Thread: Ford Performance Tune 2.3 Ecoboost Mustang

Potential Tuner

Ford Performance Tune 2.3 Ecoboost Mustang

Hi everyone, I am new here and new to tuning. I am about to load the Ford Performance Tune for the 2015-2017 Ecoboost into my 2015 Mustang. The thing is I have a catch can that is throwing the code P04DB. I know with HPTuner I can use it to uncheck the CEL and the light/code won't come on anymore and the computer won't bother with it. However will I be able to use HPTuner to uncheck the CEl/code once the Ford Performance Tune is loaded? Also with the HPTuner, once the Ford Performance Tune is loaded, is it possible for me to save a copy and use that as a baseline to start messing around with the tune? Or will the Ford Performance tune be locked and there won't be a way to access and tune/mod it? Thank you!

Ok two things, first off. Read the car, and save the stock tune in more than one place for future reference. Second when you write a tune you can save the changes two ways, one being. Save as is, you name it what ever you like. You'll still have the original tune the new one was write off of, if you just click on the box at the top marked save, you over write the tune with the changes you made, loosing the original. So first off SAVE YOUR STOCK TUNE !!! Far as the code goes, you can go back and change how it's set up at any time regardless of what tune you have loaded in the editor program, but it will only be set that way for that tune. So if you say write a tune, change how the code comes up, but then go back to a previous tune it will be the way it was set up for that tune. You can write as many tunes as you want and name them anything, I have a list of what I call base tunes, some are just trans adjustments, some are just the motor side of things. I can go in pull a tune, load it and make any changes I want, then rename the tune. New tune created, Wala.

Advanced Tuner
    HPTuners can't edit the Ford tune, I've tried, that's what I had on my car before I switched to HPT.

It's not that hard to get the same performance or better with a few tweaks in HPT.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Seishuku View Post
    HPTuners can't edit the Ford tune, I've tried, that's what I had on my car before I switched to HPT.

It's not that hard to get the same performance or better with a few tweaks in HPT.
    Seishuku can I still pull the Ford Performance Tune and then compare/copy over the difference into a stock tune and basically make my own "Ford Performance Tune" on HP Tuner? Also if I can't edit the Ford tune, can i still use HPT to toggle CEL codes? I want to turn off P04DB so that it doesn't throw a light anymore.

1 last question, Seishuku, is the Ford Performance Tune locked by them? I saw some guys on the 6gMustang forum messing with the Ford Performance Calibration. Maybe its different for the Ecoboost?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by weasel318 View Post
    Seishuku can I still pull the Ford Performance Tune and then compare/copy over the difference into a stock tune and basically make my own "Ford Performance Tune" on HP Tuner? Also if I can't edit the Ford tune, can i still use HPT to toggle CEL codes? I want to turn off P04DB so that it doesn't throw a light anymore.

1 last question, Seishuku, is the Ford Performance Tune locked by them? I saw some guys on the 6gMustang forum messing with the Ford Performance Calibration. Maybe its different for the Ecoboost?
    I know the Ford Performance control pack and I think the performance tune for the 5.0, HPT can edit, but the Ecoboost one, no.
    It will read the ECM, but won't open it, says checksum error and to contact HPT about the unsupported file, which I've done, they just said they won't be supporting that file.

But no, you won't be able to make *any* changes to the Ford tune at all with HPTuners, you'll have to restore the stock tune with the Ford tool.

Potential Tuner
    Seishuku, for the Ecoboost one were you playing with the 15-17 Mustang or was it an 18+. I read over at the ecoboostmustang forum that Ford changed the way the 18+ loads and works. Apparently a few people had problems reverting back to stock on once the Procal installed the 18+ FP tune on their 18+ Mustang.

So if Im not tuning it per se, but just using HPTuner to turn off the MIL/CEL p04db on my mustang, I know for sure I can do it with my stock mustang tune, but I won't be able to on the FP tune right? Like I wont even make it pass the point of connecting the HPTuner/laptop to my 2015 mustang coomputer once the FP tune is on?

Advanced Tuner
    same here need stock 2.3 pp1 tune

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, 2015 Mustang.
    It's possible the 18s are different, I know they changed core strategies... But I still kind of doubt HPT will open it.

But if HPT won't open the cal read, you won't be able to change anything, disabling DTCs needs just as much support as any other adjustments.

Potential Tuner
    What year is your Ecoboost Mustang Paul? Mines a 2015 (early build 2014). Judging from the pp1 im guessing you have a 18+?

Seishuku, does anyone know what Ford Performance did for their Tune? If anything I would like to copy it and then turn off p04db since its bothering me that the CEL comes on after 5-20 miles of driving.

I know I can tune it with the HPT if I get it but knowing I can't really read the calibration of the FP makes me on the fence about it since I spent money on the Ford Performance Tune already and I know for sure its a safe tune since there hasn't been any reports of it blowing up the motor.

My plan was

1. Get HPT
    2. Download stock tune off PCM
    3. Upload FP tune
    4. Use HPT to shut off CEL p04db
    5. Maybe tweak the FP Tune with HPT.

But i guess thats not possible

Advanced Tuner
    I was in the same boat as you, spent $500 on the Ford tune when I first got the car, was happy with it (it's actually how the car *should* have came from the factory), but then I started to do other mods... Mainly catback exhaust, it was throwing an overboost code and was reducing performance back to nearly stock.

I was also hoping to read the Ford tune and make adjustments, so I could run a higher flowing exhaust, but it just didn't work out.

I know it sucks having to basically eat the cost on the Ford tune, but it just can't properly support additional mods other than the "CAI" that comes with it, but even that thing is junk. I even went back to the stock airbox too, I get lower IATs with that.

I should have done HPT from the beginning and just tuned it my self, but I got suckered into with the whole "it's a safe factory tune" thing too...
    The reality is, if you leave the important safeties in place and don't go completely nuts, it's nearly impossible to blow it up, the ECM almost literally won't let you.

Potential Tuner
    Oh Im not using the gt350 airbox, its still in the box. Using factory airbox with a K&N + Airaid. The Airaid does help with the throttle response and it idles smoother with it from my butt dyno LOL. Yea, Reason I want HPT is mainly to take off thee CEL thats been bothering me since I have a clean side catch can. Apparently all Ecoboost engines do not like clean side catch cans that do not have an additional vacuum source to it.