Thread: SIMOS 18 basic tuning

Tuner in Training

SIMOS 18 basic tuning

Hi, I just got my hands on a 2015 GTI with DSG transmission, so far I have accomplished nothing with the changes i've made, I know is that the ECM is torque based, and found very little information about it, so I thought the way to go is to raise the torque request. I started by logging the basic engine parameters, IAT, ECT, engine torque, torque limits, desired MAP, sensed MAP, some timing parameters and other stuff fom a run with the original cal to compare to. Then I started by raising torque limits on driver demand and requested torque tables as well as monitoring in the same areas, this did nothing to engine torque output, then I raised the desired inlet pressure by a fair ammount, while this did increase boost a little, it kept backing off timing with the same result, having accomplished little or nothing with the previous changes I spent some time modifying the ATT and TTA tables as well as the Spark effects efficiency with no substantial changes in performance.
    I am not new to tuning but mostly I can work my way around airflow based ECMs and some older torque based stuff, but I hit a wall on this, I hope some of you can help me out and tell me what i'm missing. Cheers.

Cuau.2015GTItn6.hptgti7.hplbaseline.hpl

It doesn't look like you are logging knock retard (cyl 1-4). I would go back to your stock airflow / torque targets and do a pull with your richer air fuel mixture. My car was very knock prone once I added some fuel. You will need to pull a considerable amount of timing compared to stock running near 14.7 AFR.

HPT doesn't have the ability to log requested torque from the ECM, but since you are DSG you can log it from the TCM. It is called Trans Engine Torque Request.

Set your Max PR table under Airflow - Turbocharger to roughly .3 Bar higher then you want to hit if you are at or close to sea level. This will keep you from requesting too much boost in case you accidently ask for a ton of torque.

After that go back to your Max torque at clutch tables and start working your torque request up. I'm still trying to find a few limiters, but this should get you started.
    Previous
    2007 Mustang GT w/ Whipple supercharger
    2013 Focus ST
    2016 Volkswagen GTI

Current
    2019 Golf R

Advanced Tuner
    Here's a file if you want to try it out or compare to what you have now.

Also attached is a good log list

I also increased several values via user defined parameters-- see screenshot.

Raise MAP limit from 240 to 280 kpa
    Raise a few airmass limiters from 1389 to 1800 mg/stk
    Hot PE set to match PE table
    Raise a few torque limit tables to 500 lb-ft

Ultimately this is designed to cap at around 270 kPa and then taper boost down. Or around 1500 mg/stk max. Timing tables not touched in this file.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by aaronc7; 02-15-2021 at 10:47 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for your replies, today I tried the changes suggested, made a few runs and things improved quite a bit, it seems that the engine delivered torque is overall lower in 3rd+gear than it is in second gear, used aaron's channels list, but I missed a few limiters my VCM editor doesn't display, or at least I couldn't see them anywhere throughout the file. Also not shown in any of the logs I made but the speed limiter was not affected by the changes I made in the file.
    Is there any other way to modify those parameters my regular VCM editor doesn't display? Do I need to purchase the user defined parameter feature, or maybe I'm missing other stuff. Thanks again, I attached the most recent log and tune files.2015gti170221.hptgti15.hpl2015gti170221.hptgti15.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    I think I made the "base v2" file with your file, so you should just be able to use and flash that one. that file has the 'hidden' tables changed etc.

If that's not the case, I can mod the file you just posted. I don't have HPT on this computer, I will check up on it later and let you know.

The speed limiter defined in HPT does not work-- I *think* the ones in my user defined XDF are correct

Tuner in Training
    Thank you Aaron, the "base v2" file has a different VIN/SN to it, I didn't even tried to upload it to the car, I will appreciate if you can make the changes to my file. Cheers

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CamHaro View Post
    Thank you Aaron, the "base v2" file has a different VIN/SN to it, I didn't even tried to upload it to the car, I will appreciate if you can make the changes to my file. Cheers
    Here is your latest posted file, with the user defined edits as I posted above. Basically raising speed limit to 200 mph, and increasing some airmass limiters to 1800mg and a few torque table limits to 500 lb-ft

Some of the other tables were recently added to the software itself so I see you made those changes yourself.

Let us know if this is a positive change!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    maybe today in the afternoon I'll try these changes, of course I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks!