Thread: Creating a DSP4 switchable tune for 2019 GMC canyon

Tuner in Training

Wink Creating a DSP4 switchable tune for 2019 GMC canyon

Ive been doing tons of research over the last few weeks on how to tune my truck like those guys on EFI live do it but through the hardware i already own with HP tuners. It seems that in the repository someone uploaded a DSP4 tune (switchable between 4 tunes on the fly) for a 2016 colorado. same engine and vcm as the canyon and ive been combing through the file to get information as to what is different from a standard one position tune. I cant seem to find it.

First off, how does a DSP4 switch work? Do you have to flash the computer for each setpoint? like the stock tune flashed when knob on the 1 position and a tow when knob in the 2 position so that it remembers what tune you set the knob in for later... or is it all within the E98 and this knob just tells it to view some different tables. not alot of info out there on this

secondly how do i write these tunes then if it just recognizes different tables which ones and how do i tell the ECU what to read and when.

I attached a stock so if your curious we can review them but dont want to put the DSP4 one on here so we keep from my thread being deleted

FYI im talking about the diesel here not a v6 gaser

Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    https://www.duramaxforum.com/threads...tch-do.110829/

I may have found a answer with a similar switch used on the bigger trucks. apparently it reduces voltage to a couple of pins and tells the ECU to read from a different table.

what table that is depends on the ECU and what voltage you reduced it to. There seems to be pattern 1 and 2 with modes 0 through 12 in the timing tab for main event. Ill post an update here if i can figure out which tables it reads from for each respective setting on the dial

I know edge has a programmer that can store multiple HPtuner files to switch between tunes. Not sure if it will do it on the fly though. Been meaning to give one a try. https://edgeproducts.com/pro/
    https://edgeproducts.com/pro/

Tuner in Training
    seems like the DSP4 is much cheaper more stock appearing way to get the same result

https://www.xtremediesel.com/duramax-tuner-dsp4-switch

Tuner in Training

2.8 duramax tuning

https://download.efilive.com/Tutoria...er%20Guide.pdf

so EFIlive makes a guide to this switch and it seems as if previous users have made a DSP4 tune and uploaded to the repository as this attached one below

2016 DPS4 switchable.hpt

I see from his tune alot of tables were modified even things like tire size and some engine error codes that i might not modify.

the EFI live guide shows 4 complete sets of all parameters as if one was to make 4 complete tunes. this one i downloaded only seems to show one tune.

am i reading it wrong? i know @rickleepierce91 has some experience with tuning this truck but havent gotten any reply out of him to get insight to what he did to get the DSP4 different from a standard one tune option.

Tuner in Training
    I’m not an EFI user but it looks like they flash a new OS in that has the 4 lots of tune tables you can edit.
    Maybe HPT User Defined Parameters can do this but I’m not sure.

Tuner in Training
    That looks correct to me as well peasy. I was looking at the tune i found here and its a different OS than what is stock on a 2016.

Stock OS is 55493455
    The 2016 DSP4 OS is 65493455

Next question is do i need to get that OS from HPtuners support to work with a 2019 or can i somehow flash this 2016 tune onto my 2019... i doubt the second is true.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by vogner16 View Post
    That looks correct to me as well peasy. I was looking at the tune i found here and its a different OS than what is stock on a 2016.

Stock OS is 55493455
    The 2016 DSP4 OS is 65493455

Next question is do i need to get that OS from HPtuners support to work with a 2019 or can i somehow flash this 2016 tune onto my 2019... i doubt the second is true.
    So from reading the EFIlive E98 guide they say the OS changes the first two digits from 55 to 65 for a DSP4 OS, so that is the same OS as your but with the extra tables.

I would gather that you should be able to flash it fine then, but with the other edits mentioned I would go through it thoroughly.

From the Guide:

"Reopen the file so EFILive will recognise the file is a DSP4 converted operating system. Please take note of the new operating system (OS) number of the DSP4 converted file. E.g., 55597308 now becomes 65597308

EFILive automatically populates the new DSP4 tables with factory pickup truck values during the upgrade to get you started. On modified engines these may not be suitable settings, you may need to copy your own tables in to the new DSP4 section(s). Any existing tables from your old converted tune are now located in the "DSP4 Program #4" folder.

Once you have made the necessary changes (or even if you do not make changes) to your individual tunes, save the tune file again and FULL FLASH the ECM using V8 Scan and Tune. The Full Flash only needs to be done once to get the new DSP4 OS in to the ECM, calibration only flashing is all that is needed for additional tuning changes to any of the switchable maps.

Full Flash is required to revert to a factory operating system (single tune)."

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by d0u8l3m View Post
    So from reading the EFIlive E98 guide they say the OS changes the first two digits from 55 to 65 for a DSP4 OS, so that is the same OS as your but with the extra tables.

I would gather that you should be able to flash it fine then, but with the other edits mentioned I would go through it thoroughly. "
    I guess i dont understand what you mean by just change the first two digits from 55 to 65. the OS represented in digits is mearly a unique key to define the tables that are associated with that motor right? The OS is a GM created program and if i somehow edit this number the E98a ECM will somehow magically just know to give me extra tables in specific parameters? I would think more likely it would just corrupt the file. Moreover i would believe to add tables to specific parameters i would need an engineer at HPtuners to create a custom OS that has extra tables for fueling and timing that "key" from the voltage change from a specific pin on the OBD2 port that the little dial connects to. lots of backend that i dont believe we have ability to edit...

From what i understand to change an OS within HPtuners one has to choose from the available list of OS's that HPtuners has unlocked/created and included within the latest beta of VCMeditor. for example stock/ 2 bar / 3 bar / high altitude / global model etc...

Also for reference to this conversation. i noted the 2016 OS's above. my trucks actual OS is 24000143 and has a different ECM (E98A vs the older E98)

Potential Tuner
    I think you need to do some more reading on how these things fundamentally work before trying to screw around with your truck....

I did not instruct you to change any numbers. If you actually read the EFILive documentation it states that when they convert the operating system to a DSP4 OS the identifier changes accordingly to show the conversion.

Tuner in Training
    I know i need to do research... why do you think i posted a question on this forum? I think you should refrain from replying if you dont know the answer...

I simply posted what i thought was how it worked and was hoping someone here more knowledgeable than me could enlighten me to if i was correct or not.

Tuner in Training
    quick update guys. unfornatually HPtuners support told me they wont get the parameters for my engine and ive had to move to EFIlive... Sad day i know but two months of waiting all for them to finally say we cant do it.