Thread: 2014 Chrysler 300 hellcat ECM and 8 speed swap advice

Senior Tuner

2014 Chrysler 300 hellcat ECM and 8 speed swap advice

So im neck deep into hellcat swapping my 2014 srt 300, and trying to understand what issues I am going to run into for getting all the controllers to play nice.

I have a 2017 HP tuner unlocked charger hellcat ECM, used, with a different VIN

Purchased a 2015+ BCM, new, from Mopar

Purchased a charger hellcat cluster, used

Purchased a UAQ radio, along with a 2015+ charger hellcat dash harness and media hub

Purchased a 8 speed shifter and charger inner plastic console (300 stuff snaps on), along with the park release cable.

Purchased a hellcat engine harness (also have the full chassis harness including the fuse box, but not seeing it as needed yet).

I have alphaOBD which I planned to use for setting the VIN in the ECM, but not sure on how everything is going to play together once its all powered up.

Any advice is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    So im neck deep into hellcat swapping my 2014 srt 300, and trying to understand what issues I am going to run into for getting all the controllers to play nice.

I have a 2017 HP tuner unlocked charger hellcat ECM, used, with a different VIN

Purchased a 2015+ BCM, new, from Mopar

Purchased a charger hellcat cluster, used

Purchased a UAQ radio, along with a 2015+ charger hellcat dash harness and media hub

Purchased a 8 speed shifter and charger inner plastic console (300 stuff snaps on), along with the park release cable.

Purchased a hellcat engine harness (also have the full chassis harness including the fuse box, but not seeing it as needed yet).

I have alphaOBD which I planned to use for setting the VIN in the ECM, but not sure on how everything is going to play together once its all powered up.

Any advice is appreciated.
    Follow this guy, he's done more than one.

https://www.youtube.com/c/KhalSRT/videos
    2018 Trackhawk PCM/TCM tune by Dusterhoff.
    Flex Fuel, MMX faux 95mm TB, GripTec 2.85, 10% ATI lower, FIC1200, ARH 1 7/8 w/cats, 180 T-stat

13 Chrysler 300S, RAM BGE 412 stroker, cam motion 232/246 619/619 118 +4, ATI 18% OD pulley
    Whipple Gen5 3.0, 2.50 upper pulley, Smooth Boost controller, FIC 1200 inj. Nick W 108mm TB, FORE dual return fuel system, E85, FTI 2800 stall(SRT83380), SHR WAR Viking trans and valve body, Getrag 3.73, 1 7/8 kooks w/hi-flow cats, 3" Magnaflow Cat-back 943rwhp

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by coanan View Post
    Follow this guy, he's done more than one.

https://www.youtube.com/c/KhalSRT/videos
    Watched every video from start to finish, all 6 on the redeye swap and the 30min on the 300 swap. Not a single thing mentioned about key fobs, RF hub, BCM, PCM. in the videos he just had them, so assume all bits and pieces came from a donor car or he had help flashing them correctly (redeye swap stuff all looked factory new, not from a donor car).

Let me know if anyone else has some advice on the way to get it all to play nicely.

Watched every video from start to finish, all 6 on the redeye swap and the 30min on the 300 swap. Not a single thing mentioned about key fobs, RF hub, BCM, PCM. in the videos he just had them, so assume all bits and pieces came from a donor car or he had help flashing them correctly (redeye swap stuff all looked factory new, not from a donor car).

Let me know if anyone else has some advice on the way to get it all to play nicely.
    Seems the easiest way to get all functions of the red key, elec. supercharger bypass, cluster, 8 speed trans working is to use all the wiring with all control boxes from a donor car. I believe all the newer stuff runs on a different CAN bus system. I'm sure he isn't doing all the extra work for fun.

Couple guys in my area have done two 3rd gen 300s Hellcat swaps, but I have only spoken to them on the road in passing. I need to locate them and pick their brain.
    2018 Trackhawk PCM/TCM tune by Dusterhoff.
    Flex Fuel, MMX faux 95mm TB, GripTec 2.85, 10% ATI lower, FIC1200, ARH 1 7/8 w/cats, 180 T-stat

13 Chrysler 300S, RAM BGE 412 stroker, cam motion 232/246 619/619 118 +4, ATI 18% OD pulley
    Whipple Gen5 3.0, 2.50 upper pulley, Smooth Boost controller, FIC 1200 inj. Nick W 108mm TB, FORE dual return fuel system, E85, FTI 2800 stall(SRT83380), SHR WAR Viking trans and valve body, Getrag 3.73, 1 7/8 kooks w/hi-flow cats, 3" Magnaflow Cat-back 943rwhp

when i swapped a 2013 3.6 Pentastar into my 1972 Dart Swinger, i didnt have issues with mismatched modules. You shouldn't either

The PCM GPEC2a is from a 2014 Manual trans Wrangler (Vin #1) bought off ebay
    BCM(aka TIPM) is from a Auto trans 2013 Wrangler ( VIN #2)
    SKIM from a 2008 JK (VIN#3,,originally talking to a NGC3 pcm)
    ABS,,,not sure but I think it may match the VIN of the BCM.

obviously to get the engine running, the VIN of the SKIM and PCM must match. So with my scan tool, I programmed the 2014 PCM with the VIN read off the 2008 Wrangler SKIM. It was easier to write the VIN to the PCM than fuss with changing the VIN on the SKIM. Seems to work either way.
    You should just be able to flash the Hellcat PCM with the VIN off your old bone 06 300 SKIM/SKIS

Alpha OBD will work on the BCM for the Radio, Engine, Trans, ect if its not setup for it already.
    Last edited by duster360; 02-18-2021 at 02:17 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by duster360 View Post
    when i swapped a 2013 3.6 Pentastar into my 1972 Dart Swinger, i didnt have issues with mismatched modules. You shouldn't either

The PCM GPEC2a is from a 2014 Manual trans Wrangler (Vin #1) bought off ebay
    BCM(aka TIPM) is from a Auto trans 2013 Wrangler ( VIN #2)
    SKIM from a 2008 JK (VIN#3,,originally talking to a NGC3 pcm)
    ABS,,,not sure but I think it may match the VIN of the BCM.

obviously to get the engine running, the VIN of the SKIM and PCM must match. So with my scan tool, I programmed the 2014 PCM with the VIN read off the 2008 Wrangler SKIM. It was easier to write the VIN to the PCM than fuss with changing the VIN on the SKIM. Seems to work either way.
    You should just be able to flash the Hellcat PCM with the VIN off your old bone 06 300 SKIM/SKIS

Alpha OBD will work on the BCM for the Radio, Engine, Trans, ect if its not setup for it already.
    Hey Duster - thats good to hear. Contrary to my old username, this is actually a 2014 Chrysler 300 SRT8 (GPEC2a). but hope youre right!

The big one i dont know is the SKIM and RF Hub. The handoff of the key fob is what triggers the red or black key for the hellcat. I would really like to have that functionality, I am afraid leaving my existing RF Hub and using existing key fob will lock me into black key (aka low HP mode). Thoughts on that?

Hey Duster - thats good to hear. Contrary to my old username, this is actually a 2014 Chrysler 300 SRT8 (GPEC2a). but hope youre right!

The big one i dont know is the SKIM and RF Hub. The handoff of the key fob is what triggers the red or black key for the hellcat. I would really like to have that functionality, I am afraid leaving my existing RF Hub and using existing key fob will lock me into black key (aka low HP mode). Thoughts on that?
    SKIM and RF are just a modules on the CAN bus. At least that what my experience found.

So as long as the BCM knows there's a RF hub and its setup for it(no different then programming it for a dealer installed remote start---thats Alpha-OBD's job) Then it should all work as normal.

I'm thinking of putting factory "Push Button Start" on my 3.6L Swinger and i really don't anticipate it being a huge deal.

So if the BCM is setup for that Red Key / Black key business, dont see it not working

20200314_083637.jpg
    Last edited by duster360; 02-18-2021 at 04:30 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Been at the detail side of the controllers for this for some time. The 300 BCM does not have the logic in the code base to translate the red key detected event on to the head unit or PCM so it's a challenge to get Black key/Red key working correctly in 300 Hellcat swaps with a factory 300 BCM.