Thread: Setting up NGK AFX Wideband to read Lambda

Tuner in Training

Setting up NGK AFX Wideband to read Lambda

My NGK AFX is currently set up to read AFR in HP Tuners and not Lambda (MPVI2 Pro). While the NGK AFX display will only read-out in AFR, I would like HP Tuners to read and display in Lambda. Is it possible to change the NGK-AFX Function: (input/0.7142857) + 9 = Output in user defined to accurately display in Lambda? In an effort to accomplish this, I changed the function to read as follows, (Input/0.6177) + 1.0981 = Output. With this change, when the NGK AFX displayed 14.5, HP Tuners would display .75. So now it should be clear, I don't have the slightest idea of what the hell I am doing. What should I input in user defined for the NGK AFX to read in Lambda, Function: (Input/______) + ______ = Output. Looking for some help.

Tuner in Training
    I believe I have found the answer to my question. The NGK AFX is the same as the Ballenger AFR500. On Ballenger's web site, under technical data for the AFR500, they provide the Tuning School spreadsheet which provides both the AFR and Lambda inputs for HP Tuners. The spreadsheet provides the following inputs: Function: (Input/10.41666667) + 0.618 = Output. I will give this a whirl tomorrow.

Tuner in Training
    Changed the HP Tuner input values for the NGK AFX as directed by the Tuning School spreadsheet for Lambda (Input/10.41666667) + 0.618 = Output). Scanning the vehicle, the air fuel ratio displayed in HP Tuners for Lambda was stuck on .8 while the NGK AFX display was constantly oscillating between 14.3 - 14.6. Could not get the the HP Tuners displayed value for Lambda to change or follow throttle position changes while the AFX display would follow these changes. Long winded way of saying I still don't have this figured out. Still looking for help!

Senior Tuner
    try this for Lambda (input/10.5042) + 0.613 or unless your afr max/min values are wrong is it 9 to 16 afr or 9 to 20 afr ? if its 9-20 then try this one (input/6.6934) + 0.613 if either one is good but has a constant error (like its .2 out thru the range) then u may have a voltage offset so then just adjust the 0.613 value up or down by that error value to make it read true then it should be good

Tuner in Training
    Found the problem. I have a connector on the Pro Link and the NGK AFX so I can switch easily between gauges and leave the wiring in place, hidden. The ground connection between the NGK AFX, Pro Link and MPVI2 was open. Once I fixed the connector (Open Grd) the Scanner would accurately record Lambda and AFR. Problem solved, off and running. Thanks for the response and help 07GTS.

Potential Tuner
    @jxhunte could you provide some details on how you determine this? I have a AFX2 gauge and my tuner is saying it is off a bit, so trying to determine if I am having a issues withe the gauge or do I need to edit the PIDs. Mine shows lambda but my tuner said it is off a bit. Wondering if I am possibly having a ground issue too.