Thread: Engine Dies after drive

Tuner in Training

Engine Dies after drive

Hi, I just finished my engine build and starting to learn this tuning thing, i think i have got things somewhat dialed in i managed to get the cam settled, At first it would lope really bad after setting the over & under timing & timing then adjusting Airflow final minimum i got the idle ok, then did maf tune then to finish the maf using ITFT, But threw all this i found wile driving the car i can feel a slight surging at 1000 to 1400 rpm i manage to get rid of that upping the air flow final min 10% but the stranger thing is when i get home after the drive and get out to open garage it idles fine then i get back in & put it in reverse and it try's to die i actually have to work the peddle to get into garage and even after its in and back into park it still struggles to run & dies but no issues at any lights during the drive the only thing i can see with the log is the timing advances to 24 to 28 before it dies if you look at the log time stamp 6:26:14.364 to 6:28:28.308 is were the timing acts up & dies then after that the timing returns to normal and idles fine i don't know what's causing the timing to advance like that?? also one other question, I note that at fist of log the baro is 12.3 that is correct for my area but half way threw the log till end of log its at 16.0 what's up with that???

2005 Gto Torid Red
    408 Stroker 10.3 Cr
    Howard Cam
    0.625 Int & Exh 284 Int 301.6 Exh 118 Sep
    823 Squire port heads built but not ported
    Snakeaters 80-lb injectors
    Magnuson 2.3 Od cog pulleys 3.0 Front
    Innovative West 10% Od 8-rib conversion
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    There are a few things that are contributing to the idling issue.

I've used quite a few sets of the Snake Eater injectors. They are ok, but the characterization data doesn't compare to ID or FIC injectors.

The idle timing tables are a bit too low. They should work fine if you just match the high octane timing table values.

The Minimum Airflow table is way too low. It's the main contributor to your idling issue.