Thread: 17 Silverado Tune Review

17 Silverado Tune Review

17 Silverado 5.3L with 2.9L whipple, Been playing with this thing on the Dyno and would appreciate any insight on how to get a little more aggressive numbers out of it. Still a work in progress, low and high octane tables mimic each other at the moment but will be scaled properly once done. Whipple's sight shows they make 450 rwhp with this kit and I can't seem to get above 415 rwhp. Running 94 Oct E10, Running pretty good and not hitting any limits yet that I can see and a solid 11.8afr at wot.

Is it advantageous to work on SOI and EOI with a stock cam? It was previously tuned with what I think was a whipple's tune but the AFR wasn't in good shape and it had some surging going on. Made 440 rwhp on the initial pulls when it came in.

Bill-Read-1 = 440rwhp This is what was in it when it came in
    File-Pull = read file after factory GM file installed in truck
    TTS-5-ECM-TCM = What I've been working on 415 rwhp
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by brewster; 02-14-2021 at 11:52 AM.

no power enrichment

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfool007 View Post
    no power enrichment
    Expand on that ?? It's dropping into PE and maintaining 11.8 afr through out the run.

You can't go and just max out all the torque tables under torque mngt. Setting the peak torque to 800 for all cells is the wrong way to do thing. That needs to be fixed. Your peak torque, engine torque and delievered engine torque aren't close right now. It should maintain a similar slope like the factory has it, not just a flat line.

Your transmission won't live long either if you disable it's torque mgnt on the upshifts and power downshifts.

I only did a quick glance at it.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    11.8 is rich for direct injection and you need more fuel almost 7 ms pulsewidth is too high around 5000 RPMs

I'd aim for low 12's depending on boost level. With only have a 1 bar sensor it's not easy to see what it's making.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Thanks for the feedback, I figured peak torque might just be a limiter and wasn't quite sure it's exact role in the torque tuning of these gen v. I'll did have it slightly raised previously and this was more of a test with it to see how it reacted.

We just fully built the Trans with GPZ, billet Gpz torqkit, (all clutches are gpz)
    Billet intermediate
    Billet lower/rear planetary
    Billet sonnax 1-2-3-4 piston
    Sonnax upgraded 4-5-6 piston and pressure plate kit
    Single billet converter
    Billet rotor.
    Upgraded steel pressure relief valve
    Reman sonnax valve body
    Steel clutch select valves
    All new bearings and bushings

We're excited to remove a lot of the torque management in the Trans and see how long we can make it live especially once we get a hold of the Trans tuning side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnite Magic View Post
    11.8 is rich for direct injection and you need more fuel almost 7 ms pulsewidth is too high around 5000 RPMs
    Yea someone mentioned the factory injectors might be an issue and I wasn't quite sure on how much pw is to much. Duty cycle seems low, guessing duty cycle isn't as important as seeing how much pw it's using? What's a max pw one would want to see?

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I'd aim for low 12's depending on boost level. With only have a 1 bar sensor it's not easy to see what it's making.
    Any chances you have a part number for a 2 bar map so I can get that coming?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by brewster View Post
    Any chances you have a part number for a 2 bar map so I can get that coming?

General Motors 12592525, Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor

I also have a 17 Silverado 5.3L with the Whipple. I've been tuning mine since October 2020. I'll be interested in seeing your progress as you go along!
    I rescaled the zones in my VVE table after installing the above sensor. I attached a copy of my latest tune here incase you want to compare mine with yours.
    Note this tune is set for VVE tuning.

Thanks,
    -Batsy
    Last edited by batsy74; 02-15-2021 at 03:43 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Here is the tune I mentioned above.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by batsy74 View Post
    General Motors 12592525, Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor

I also have a 17 Silverado 5.3L with the Whipple. I've been tuning mine since October 2020. I'll be interested in seeing your progress as you go along!
    I rescaled the zones in my VVE table after installing the above sensor. I attached a copy of my latest tune here incase you want to compare mine with yours.
    Note this tune is set for VVE tuning.

Thanks,
    -Batsy
    Appreciate the help! Long road to success in this game and a lot to learn on the daily.

Does the IAT sensor have to get scaled because of it being installed in the manifold now ?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by brewster View Post
    Does the IAT sensor have to get scaled because of it being installed in the manifold now ?
    I've been wondering that too. What I did was, I took the tune that Whipple sent me and used their IAT scale. I figure it'd be "what it should be" seeing that it was installed in the manifold now and Whipple changed the scale knowing we are just moving it. Maybe I'm in left field though. Maybe too much confidence in the Whipple folks... But I trusted them enough to put their equipment under the hood...
    -Batsy

I've been wondering that too. What I did was, I took the tune that Whipple sent me and used their IAT scale. I figure it'd be "what it should be" seeing that it was installed in the manifold now and Whipple changed the scale knowing we are just moving it. Maybe I'm in left field though. Maybe too much confidence in the Whipple folks... But I trusted them enough to put their equipment under the hood...
    -Batsy
    I'll have to get with Whipple and get a copy of the ori tune file and see what they have on the go with the IAT transfer.

Tuner in Training
    The tune they send will be locked. Load it and then read it back to see what they sent.

I'd be super interested to see what they send you. Be sure to tell them what MAP sensor you are running. I think the first tune they sent was for the "General Motors 12592525, Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor" not the stock one I was running at the time.

The tune they send will be locked. Load it and then read it back to see what they sent.

I'd be super interested to see what they send you. Be sure to tell them what MAP sensor you are running. I think the first tune they sent was for the "General Motors 12592525, Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor" not the stock one I was running at the time.
    Hey sorry I just seen this now, Been working many hours lately. I'll report back asap when I make some headway for sure.