Thread: Getting the Q50 RS off the ground for tuning

Tuner in Training

Getting the Q50 RS off the ground for tuning

So.. Finally got a read on Wednesday night.

It is in other posts through out the forum, but I'll do a reminder here. In order to read:

1. Make sure you are on the latest beta, if not update.
    2. Make sure your doors are closed and NOTHING is on (no AC, Lights (off, not AUTO), radio, etc). The tool and car are finicky that way. Otherwise, you are likely to get an initialization warning.
    3. Your fan will run. If you have a decent battery, it should not be an issue, as the read time is about 3.5 min. I had no issues with the fan running once the read started.
    4. Lights on the dash will go crazy. It's ok, just breathe.
    5. Once it is done, for good measure turn off your car, completely, before trying to restart.
    6. You may get a check engine light. If you have Intouch Services, you will be getting notifications to take your car in. The code I received, was a disconnect between the ECU and PCM, I believe. Clear the code, and go about your business.

Now, I took her out for her first log today, base log for the base read.

Things that are not logging:

Speed
    Boost (in bar or psi) commanded, target, nor actual
    Torque of any kind
    Knock
    retard
    Misfire count

These are off the top of my head. Speed is a supported channel, but it's not reading.. Could be an SAE vs non-SAE thing, got to look. But, the others don't exist. My tuner asked what boost am I seeing, I said, "ummmm, no idea. Not able to log, and no gauge in the car."

Am I missing something?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 95nBlown View Post
    So.. Finally got a read on Wednesday night.

It is in other posts through out the forum, but I'll do a reminder here. In order to read:

1. Make sure you are on the latest beta, if not update.
    2. Make sure your doors are closed and NOTHING is on (no AC, Lights (off, not AUTO), radio, etc). The tool and car are finicky that way. Otherwise, you are likely to get an initialization warning.
    3. Your fan will run. If you have a decent battery, it should not be an issue, as the read time is about 3.5 min. I had no issues with the fan running once the read started.
    4. Lights on the dash will go crazy. It's ok, just breathe.
    5. Once it is done, for good measure turn off your car, completely, before trying to restart.
    6. You may get a check engine light. If you have Intouch Services, you will be getting notifications to take your car in. The code I received, was a disconnect between the ECU and PCM, I believe. Clear the code, and go about your business.

Now, I took her out for her first log today, base log for the base read.

Speed
    Torque of any kind
    Knock
    retard
    Misfire count

These are off the top of my head. Speed is a supported channel, but it's not reading.. Could be an SAE vs non-SAE thing, got to look. But, the others don't exist. My tuner asked what boost am I seeing, I said, "ummmm, no idea. Not able to log, and no gauge in the car."

Am I missing something?
    Inbox me and I will send you my config files. Mine read a lot of stuff...
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Speed
    Torque of any kind
    Knock
    retard
    Misfire count

Am I missing something?
    What's your OS ID? Might just be a case of missing from our database. If the OS isn't located in our database the software doesn't know what controller type it is so it won't log anything but SAE. Also some of your mentioned PIDs aren't available until after you apply the extended datastream OS patch

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by evan.s@hptuners View Post
    What's your OS ID? Might just be a case of missing from our database. If the OS isn't located in our database the software doesn't know what controller type it is so it won't log anything but SAE. Also some of your mentioned PIDs aren't available until after you apply the extended datastream OS patch
    Thanks for responding, Evan:

HW: SH_7253_331, ECM, Nissan/Infiniti

Can I apply the patches without any other calibration? In other words, add the Extended Datastream OS Patch and the Speed Density OS Patch, one at a time, save after each, then flash that newly saved HTP file to the car.

Thanks for responding, Evan:

HW: SH_7253_331, ECM, Nissan/Infiniti

Can I apply the patches without any other calibration? In other words, add the Extended Datastream OS Patch and the Speed Density OS Patch, one at a time, save after each, then flash that newly saved HTP file to the car.
    Well that wasn't the issue, it's definitely in the latest beta. What version are you running? Have you tried repolling for supported parameters?

As for the patches, yes you can apply one at a time.