Thread: 2002 GMC Safari 4.3

Tuner in Training

2002 GMC Safari 4.3

I?m new and haven?t a clue what I?m doing. I have keen a tech for 20 years but this is a whole new ball game. Looking for help to get the best of both worlds hp/mpg. An help would be appreciated. If there is an expert of the sorts I would be happy to compensate them for their help

Regards
    Graham

Hey Graham. I am fairly recent to this stuff myself. Only a few years. As with most changes you would make to a vehicle you need to decide what your final outcome will be. Looks like yours is to remain stock but want to just make things a little better. Correct me if I am wrong.

There are several videos on YouTube that will get you going. Just look up with the words "getting started HP tuners" or "beginning HP tuners" Also in the https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...o-and-how-to-s section this will help you out a bunch. Hasn't been updated in a while but it is packed with helpful info. I would say your only downfall with HP tuners is it has a pretty steep learning curve. Since you are just starting I would put the Editor "the program you use to modify software" in the Basic setting. Top menu go to editor/view/basic. Otherwise you will be swamped with options that could get you lost. Downside to basic is that if you have a question on a tune someone may be telling you how to fix it using the advance features and you would not see it being in basic.

On to tuning. Stock engine will respond (in my opinion) the best to transmission modification. Look around for a program called "BlueCat" it is a free program that you input the trans you have and it modifies sh*t so it shifts like a dream. Soft when you are putting around and firm when you are not.

Next would likely be timing and fuel control. It is difficult to get the best of both worlds. You would need to throw a little timing in and of course to much will break you motor. Just the same as if you had a 60's muscle car. Remember no matter how technical this stuff is you still always come down to spark fuel can compression. Next and more difficult would be fuel. To get both worlds you would need to fatten the WOT a little and lean the light throttle a little. Please note that I can't emphasize the words "a little". Big changes can equal big money because you just broke your motor. Same thing if you underjett'd a Holley carb and it ran lean or a little to much timing and you broke a piston.

When you get the hang of the little stuff you can get to the advanced part. Get ready for you divorce because you will end up glued to a computer monitor looking at youtube videos instead of brazzers vidoes for fun.

More stuff
    When and if you start getting into this you will need a wideband AFR setup. They have become very inexpensive.
    Most important is just start out small. Drive and see what actually happens. "Logging" your tune means you are using the HP Tuners "Scanner" The lightning bolt. It will gather what is going on while the engine is running. Before you disconnect make sure you go to the menu and select save or save as. Give it a GOOD name. Things like date or time and what you had just done with the editor. This creates a little file of you drive. It will let others with more experience see exactly how you vehicle is running. The "Tune file" is the open end wrench. Each time you change anything do the same as in giving its name something that lets you know what you did so you will remember. Like "ChangedSparkMondayAfterLunch.hpt". There are some guys on here that do this on a regular basis and are EXTREMELY helpful. Just remember to ask follow up questions if you don't understand or you get an acronym that you don't know. As you get better you start speaking a different language and just assume everyone knows what you are saying. I have been told this a few times over the years as a dealership tech.

If someone mentions something you want more info on your first thing is to open a second window and load this in. https://www.hptuners.com/help/
    It will help with some of this new language you will be learning. It is like a dictionary so it has limitations but may answer a ton of questions before you swamp the forum with the little stuff. Have fun.

Vanimal ... given that you are in Ontario, you may want to contact "LRtronix". They do wiring harnesses and tuning.

I worked with them on a project a few years back ... they seemed to know what they were doing.

I have no idea if they support your V6 Vortec platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    Vanimal ... given that you are in Ontario, you may want to contact "LRtronix". They do wiring harnesses and tuning.

I worked with them on a project a few years back ... they seemed to know what they were doing.

I have no idea if they support your V6 Vortec platform.
    They do support the Safari 4.3 1998-2005

There are a number of great schools and online programs that can give you the base knowledge to begin tuning on your own. I suggest looking into The Tuning School for information.
    Owner/Tuner@Evolution Automotive Performance
    Lincoln, Ne