Thread: E38 ECU issues controller x 36 unlocker exceeded numbers of attempt

Potential Tuner

E38 ECU issues controller x 36 unlocker exceeded numbers of attempt

I have a E38 ECU that I wrote a tune to a few weeks ago. I went out to add another tune to the ECU I attempted to read the data and I got an error controller x 36 unlocker exceeded numbers of attempt. My ECU is not locked why is this happening and what can I do to fix the issue VCM editor 4.8.7 E38 service # 12612384. I am very new to tuning what else do I need to supply to get help with this issue.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    sounds like you wrote a file from a newer E38 to an older E38 or vice versa, this will corrupt the NVRAM as outlined here http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28327
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner

Wanted to follow up for clarification please

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    sounds like you wrote a file from a newer E38 to an older E38 or vice versa, this will corrupt the NVRAM as outlined here http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28327
    Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. How do I avoid this from happening again? So are you saying the service tag on my old ECU needs to match or be compatible with the new ECU to work? The file you referring to from the newer to the older file is that the VCM editor version that was the problem or the ECM file?
    https://www.mrk-motorsports.com/stor...e-gm-12633238/

The file in the ECM. GM, between 2006 to around 2015, updated the E38 several times. Because of this, there are incompatibilities between different year tune files and ECM service numbers. Example: You wont be able to take a tune file from a 2015 camaro E38 and load it into a 2008 camaro E38 and vice versa. Doesn't matter what version of editor you use.

Potential Tuner
    I have 2 E38 ECM with the same Service# am I able to write from one to the other without bricking the other ECM I did notice on the ECM I am wanting to write to the OS number is different than the other is this an issue? When I look at the tune details under the controller tab the OS # shows as 12630501 this is the one I would like to write to. The other OS# is 12628990 that I am trying to write from. I just wanted to clarify to avoid bricking a good ECM and burning another 2 credits.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino 1Gen View Post
    I have 2 E38 ECM with the same Service# am I able to write from one to the other without bricking the other ECM I did notice on the ECM I am wanting to write to the OS number is different than the other is this an issue? When I look at the tune details under the controller tab the OS # shows as 12630501 this is the one I would like to write to. The other OS# is 12628990 that I am trying to write from. I just wanted to clarify to avoid bricking a good ECM and burning another 2 credits.

You have two separate threads, devoted to the same topic - this causes confusion.

You have been given the correct answer to your question several times now, by several different people. Continuing to ask the same question, will not change the answer.

Once again, with Gen 4 ECMs (your E38 examples) you CANNOT use tuning software to fully program the ECM. All initial programming MUST be done with GM tools and software. Once the correct base program has been loaded into the ECM using GM tools, then you can use tuning software to read out the calibration, and then make subsequent changes as are required by the specific project vehicle.

You CANNOT using tuning software to program a Silverado E38 with a Corvette calibration, nor to program a Corvette E38 with a Silverado calibration. You must use a Tech 2 / MDI / Mongoose or equivalent tool, in conjunction with GM software, to initially program the ECM.