Thread: P163F Transmission Code

Tuner in Training

P163F Transmission Code

Not sure where to post this, so I'm posting in multiple. After a long day of coding on laptop, I unplugged external monitor and other peripherals from the laptop and went to the car to upload a tune. After it uploaded, I noticed the laptop was glitching. I was barely able to reboot it. Cranked the engine and I have P163F code and trans won't shift passed 3rd.

We need a way to alter trans ID code. This issue is too common. HPTuners shouldn't allow corrupt communication between laptop and PCM. Dealership says "the car has/had an aftermarket tuner that has caused a bunch of communication codes across multiple modules ... tech says there's over a page of communication codes." Not sure how truthful that statement is, but dealership won't touch it and it has 3k miles (2020 GT).

Tuner in Training
    Printout from dealership regarding the communication codes

dealer printout 152322016_452805826074682_5834654625045664346_n.jpg

That is a bunch of bollocks. 100 times I uploaded a corrupted tune but later re-uploaded and problem solved.
    Clear DTC along the network - those are all old codes. Get yourself a FJDS or a ForScan, use it with J2534 device to clear the codes.

Clear KAM and trans adaptive's, relearn vehicle or do a LIN - this is easy to fix.

Tuner in Training
    This isn't a corrupt tune, it's corrupt communication where for example the bootloader instructions go awry and PCM gets written to areas it shouldn't. What happened in my situation most likely is laptop was having IRQ malfunctions which sent data to MPVI2 in uneven and corrupt packets. MPVI2 should detect this and cancel writing. This problem is becoming more common because now most mustangs are auto. My laptop is brand new, it just needed a reboot prior to connecting to vehicle. The area that's getting corrupted on PCM is always trans ID, so this can be a quick fix for HP.

Those codes look like old DTC codes. I didn't know the PCM keeps a record of them. And the tech went solely on ignition count to tell if a tuner had been used. Car is on its way to another dealership. I turned ignition on and off a bunch of times to try to get that count up. Don't know if it's counting power on cycles or engine starts. If new dealership refuses, I'll have to buy forscan. Honestly though, this type of issue makes me want to change hobbies.

Tested today with 10r80 and works like a charm. Verified that this is a part of AS-BUILD therefore HPT has nothing to do with it:

image.png

Tuner in Training
    so you don't think HPT's "Write Entire" could include the trans ID?

Nope but error during write might have wiped out another memory location that contains AS-Build data.

Sometimes a strategy change - which most tuners do - might do that as well.

Tuner in Training
    why can't it include the trans ID?

because it's not part of the tune...ask ford, not HPT

Tuner in Training
    Ford just reflashed the PCM to fix the issue. Why can't HPT do the same? It's a limitation in hardware? Is there another port other than OBD2 that must be used?

Why do you not want me to ask HPT?

You seems to have "why" for everything like a child. I gave you the solution - take my advice and fix your stuff.

I have hundreds of thousands invested in tools, there is no tool that can do all, never was never will - you have to face it.

HPT is solely design to work with your power-train tune, As-Built data is a part of CAN network which is not the part of what HPT does.

No go and tune your vehicle with IDS...oh wait, you can't...must be a hardware limitation.

Tuner in Training
    then how did it corrupt as-built?

Advanced Tuner
    I've noticed flashing my car if the battery voltage drops below a certain amount I get communication errors. I then need to use ForScan to reset the affected modules. Now I never flash without a battery charger hooked up.

Quote Originally Posted by iketh View Post
    then how did it corrupt as-built?
    Because as-build is indeed a part of the entire eprom, just not the part HPT is interfering with.

If your eprom flash went south it will corrupt entire data including as-build.

Quote Originally Posted by K44 View Post
    I've noticed flashing my car if the battery voltage drops below a certain amount I get communication errors. I then need to use ForScan to reset the affected modules. Now I never flash without a battery charger hooked up.
    From my observations VCM scanner keeps the DTC's longer compared to for example for-scan...not sure why.
    Sometimes we got codes stored in VCM for years while Forscan or UCDS reports nothing.