Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Labotomy

Yes for the trans go to Trans DTC section same thing. The thottle body if key on and unplugged will give you the red lighting bolt above the check engine light. Didn't have the plug all the way on it and it activated that light. Not sure if turning off all throttle body code will kill shut it off havent tried.

Also esp/traction control can be deactivated under ENGINE/ GENERAL/ DISPLACEMENT. Changing the displacement to any number other then stock will turn off ESP/TC. The traction control light will always be on. After my swap I was getting weird braking issues even with the traction control turned off on the dash this fixed it.
    Last edited by Dozer; 03-06-2021 at 05:07 PM.

I noticed the traction control light on. May be able to turn that off in the BCM with Autoenginuity. I'll play with that tomorrow.

So today I almost have a running "non engine". I have oil pressure from the shop air, water temp from a heat gun and crank sensor from a drill. I show NO engine DTC's and the dash shows all the gauges reading normal except the tach. When I spin the crank tone wheel I hear a relay click in the power distribution box and the flap on the throttle body closes so I know its seeing the crank signal. I have the correct 58 tooth tone wheel spacing but its not the actual 5.7 one. I wonder if it also used the trans input shaft sensor to compare engine RPM? I had all these same sensors (no others) hooked up on the engine before pulling it and it was running and showing a tach signal then. The only difference is that I don't have the trans spinning.
    I know this is way outside the normal "tuning" box and no one really cares but I want to document as much as I can for the next guy that may be as crazy as I am and looking for this info. I will conclude this thread one way or another and not leave it open ended like so many people do.
    Non engine1.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    I wish more people had your thinking! So many posts with no fix/end status. Great thread, and glad people could help you.
    Also, great job on the detailed posts!

Thanks, I'm always the guy on forums asking the weird and hard questions.
    I like to build different stuff and its usually very hard to find info but I try to document my builds online so it helps others.

I see as usual, I have stumped the pros.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EVguy1 View Post
    the dash shows all the gauges reading normal except the tach. When I spin the crank tone wheel I hear a relay click in the power distribution box and the flap on the throttle body closes so I know its seeing the crank signal. I have the correct 58 tooth tone wheel spacing but its not the actual 5.7 one.
    You have the crank signal but what are you doing for the cam? It will most likely need that the synchronize everything up.

Thank you for your input!
    I did have the Hemi running with NO cam sensor before I pulled it a few weeks ago. I know in past swaps I have had to replicate a cam signal to get the tach to work but after having the Hemi running with no cam sensor connected and cam DTC's turned off in the tune I thought I was home free. ;<( I have NO engine DTC's showing on a scan.

Potential Tuner
    Hey guys i think my question may apply in this current thread, forgive me for bumping into yours EVguy1 but i believe this question would apply for you as well i notice a few things in the dodge editor and have some questions hjuhnn.png

I have no problem with it but I don't know why you would get more response here over the thread that you already started.
    I have been doing engine swaps for the last 40 years and find most of the info you need is stuff that you are going to have to figure out on your own.
    Most people are used to working on complete vehicles of the same platform, as soon as you mix and match you disturb the force and are headed to where no man has gone before.
    Do all of us a big favor and when you figure it out come back and put a conclusion on your thread for the next guy looking for the same info.

Today I have a working tach, not really sure why. I have not touched the truck for the last week and today I plugged the cam sensor in but have no tone wheel so its just hanging off the harness and the tach works. Rev the drill that's running the crank sensor and the tach follows. I think at this point I'll wait till I have the Cummins running before attempting anything more but very encouraging that the tach works and no engine codes...with only a drill in the engine compartment.
    Update: unplugged the cam sensor and tach still works.

So back at this now that I have a running Cummins in the truck. No tack which also means no alternator and not able to shift out of Park. Oil pressure voltmeter and coolant temp work on the dash. The truck has 27 reporting system modules and they are all happy with no DTC's
    When I rotate the engine by hand the crank sensor must be working as the throttle body slaps and a relay clicks in the power center, if I unplug the crank sensor this does not happen.
    I keep thinking cam sensor but I DID have the Hemi running with no cam sensor plugged in and had a working tach.
    https://youtu.be/F-dsPJohDmQ

Tried a lot of stuff today but still nothing. Its not pulling in the ASD relay which I assume is part of the bigger picture. I can jumper the ASD relay but still no tach, alt, etc. I have loaded a number of modifications to my tune that had the tach working with just a drill running the crank sensor but still nothing. I have to be missing a basic part of this someplace. I have unchecked all the PID's that show up on a scan and have no active ones left. Sort of at the end of my rope. I wish I was close to anyone that knew this stuff and pay to have it sorted out.