Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time reading '05 LLY

Potential Tuner

First time reading '05 LLY

Tried 4-5 times and it gets about 70% done and keeps saying read failed.

From doing a bit of searching it looks like I might need to remove the radio fuse. Is there anything else that might be causing problems? I don't have OnStar on the truck. Everything else was off. I have an electronic brake controller but that goes off automatically I think when there's no trailer plugged in.

Thanks,
    Craig
    '01 Trans Am WS6
    '05 GMC crew cab Duramax

Tuner
    pull radio, radio amp and info fuse underneath the hood if they are in there. Try that and report back with results.

Jon
    2003 Chevy LB7 Duramax/Allison
    4" MBRP exhaust, Pricol EGT & Boost Guage, HP tuning
    Westin platinum series bars, access cover, bed rug, drawtite hidden gooseneck receiver, 265/75R16 Michellin M/S LTX Load range E

On the way, Kennedy boost valve
    In the works, Kennedy airbox mod

2006 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
    Full stage one (Air cleaner, pipes, tune)

2004 Pontiac GTO 346 CI with CAI, Long Tubes, Cam and tune, 390RWHP - Traded in

Craig -

If you've got any in-line tuners, they'll also cause that sort of problem (Edge, Six-Gun, etc.)

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the replies so far. I don't have any in-line tuners. Truck is completely stock except for my trailer brake controller. Tried pulling the radio fuse last weekend and still did the exact same thing. Gets to around 70% then I get a "timed out" error.

I'll try pulling the radio and info fuses both tonite. Don't think the non-bose sound system has an amp fuse to pull.
    Craig
    '01 Trans Am WS6
    '05 GMC crew cab Duramax

I've had the same problem on an '05 LLY as well. I haven't tried pulling any fuses, and it's failing around 70%, while reading the TCM. The error was for a different block each time. It usually takes a few tries for it to read, gets frustrating when it gets about 6 minutes in and stops...
    I'll try the fuses next time.
    2005 Sierra Z71 SLT CCSB (LM7)
    STS GT67, LPE GT 2-3, ASP Pulley, Delphi 42#, A'PEXi AVC-R, PLX SM-AFR, FLT Level 5 4L65E, PI Vig 2600, HP Tuners with 2-Bar SD OS (Plus some smaller mods)

Support our Troops

Tuner
    I continually have the problem, but thought it was an issue with my truck. Sometimes while it is retrying, I can click on the box to switch to low speed and it will read, takes a while, but works.

Jon
    2003 Chevy LB7 Duramax/Allison
    4" MBRP exhaust, Pricol EGT & Boost Guage, HP tuning
    Westin platinum series bars, access cover, bed rug, drawtite hidden gooseneck receiver, 265/75R16 Michellin M/S LTX Load range E

On the way, Kennedy boost valve
    In the works, Kennedy airbox mod

2006 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
    Full stage one (Air cleaner, pipes, tune)

2004 Pontiac GTO 346 CI with CAI, Long Tubes, Cam and tune, 390RWHP - Traded in

Potential Tuner
    I -finally- got it to read last night.....in SNAIL MODE. Took 30 min. Tried reading a couple times with the radio, amp and info fuses removed and that still didn't work. It fails in different locations also. Fortunately, I won't have to read the PCM that much in the future, because that sucks.

I'd really like to know WHY this is such a problem???

Craig
    '01 Trans Am WS6
    '05 GMC crew cab Duramax

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    from what I've been reading on this forum as well as dieselplace.com its a communication problem caused by various things such as a remote start, satillite radio, aftermarket stereo's and things of that nature that interupt the communication between the hardware & your pcm. Most just suggest running in low speed mode or removing fuses...doesnt seem to be a clear fix & its not just hptuners that has this problem
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Glad you got yours read, Craig.

Both of our LLY's took a couple tries, too, but not as many as it sounded like yours did.

Potential Tuner
    So this is a problem with EFI live or some others out there too? Well I guess I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was starting to think it was either HPT related or user error (most likely).

Now I just need to learn (alot) about diesel tuning. LOL. This TCM looks NOTHING like the car PCM's I'm used to messing with.

Thanks,
    Craig
    '01 Trans Am WS6
    '05 GMC crew cab Duramax

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I was talking to a local efilive user that had this problem early on...his eventual fix was to remove the radio, remote start & some other fuse...he also bought a 1 to 4 usb connector of some type...he didnt get a chance to show me tonight I'll see if I can see which one he got so I can offer you more advice, but yeah its not just an hpt issue it seems to be a communication issue of some sort where something in the system is trying to talk to the pcm while hpt is which interupts things...again I'll see what exact info I can dig up so things go as smooth as they possibly can.

Advanced Tuner
    I think I remember reading awhile back about a similar problem with the Trailblazers. I believe there solution was to shutoff the ignition switch once they started downloading to eliminate the other modules from interfering. It may be worth a shot.

Tim

I was just thinking about this thread today, since I had all that trouble with the '05 LLY I tuned. I'm going to be working on an LB7 this week. It appears that on the LLY it always failed during the TCM read. Could we get a checkbox somewhere that could select if we want to read the PCM only or PCM and TCM? I have not and do not plan to make any changes to the TCM right now. People I've talked with say just leaving adapt enabled works well for most.
    STS GT67, LPE GT 2-3, ASP Pulley, Delphi 42#, A'PEXi AVC-R, PLX SM-AFR, FLT Level 5 4L65E, PI Vig 2600, HP Tuners with 2-Bar SD OS (Plus some smaller mods)

Support our Troops

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    might wanna put in a feature request rather then leaving it in this section, it probably wont happen for a while though, chris has already stated possibly in the future, but because they combined the PCM/TCM I don't think theres an easy way to do it currently.

Tuner in Training
    on my 03 it did this to me a few time at first,fail on the tcm read/write, but if i turn the key so its almost starts but not start it, it works. just put the key in the normal position and then turn it slightly more towards the start position and then try it.

Potential Tuner
    Ok, so that last post strikes an interesting question......

Should the key be in the "run" position or "accessory" position? I am reading in the "run" position (2nd click forward right before starter engages). First click forward is the accy.

This is the way I've always used HPT on other vehicles.
    Craig
    '01 Trans Am WS6
    '05 GMC crew cab Duramax

Tuner
    Did a 05 today,same thing,had to read it at slow speed to save the file.Customer just ask me to remove speed limiter and set his speedo with 35" tires.New at diesel tuning.If anybody have some info to add H.P & torque for a 05,can you send the info my way please.
    Thanks

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontiac4ever
    Ok, so that last post strikes an interesting question......

Should the key be in the "run" position or "accessory" position? I am reading in the "run" position (2nd click forward right before starter engages). First click forward is the accy.

This is the way I've always used HPT on other vehicles.
    Craig
    run position, just before the starter engages.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

I'm trying to read an '03 right now, failed first time. Trying it in low speed right now. I don't know what position the key is in right now.

Support our Troops