Thread: Cold start is killing me

Cold start is killing me

Hey guys, i'm having a problem with cold start on a turbo 4.8 running speed density. It starts then dies and at the end it shoots 50ms worth of fuel. Then when i try to start again, which may take multiple tries, its so rich it stumbles and i have to give a little pedal to help until it picks up on its own at about 60ECT. Even then its using both spark and blade to get to idle(850). I feel that i've tried everything to the point i'm chasing my tail. Would someone take a look and tell me what i'm missing? Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

here's another log and tune where i've made changes trying to fix

Senior Tuner
    make your main spark idle area at least 10 deg higher then the idle spark table, it its the same value then it sometimes cant add adaptive spark in and yours is wanting 14 deg added but its not adding any, only a little from the ect adder table, once its started u can see it pegging the timing when it goes flat its wanting to add but it cant for that same reason, try this tune out few changes should get it fired up, also should populate the OL gas, gear, ivt back to like stock for cold enrichment
    Attached Files Attached Files

You mentioned the ECT adder table. Do you mean the table under min airflow? Add air in the hard to start temps?

I added some timing like you suggested, and it did help, but it turns out startup fuel and the IVT tables were way rich. I took alot out of startup fuel and adjusted the IVT until ECTs got too high. I guess we'll find out tomorrow its supposed to be in the 20s in the morning, which is rare for Alabama. If I get it right in the AM, it should be good the majority of the time down here. Thanks

Senior Tuner
    no the ect adder was the timing adder not the min air, the tune i attached i made changes to as there was a couple others to help also like the effective area max fail was on 60 now its 200 as that limit is used when u go to maf failed and it limits the TB opening for cold start

Advanced Tuner
    I assume there is a new camshaft? Cut start flare spark retard in half, add 3 degrees to idle spark advance. Always too much info missing from problem posts.

Hey guys i appreciate the help.yeah GTS i realized what you were talking about when i looked closer. Now i need to do something with fuel. it cranks and runs @ 50ECT, but its rich as hell. whats the best way to adjust fuel in cold temps, the VE is great at operating temps. should i use FLOW RATE MULTI VS IAT or MAIN VE CHARGE TEMP MULTIPLIER, i believe the airflow is good it pops right off, and i've adjusted the IVT but it don't help it wont match commanded until i get this cold fueling under control. when ECT reaches 90-100 its perfect. OH MAN so close. BTW yeah its cammed i failed to mention that