Thread: Is it misfiring or a function of the cam/tune

Tuner in Training

Is it misfiring or a function of the cam/tune

I am wondering if my truck is actually misfiring or if it truly the tuning that is needed to smooth it out. I do believe that before today it truly was misfiring, but after new injectors and harnesses on bank 1 it feels a lot better. But it still shows misfire on the scanner. I read that it could just be the lope on the cam causing it count a misfire that isn't there?
    I have it idling ok and am about to start the MAF tuning. Having driven it around a little bit it does seem smooth at certain RPM ranges and not near as smooth at others. I'm attaching a log file as a reference.
    Also, I've read to start MAF and others say start VE. I don't have a wideband yet but need to get started on this thing. Which one would be most beneficial to tune first with narrowband only at this point?

You likely need to disable the misfire detection because it won't work with an aftermarket camshaft at idle.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Got it, I will be disabling that here in a bit then.
    As far as which thing to start with on the tuning, since I haven't made a choice on wideband yet, I plan on tuning with narrowband to get a more "driveable" base tune. Which one SHOULD I start with? Or does it really matter? I've read and seen both schools of thought but I'm leaning towards tuning VE first using both LTFT and STFT. Even right now, I've noticed in the short driving I've done that it stumbles a little at certain RPMs but other RPM ranges it is pretty smooth. All this is under 3200 RPMs. I'm thinking tuning the VE will help smooth all of this RPM range out.
    I need to fix my histogram setup, for some reason some of them didn't log anything even though I'm fairly sure I have the correct channels logging. I'll get a good histogram up today or tomorrow.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, so here is where I am at with this. It idles fine. Drives at part throttle fine. Under load and certain RPMs, mainly 1700-2200, it bucks. I don't know if it is misfire or tuning. The more I drive and adjust the VE tables it seems to get better. Also, I don't think I had NEAR enough timing in there above idle. It has been increased overall about 7 degrees above factory and it might could use more? I am attaching my last log and tune file.
    The next tune file has ZERO TQM. I did notice that it seemed to start bucking right before a shift, indicating to me that TQM was retarding the timing to the point of a miss?
    Other than that, I am at a loss at to the random misfire. I am going to pull the plugs and check the ignition wires etc to make sure it is all good. I'm thinking it is still in tuning? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    99 Silverado VE Tune Cal 1.2.7.hpt
    022221 Tune 1.3 drive log.hpl

I'd get a wideband instead of trying to use fuel trims to tune the MAF and both VE tables. I'm not exactly sure which way you are trying to correct the fueling because the tune has only the STFT enabled and closed loop is turned off, so it won't use LTFT. Check for vacuum leaks and exhaust leaks too. Bank one is rich and bank 2 is always leaner. This can be seen on the LTFT and the injector pulse width for both banks, bank 2 is always higher.

In your other thread you said you are running stock injectors still, you'll run out of fuel probably around 4,500-5,000rpm at full throttle. You need to run 89 octane or 91+ octane too because of the increased compression and camshaft upgrade. It's going to show knock retard like crazy on 87 octane.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    My biggest concern is the chugging and bucking under load at certain RPMs. I obviously didn?t set up the tune correctly for closed loop LTFT tuning so I?ll have to revisit that. Is there anything in the log that would indicate that it is misfire or is it just refining the tune?

Tuner in Training
    I am attempting to use LTFT % to tune the VE. I have gotten it down from way rich to where it is now. I realize that I disabled closed loop with the temp setting but in scanner I manually commanded closed loop.
    I did notice in my hist that a majority of the time KR pulled timing the STFT showed to be lean. That coincided with the stuttering and bucking. Since I?m below 10% in a lot of the areas should I start using the STFT to fine tune the VE?

Disable misfires, if worried that’s it’s missing can enable them and see which cylinder is missing quite a bit 40+ counts typically (can setup with decent overlap will have misfire on all cylinders) but look for cylinder/s that have very high counts!

I use temp gun on each header tube as well to tell me what’s going on as well

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C