Thread: Initial 5.3 tune woh's (start-up, idle, tip-in)

Initial 5.3 tune woh's (start-up, idle, tip-in)

Long story short, I recently picked up a project that was partially tuned so I may have a crockpot full of disaster beans here.

5.3, mild btr cam (unknown specs), Bosch 1000cc injectors (I believe they are the TSP ones), single turbo (low boost deal 6-7psi), factory fuel, SD.

I've read/watched quite a bit and have tried to iron this out myself over the past few weeks through Rinkrat idle guides/GRG youtube videos/LS sites but I seem to be going in circles. I'm wondering if the base tune has been jacked up from before I acquired this so I'm probably just compounding the issue with changes. Tune/log attached, I've made general edits based on the Rinkrat guide but have tweaked some since just trying different things. Otherwise it's fairly untouched by myself. (I'm messing with the throttle a fair amount in the log trying to show the issues)

Cold starting is a huge issue, fires every time then dies after a second or with any TPS %, it'll idle once it's warmed up a bit, I've actually got it to idle pretty happy around 800-850 and sound nice and clean, but any sort of tip in throttle it'll instantly die, hunt around for idle, or hesitate really bad like there is a dead spot from 1%-10% tps, after that it seems to clear up and will let you feather it down a bit. One big thing I've noticed is it seems to be extremely voltage sensitive so I'm really questioning the injector offset data. Lights, fans affect startup/idle. I have a request in with TSP to see if they have data, I haven't had luck locating anything other than some are saying the Bosch 1000's are similar to the ID1000's which I do have data for.

Anyway, just hoping I can have someone do a quick look at the basics and see if there is something wildly off, I'm not ruling anything out at this point.

I appreciate any help!
    Attached Files Attached Files

At key on, engine off, your MAP sensor shows 93 kpa. What is your local altitude? Make sure your map sensor data is correct in the tune under airflow. Looks strange to me. Your idle timing is 22 degrees---so is your idle areas in High octane and low octane spark. Make the 22 degrees in Hi and Lo about 6 to 8 degrees higher than idle so adaptive spark can work. VE table needs lots of work.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Roughly 1300' @ 30.19 inHG baro right now. I'll double check the map sensor p/n and make sure.

I'll give that a try, I just made them identical per the Rinkrat suggestions. I did at least half the under/overspeed timing because it was swinging all over the place. It should be working currently at 0% TPS right? Is there an adjustment that needs made there for when it's enabled?

MAP sensor is a Holley #554-107 3-bar. I found two pair of data. One 329.41/-6.35 and another 315.5/1.1. I updated my tune to the 315.5/1.1 just to see, didn't make much difference but the hesitation seemed slightly better.

I might steal the ID1000's from my fox body and load their data and see what happens. Every time the voltage drops/fluctuates things get funky and seems like it would explain the starting issues as well.

Swapped injectors/data and helped some all around, I think the previous owner had some goofed data. Still have a cold and hot starting issue and hunting around so I'm questioning the RAF values and initial startup airflow/fuel tables.

With no MAF sensor and in speed density how do you correct that table or is it even referenced in speed density? I do have factory 03 SS Silverado data I've been referencing so I could try those RAF values, I just haven't found much explaining all of that in speed density mode.

Wanted to close this out in case this happens to help someone else. After a ton of logs and testing things out it ended up being a weak throttle body. Logged tps vs acc, all of the airflows/demands and down low in the % it was acting funky, like intermittently unresponsive. Replaced it and all of a sudden follower, idle functions, hot starting etc etc came to life.

After about 2.5 weeks of research and questioning my tuning sanity I can finally move on to the base tune.

I also acquired a bone stock 03 silverado SS 6.0 tune file so if anyone needs a solid factory baseline let me know.