Thread: E38 reflash and idle problems

Tuner

E38 reflash and idle problems

Ok not new to hptuners or tuning for that matter but getting beat with this one. Its a 2013 camaro motor and trans 6.2l and 6l80e. When purchased it had a stage 2 cam and vvt delete kit on it. I got it to fire up and drive in the 71 c10 its in. started driving it and the fan control stopped working. bypassed that and thought i just messed up the wiring and was going to figure it out latter. week goes by and the throttle pedal goes out. long story short car was wrecked and i guess it damaged the ecm.
    So now i got a new ecm with the same numbers on it. flashed same file in it. i can get it to crank and idle. If i give it any throttle and let off it drops out completely and dies. ltft is pulling out 40 to 50 of fuel. dyno is saying its lean. It started running really bad and fowled the plugs and burnt the o2 sensors. put in new plugs and o2 sensors. runs again but when put in gear now it dies immediately. Last log is with new plugs and O2 sensors.

a couple log files and current file in ecm posted.
    Attached Files Attached Files

There are 8 segments in a Gen4 ECM, your HPT file only has 6 segments. We're locked out of the two for the electronic throttle. To put a different OS in a Gen4 computer you have to use GM dealer-type flashing tools and a GM calibration from TIS/SPS.

Tuner
    So started over from scratch, got it running enough to put it in gear and get rolling but it would die most of the time. I bought this motor had a cam put in it. no sheet for the cam. seems like they jsut got one off the shelf and stuck it in. (ill build it myself from now on) I have a 3000 stall convertor in it now and it will change from park to reverse and to Drive without jerking a not in your neck. went through big mikes idle sheet and thought i had it pretty decent. fouled first set of plugs at this point. Have a new set in now dropped idle ve by 20% from 1800 down. still ltft is trying to cut 20% more out of it after warm up. has started miss firing heavily and now knock is is elevated when idled up to 2k or so. surging when staying a constant rpm also. what am i dong wrong? the more i read the worse it gets...lastrun.hpl

Tuner

Senior Tuner
    It's in blended mode. You'll have to reduce the MAF curve as well in order to lean it out.
    Or you can put it in SD mode and just tune the VVE tables.

Tuner
    ok I think ill go with SD mode. thanks kevin87turbot

Tuner

moved to sd mode

So swapped it over and tuning VVE tables. It idles fine for about a minute or so then the the o2 sensors show a steady rise to .8xx volts. i hit the gas and it drops out to .010ish sometimes. When i first started is was counting misfires constantly. i backed out 30% in the vve tables from 0 to 3000. Im trying to figure out why the two o2 sensors split and starts going crazy. changed the plugs again since it fowled 3 out again. ended up welding in an extra o2 bung on left bank exhaust pipe. To install wide band from Dyno into it. It confirmed stoich at idle and leaned out when starting to give it gas. here are the new files. Learning a lot this week about these and bigger cams. Hope Im going in the right direction.

juneSDfirststep heavyve change.hptsplit in O2 sensors.hpl

looks like your maf s/s start up is zeroed out at 154 deg. my tune shows a value at every temp
    Last edited by biholliday; 06-22-2021 at 08:20 AM. Reason: need to add

also your scaler for etc is much lower at 5.00000 mines is at 5.600000 and i have a ss sedan with 6.2 6l80

Tuner

Idle still not working with a/c on

Got everything hooked up on the a/c. thought we were good on the idle and now when the compressor kicks on it cuts down to 600 and surges and then dies. i have tried so many different idle tuning tips and pages on the e38. i have lost myself in the mess of idle tuning pages. without the a/c on it idles with about 30-45 rpms variation. turn on the a/c and it kills it. Last page i tried was reading the torque, timing, and rpms and replacing that number on the torque follower. Is that even right? i didnt see a change at all when i followed that page.

I did cross reference the etc scalar numbers difference with that is the size of the throttle body.

and yes i know there is supposed to be a kick up for the a/c but its not controlled by the bcm because it does not have one. it is in a 71 c10. so im trying to get it to just run with it on all the time. i have tried raising idle to 1100, idle air to 20 changed timing to anything up to 25 at idle.

should have just gone with a 6.0 i guess.

TORQUE WITH AIR OFF THEN ON.hpl sdmodeairflowtestfirst.hpt

its probably all messed up now but im trying.

Thanks I need help please