Thread: 16 gt 5.0 e85

Tuner

16 gt 5.0 e85

So i have been trying to look this up but i cant find anything. What tables and options in the file would i have to touch to tune for e85 besides turning on flex fuel? Jus a list.

Tuner
    You want flex fuel or dedicated e85 tune. For flex fuel the short cut is to compare your tune to the F150 tune and copy into yours. For a dedicated e85 tune, your just have to change the efr ratio and then setup how you want it

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Plimmer View Post
    You want flex fuel or dedicated e85 tune. For flex fuel the short cut is to compare your tune to the F150 tune and copy into yours. For a dedicated e85 tune, your just have to change the efr ratio and then setup how you want it
    Wanted to go straight e85 or do a 75-25 or 50-50 mix on 93/e-85 tune but i see tables for it so ive been trying to figure that out and do i for sure have to change the injectors?

Tuner
    Since you have HPTuners, the easiest way is to leave flex fuel “Off” and adjust the global AFR to the fuel mix you are using. Then the tune is like a normal tune, but you use the timing and lambda you are after.

The stock injectors are OK for NA e85. You can log injector duty cycle in scanner to confirm.

Tuner
    Since you have HPTuners, the easiest way is to leave flex fuel ?Off? and adjust the global AFR to the fuel mix you are using. Then the tune is like a normal tune, but you use the timing and lambda you are after.

The stock injectors are OK for NA e85. You can log injector duty cycle in scanner to confirm.
    i appreciate that i will check in tomar and show what i have so far.

Tuner
    Last question with timing being advanced would i have to move cam timing up alil on exhaust or intake or should that just be left alone? Forgive me if that sounds like a stupid question

Tuner
    Leave cam timing alone for e85.

Tuner
    Leave cam timing alone for e85.
    Thank you quarter tank left till i finally do e85

Advanced Tuner
    The way I do a straight E85 tune is to tune the MAF first until less than 3% error. Then I drain what's left of gas from tank, then test the E85 and get the exact stoich number. Plug that into your tune and your trims should be dead on. Adjust your spark tables to your liking and you are done. Keep in mind that E85 blends change where you are, during the year, so you should test each tank and adjust your stoich accordingly.
    Last edited by txcharlie; 03-09-2021 at 12:10 PM.

In my area the E85 is around 70% every time I have tested it, but there is a sign that says it can be as low as 50%. I have tried using flex on my 2016 GT but sometimes when it tries to learn it will go WAY lean like 17AFR when 10.7AFR is stoich for my fuel. I completely gave up on flex and use a fixed AFR and spark mods for my E85 tune. In my opinion, you should only use a flex tune if you have a sensor to detect alcohol %

The way I go about it is by having a flex fuel sensor and put the gauge in the glove box and verify % every fill up. Using the NGauge I have created multiple tunes from e10-e80 and have AFR and spark as appropriate in those tunes.

Advanced Tuner
    I have a solid flex tune I’ve used for quite a while it works good and is pretty agressive

Advanced Tuner
    "" I have tried using flex on my 2016 GT but sometimes when it tries to learn it will go WAY lean like 17AFR when 10.7AFR is stoich for my fuel.""

That only happens when you do a KAM reset or flash a tune with E85 in the tank. Let it idle for a few minuets till it starts lowering the A/F, then drive easy, it will learn in about 2 miles.

Tuner
    hmm working on everything didnt test the % as of yet didnt really think about that honestly will do that tomorrow.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by K44 View Post
    "" I have tried using flex on my 2016 GT but sometimes when it tries to learn it will go WAY lean like 17AFR when 10.7AFR is stoich for my fuel.""

That only happens when you do a KAM reset or flash a tune with E85 in the tank. Let it idle for a few minuets till it starts lowering the A/F, then drive easy, it will learn in about 2 miles.
    If you go to the flex fuel tab in the area where the enable/ disable switch is theres a drop down that says use nvram or what ever, its the drop down, if you change that to "use inital" it shouldnt AFR hunt like that it will just use the base stoich point of 14.08 then start learning from there.
    ?Our greatest success comes from failure? -Confucius