Thread: A4 Shift point tuning

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

A4 Shift point tuning

There are many different ways to go about this but very few have a good grasp so here is how I do it.

Example car:
    02 LS1 Camaro A4 Stock 3.23 Gears

Steps:
    1. Log at least 2 wot runs from a stop going through the 1-2 & 2-3 shifts
    2. Log at least 2 wot runs from a roll going through at minimum your 2-3 shift
    3. Review your Logs & note Both RPM & MPH at each shift
    4. Review your HPT/Bin file's current shift point RPM & MPH points
    5. Remember that there are two flags for the A4(MPH & RPM) both must be met to achieve the shift command. Also keep in mind things like desired shift times, shift pressures, TM all play a hand in how long it will take to shift.
    More art then science:
    Now here is where it may get a bit tricky for some as transmissions arent always the most consistant piece and when they heat up they tend to slip a little more & a little more so these are just general guidlines.
    1. your MPH & RPM #'s in your HPT/Bin files should be lower then your logged #'s because of both markers being needed for a shift to occur
    2. There will usually be one with a bigger difference then the other ie mph marker might be 76mph but the vehicle doesnt shift until 85mph.
    3. If #2 occurs move your mph marker closer to the actual shift mph. In the case listed above I would probably move it to 80mph and see if it still shifts at 85mph if so I might try to move it up another mph or two. I always change both the Part throttle & WOT shift mph tables to the identical # as to make things simpler.
    4. If the difference is RPM rather then MPH ie RPM marker is 6000 and actual rpm is 6500 & you actually wanted to it shift at 6500 you might be able to bump your rpms up a bit...or maybe not, but experiment a bit...just dont go overboard...remember the computer still needs time to shift.
    5. If #3 happened & you correct your UPSHIFT upwards now you can allow your downshift mph to follow a bit...use the 2d map in the part throttle shift mph table to visualize your shift patterns. I try not to affect the shift patterns much below 50% TPS because this is your crusing range & altering those areas could be detrimental to your gas mileage, but over that I try and parallel my upshift/downshift mph to an extent. Again don't go too crazy...I try and keep them about 5mph apart at each tps incriment as to not confuse the computer as to what gear to select. Again experiment a bit but use the 2d graph to visualize this as it has be a HUGE help to me and the 2d graph for up/down shifts arent even available in other editing programs making shift adjustments difficult at best
    Just remember this is only a guide and this is how I do it...there are many people/vehicles that sometimes don't cooperate and I've heard of people setting the RPM markers to 0 or the MPH markers to 0 to get the vehicle to shift properly.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

I do not think that all year LS1 based A4s shift the same. I have a 2000 C5 A4 and the MPH takes precedent over RPMs. I can set all my shift RPMs to 6200 and if I lower my MPH I can make it shift under 6200 and if I raise my MPH I can make it shift higher then 6200. So on my particular year vehicle both RPM and MPH do not have to be met in order for the car to shift. Once I establish a basic shift point I use a spread sheet to calculate rpm change based on gear. 1st gear is ~138 rpm, 2nd gear is ~73 rpm and 3rd gear is ~45 for my 3.42 rear. So if I want my car to shift 150 rpm higher in each gear I change my 1st to 2nd WOT shift mph by +1.08 mph, my 2nd to 3rd WOT shift mph by +2.05 and my 3rd to 4th WOT shift mph by +3.33. The mph you need to change for each shift will be lower for a 3.15 or a 2.73 rear but you can just scale it with simple math. Iam making the assumption that all A4 gear ratios are the same as my 2000 4L60E if not then thats why you need a spreadsheet.
    Last edited by INTHERED; 11-29-2006 at 02:25 PM.
    LINGENFELTER MAGNACHARGED 2000 A4 Torch Red Z51 Vert, Smoothline HT, LPE IC Magnacharger, Z06 cam, LPE CNC heads, CC RPM kit, LPE hood, Yank 2800, Rossler trans, Z06 rear w/300Ms, Chrome C6 Z06 rims w/PS2s, Z06 calipers w/PF carbon metallics , Eradispeeds, WCC screens, BBK 80mm TB, TB bypass, 160 TS, GM Z06 MAF, Blackwing, Corsa Pace, AR headers X-pipe & Hiflow Cats, GM HP wires, NGK TR6s, Hptuned by INTHERED with a best 1/4 mile of 10.87 @ 128.90 mph on BFG DRs

When making changes to the wot upshift mph, be sure to also change the down shift mph by the same %.
    The uphift mph has to remain higher than the downshift mph.

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    My 1999 c5 needs only for the mph marker to be met to shift (at WOT). Whatever the mph marker is, higher than rpm, or lower than rpm is when my tranny will shift. I used the Predator tuner, for now, as my HP software hasn't come yet.

NOTE for C6 Owners and anyone with the E38/E67 PCM's tuning an A4/A6 for different rear end gears:

If you use the Tire & Gear automatic changes box for changing your tire size/gear ratio make sure that if a particular box had 1.0 in it originally, that it still has 1.0 in it after the changes. If not, you will have a very wacked out trans.

BTW: I just manually calculate the new values and then use the "Manual Rescale" function to rescale the trans shift points and TCC lock/unlock points.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner
    Any tips or excel files that can help guy with getting part throttle shifting nice and fun.
    2009 G8 GT ... stock... DD

2005 GTO A4 (heads and cam ) currently broken.... last time 12.4 @ 109 (just a TC)

Sold: 2001 Chevrolet 2500HD 4X4 8100 vortec RCLB [email protected]

Senior Tuner
    I am working on something that will facilitate part throttle and WOT shift point tuning, as well as TCC apply/release tuning (via excel). But it is going to take me sometime (with an excel expert) to properly set it up. I know what I need the spread sheet to do, just having excel do it for me is the tricky part (for me). This will not be an end-all tuning doc., but a great base line for auto tuning. As auto shift point tuning is very VERY personal and custom tailored. Please be patient.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm willing to help with this if I can, I am a little rusty with excel but I am pretty good a figuring things out. I am currently fighting with trying to get my part throttle shift points to a place where I like them and I am still confused about proper TCC setup. I would be very greatful for some help on this. I don't want to end up accidentally messing up my new tranny or burning up my 3000 stall TC.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS
    I am working on something that will facilitate part throttle and WOT shift point tuning, as well as TCC apply/release tuning (via excel). But it is going to take me sometime (with an excel expert) to properly set it up. I know what I need the spread sheet to do, just having excel do it for me is the tricky part (for me). This will not be an end-all tuning doc., but a great base line for auto tuning. As auto shift point tuning is very VERY personal and custom tailored. Please be patient.

Thanks
    2009 G8 GT ... stock... DD

2005 GTO A4 (heads and cam ) currently broken.... last time 12.4 @ 109 (just a TC)

Sold: 2001 Chevrolet 2500HD 4X4 8100 vortec RCLB [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS

send me a pm, some data, and what you need it to do.....I might be able to help
    -Scott -

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    send me a pm, some data, and what you need it to do.....I might be able to help
    Sent you an email, sorry for the delay. Let me know if you need more data or logs? Thanks Scott!

Senior Tuner
    I have updated my old trans settings spreadsheet to my
    current values and here it is (Excel attachment). The only
    thing it does not have is the General Pressure settings,
    these are available only on some models last I looked and
    the old 'sheet had none of the formatting (the tedious part)
    so I didn't copy in the data.

If you see references to the "jimmyblue" shift settings in
    peoples' posts, this is them.

Note these are set up for 3.42s, 285/45R17 GS-D3 tires
    and a moderate stall speed converter.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyblue
    I have updated my old trans settings spreadsheet to my
    current values and here it is (Excel attachment). The only
    thing it does not have is the General Pressure settings,
    these are available only on some models last I looked and
    the old 'sheet had none of the formatting (the tedious part)
    so I didn't copy in the data.

If you see references to the "jimmyblue" shift settings in
    peoples' posts, this is them.

Note these are set up for 3.42s, 285/45R17 GS-D3 tires
    and a moderate stall speed converter.
    george is on to something pretty cool I think...
    I've got a worksheet he sent me with a log...
    I'm sorting data...helpng him with some lesser known and more complex excel functions...
    -Scott -

Potential Tuner
    This is the exact reason I'm going to wind up buying HPT. You go to a shop and he dynos you stuff and the engine runs great, but the tranny sucks. You know for the money I paid the people to tune this thing it looks like somebody needed to go down a road and do some logging. Which never happened and the old sayings coming back to me. Oh yea, If you want it done rite You gotta do it yourself. Saving my pennys now. One day my car will run rite.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by NC98Z
    This is the exact reason I'm going to wind up buying HPT. You go to a shop and he dynos you stuff and the engine runs great, but the tranny sucks. You know for the money I paid the people to tune this thing it looks like somebody needed to go down a road and do some logging. Which never happened and the old sayings coming back to me. Oh yea, If you want it done rite You gotta do it yourself. Saving my pennys now. One day my car will run rite.
    Yeah, even if you don't purchase a wideband as a newbie just knowing what you like, drivability wise, and making it as such through tuning can make your experience. I had so many drivability issues with my heads/cam combination but knowing what the car was doing and knew what it felt like it SHOULD be doing and when was the easy part. IE i had TC lockup issues that were easily fixed, then adjusted to suite my tastes. Also part throttle upshift/downshift points, again can be done to your taste. Obviously you know when you want it to downshift when you go 100% tps...with just a couple of clicks you can make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners
    ....Obviously you know when you want it to downshift when you go 100% tps...with just a couple of clicks you can make it happen.
    uhhhh well most of the time anyways
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Like NZ98 this is also the reason I put in the order over the weekend.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    If your transmission isn't shifting at wot where you think it should be shifting follow the guidelines here(LS1 pcm's) http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...t=output+shaft
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 05-01-2012 at 05:20 AM.

Tuner
    My 2005 Silverado Z71 5.3 is throwing the first shift... Stiill can't get it.

Here is a tuning thread that may help:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31591
    -SOLD- 1999 Pewter Metallic Camaro SS. LS1/M6. True Dual Full Exhaust/LS7 clutch/MGW/Lid/Poly/Self tune.
    -SOLD- 2006 Quicksilver Metallic GTO. LS2/A4. Cam/Exhaust/Stall. 11.74@116, 1.61 60ft +2,000 DA
    -SOLD- 2013 Arctic White Corvette LS3/M6. Stock. 12.5 @ 116, 2.01 60ft +2,000 DA