Thread: 2017 GMC 6.2l Speed Shop did DOD delete, cam install and tune Now stalling and dying

Tuner in Training

2017 GMC 6.2l Speed Shop did DOD delete, cam install and tune Now stalling and dying

I had my engine fail at 108k from a stuck lifter on #7. The infamous DOD system failed. So, I decided to bring it to a speed shop and get the Texas Speed DOD delete kit and camshaft (TSP 5.3L L83TR-2). Verified by Texas Speed this is good mild cam for a 6.2l truck even though its a 5.3 cam.

I got my truck back after the DOD delete and and camshaft and have had nothing but trouble. First thing that happened was that I had intermittent hot start issues mostly after doing a couple good WOTs as well as a stall on an off ramp after doing some WOT's as well. Waiting a bit and not cranking it for about 5 min or so it would not start back up. If you kept cranking it seems like things would get worse it would stumble and shut right off. Only happened a few times so I wasn't overly concerned.

Second thing that happened about 1800k miles (5 weeks) after the install was a rocker arm failure. The shop fixed that on my dime by doing a trunnion upgrade. Nice to know I have a bunch of needle bearings in my engine. I also asked them to fix the issue with the stalling while it was there. Not only was the stalling issue not fixed it was worse. Now if it stalls and I get it started back up it keeps wanting to stall and I have to drop it in neutral at light and rev the engine.

So long story short the Speed Shop gave me my truck back a couple of days ago after having it for 3 weeks just for the hot start issue and I tried to start it yesterday morning and I couldn't even get it out of my driveway. Started it 1 time ran ok. Shut if off to get my keys out of the ignition for a min then tried to start again. No go. Got it to crank over after a few min and put it in reverse and stalled again.

The shop basically told me that they have 0 idea what it is because the engine is not throwing codes at all and they don't want to "throw parts at it". That my best bet would be to bring it to a dealer or diagnose it myself. "They are not really in the business of repairing vehicles." He said if he was going to replace anything he would start with the ECM. This was directly from the person who tuned the truck.

6k later and my truck was more reliable with the #7 lifter stuck. I am besides myself here. This is a nightmare. I own HPtuners myself ECU and TCM are both unlocked. If anyone has any advice or some place to start. I am highly appreciative.

Throw up the tunes, stock and modified. Post up a log of start up, idle for a couple minutes and then drive for 15 or so minutes with a couple minutes of idle at the end. If you don't have a wideband sensor, get one and have installed before the cat, without one you cant tune shit.

What other mods have you done? Be as specific as possible.

*edited to add wideband stuff*
    2017 Crew Short 4x4 - 575hp/581trq at the tire
    2017 C7 GS 3LT - All stock for now, waiting impatiently for shop time to install parts

Tuner in Training
    - Compare tunes pre- and post- cam installation; what changed?

- All sensor plugs on the front case properly seated and tight?

- MAF plug properly seated and tight?

- Coolant temp sensor properly seated and tight?

- Timing marks lined up correctly on cam & crank? (if I were a betting man...)

When I did the cam on my 5.3L Suburban I must've had the cam sprocket on and off a dozen times before I confirmed both marks were dead-nuts on. Very easy to be a tooth or two off.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    besides the mechanical installation to be correct, these new torque based cars are a completely different style of tuning. if the shop never worked on the new DI platform, it will make them spin.

as mentioned, post your tunes and we can review.
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Advanced Tuner
    I have the same cam and same engine and even had the same lifter fail. But post up your tune.

Crazy thing is I had the same problems after installing the cam. I don't have the computer with HP tuners infront of me. But I'll look at what I change for the hot start issue. Mine would stall if I drove it around then cut it off to run inside somewhere to pick something up. When I came back out it would fire then immeditly cut off. It was a simple fix. I believe it was the start up RPM in the warmer section was to low but don't quote me on that yet.

The stalling while in drive was because my base set point RPM and in gear RPM was to low. Mine likes he base set point around 730 rpms. And in gear 800rpms

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    besides the mechanical installation to be correct, these new torque based cars are a completely different style of tuning. if the shop never worked on the new DI platform, it will make them spin.

as mentioned, post your tunes and we can review.

Posted tune in this thread. https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-6-2l-Cam-Tune

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by MakesBadDecisions View Post
    Throw up the tunes, stock and modified. Post up a log of start up, idle for a couple minutes and then drive for 15 or so minutes with a couple minutes of idle at the end. If you don't have a wideband sensor, get one and have installed before the cat, without one you cant tune shit.

What other mods have you done? Be as specific as possible.

*edited to add wideband stuff*
    Just placed an order for a wideband today. I will be pulling y pipe and welding a bung in this week. Untill then I would like to get this thing drivable with a partial throttle MAF tune. No more stalling after upping idle. Cleared out previous tuners air flow and spark tables and put them back to stock.

posted my tune up here https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-6-2l-Cam-Tune

Potential Tuner
    So, reading through this, is it safe to say that the TSP parts are not good? I am on the market for a kit also, dod delete, mild cam, and everyhing needed to stop that dealer lifter fail crap which I am currently suffering. 2017 Sierra Denali 5.3 The TSP parts are cheaper than the GPI kits. Also, how can I tune delete, if at all possible, the o2's so I don't get a cell light? I'm on Facebook which is esier to communicate, [email protected] Angel Hernandez. Thank you in advance for any help.

Potential Tuner
    its all in the tune