Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E38 VATS disable not working

Tuner

E38 VATS disable not working

I've searched and searched and done what the write ups said. I've been tuning for a long time and never had any problems until this month.

the last two E38's I needed to unlock for swaps didn't take. I thought nothing of the first one and used a known VATS-disabled PCM I have. This is the second time. I read entire. Save file. Change the VATS 1 and 2 to disabled. Save File. Close File. Open File. Write Entire.

still no crank. Okay.. Read Entire. disable starter checks in the OS and in the System Tab. Delete codes in Engine Diagnostics->DTCs. Write Entire.

Nada. Afterwards I would try to write VIN/Tunerlock/VATS. or write calibration (going out on a limb).. nothing works to get it to crank/run.

what am I missing?

I'll attach the two files below.

09 G8 GT vats disable reread write tunerlock.hpt

Read after Write Entire.hpt

The tune shouldn't be the reason it doesn't crank. If you can't get the starter to engage that sounds like another problem. Arc the starter with a screw driver, if it turns over and runs then you are looking at a different problem.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Put a known good ECM into the car, and it cranks. But neither of ones I flashed to remove VATS crank the vehicle.

Both of them are in current cars. So they would have controlled cranking, if that makes sense. There?s a G8 running a built LS3. That was the one I had to put a known good PCM in.

This second one is a 2014 Camaro with a 2013 ECM trying to fire up a built LS3. But it won?t crank or fire. It?s not a street car anymore, so the VATS needs to removed for it to start. But for now it?s just sitting. Can?t seem to get any traction on it. It doesn?t make sense why I can?t get the VATS disabled if I?ve 1) done it before and 2) others are able. Must be something I?m forgetting or missing.

Senior Tuner
    You might try going into the DTC list and set everything you can find that has to do with VATS to NER. I know there is one or two that has to do with wrong or improper immobilizer key.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    You might try going into the DTC list and set everything you can find that has to do with VATS to NER. I know there is one or two that has to do with wrong or improper immobilizer key.
    did this and then did another write entire. still no go.

Senior Tuner
    Was just grasping at straws since I've never had an issue disabling VATS on a E38.

Tuner
    Was just grasping at straws since I've never had an issue disabling VATS on a E38.
    what's your method? since I can't seem to get it right..

Senior Tuner
    I disable vats 1 and 2 and starter checks, save the file then write entire. Done it on a lot of E38s for swaps. It always works. I never use write vin/tunerlock/vats. None of the versions I use will open your files so I don't know. Maybe it's a bug in the HPT version you're using. One reason I don't upgrade. I know what I use works. Have you tried contacting support.

The terminology on these items has always melted my brain. Does 'Disabled' disable VATS? Or does 'Enabled' mean it applies the patch disables VATS??! Whatever. If it were me I'd change them to the opposite of whatever they are now and see what happens.

Tuner
    I disable vats 1 and 2 and starter checks, save the file then write entire. Done it on a lot of E38s for swaps. It always works. I never use write vin/tunerlock/vats. None of the versions I use will open your files so I don't know. Maybe it's a bug in the HPT version you're using. One reason I don't upgrade. I know what I use works. Have you tried contacting support.
    I haven?t. It takes ages and the help here is usually faster. Do you happen to have a copy of your version of editor you could email over? I?ll try support, too.

Tuner
    They?re set to not have VATS. Turning them on would make it never start. But I do know what you mean.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsgarage View Post
    They?re set to not have VATS. Turning them on would make it never start. But I do know what you mean.
    Can you read out the one that actually starts and runs? Maybe it has an SD tune? or is calibrated for a different MAP or MAF or injector?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    Can you read out the one that actually starts and runs? Maybe it has an SD tune? or is calibrated for a different MAP or MAF or injector?
    It won?t even crank.

It?s like the edits I make don?t write.

I turn off vats 1 and 2, and starter checks. But it won?t crank and it continues to complain about the VATS in the display.

I?ve had this before and I did a Write Entire with a tune I knew had vats and starter disabled. That tune worked.. but as you might know: writing entire with a different OS or VIN often corrupts an E38. I?d rather this ECM just turn off the VATS and starter.

Senior Tuner
    You had mentioned in your second post that you had installed a known good ECM in the car and it cranked.

Anyway, you need to disable the starter fault checks. Go to System>General>Starter Relay and disable the start relay check.

What Kevin said, delete starter relay (disable)
    I’m going to go on a limb and say you have an aftermarket harness

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Senior Tuner
    I've searched and searched and done what the write ups said. I've been tuning for a long time and never had any problems until this month.

the last two E38's I needed to unlock for swaps didn't take. I thought nothing of the first one and used a known VATS-disabled PCM I have. This is the second time. I read entire. Save file. Change the VATS 1 and 2 to disabled. Save File. Close File. Open File. Write Entire.

still no crank. Okay.. Read Entire. disable starter checks in the OS and in the System Tab. Delete codes in Engine Diagnostics->DTCs. Write Entire.

Nada. Afterwards I would try to write VIN/Tunerlock/VATS. or write calibration (going out on a limb).. nothing works to get it to crank/run.

what am I missing?

I'll attach the two files below.

09 G8 GT vats disable reread write tunerlock.hpt

Read after Write Entire.hpt
    It won?t even crank.

It?s like the edits I make don?t write.

I turn off vats 1 and 2, and starter checks. But it won?t crank and it continues to complain about the VATS in the display.

I?ve had this before and I did a Write Entire with a tune I knew had vats and starter disabled. That tune worked.. but as you might know: writing entire with a different OS or VIN often corrupts an E38. I?d rather this ECM just turn off the VATS and starter.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    You had mentioned in your second post that you had installed a known good ECM in the car and it cranked.

Anyway, you need to disable the starter fault checks. Go to System>General>Starter Relay and disable the start relay check.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    I?m going to go on a limb and say you have an aftermarket harness

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    I?m going to go on a limb and say you have an aftermarket harness
    two stock harnesses and one aftermarket, yes.

I'll triple check the starter relay checks in a bit here.

THANK YOU GUYS for helping me. I did finally put a support request in.. as i tried a fresh junkyard ECM and it wouldn't remove the VATS either

Tuner
    Ben,

just triple checked that they're disabled now. Still no luck. Even tried it in another car in case it was a harness issue.

Tuner
    edit: deleted for double post

Tuner in Training
    Is the version of the editor you're using now the same as what you were using back when you had done it without issues before? I 2nd it sounding like a bug in the editor.