Thread: 2008 Sierra 2500HD Timing Retard Issue, Log File

Potential Tuner

2008 Sierra 2500HD Timing Retard Issue, Log File

My 2008 Sierra started feeling very sluggish yesterday, before i could even get a chance to try and diagnose it the truck died. Throwing a cranksensor code, I went ahead and changed it and relearned the new sensor with my hptuners. It starts and runs now but it still has no power due to a dramatic timing retard. Part throttle is awful, its pulling so much timing the truck can barely move. I swapped out all the coil packs with a know working set, plug wires, also replaced both knock sensors with no change. If someone could please look at my log and see if maybe there is something I am over looking, I would greatly appreciate it! Only codes are b1s2 o2 sensor as i took it out to install my wideband. After this issue arroused I went to a different gas station and topped the truck off with 93octane, same result.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Why are you trying to run closed loop with one of the O2 sensors removed??? The wideband has to be either used alone in open loop only for tuning, or alongside the factory sensors if used just for monitoring.

That major, major issue aside, if the timing issues started after the new crank sensor, I think I might be suspecting the new crank sensor. Call me crazy.

edit: OK, it's the post-cat sensor that's removed. You still need to disable those sensor codes and other stuff like catalyst monitoring and overtemp protection and etc., even if it's just temporary. The catalyst monitoring stuff affects fueling.

Senior Tuner
    It's removing a lot of timing for sure...Even under light loads.

It certainly appears to be false knock. Possibly a faulty knock sensor or clogged cats.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Why are you trying to run closed loop with one of the O2 sensors removed??? The wideband has to be either used alone in open loop only for tuning, or alongside the factory sensors if used just for monitoring.

That major, major issue aside, if the timing issues started after the new crank sensor, I think I might be suspecting the new crank sensor. Call me crazy.

edit: OK, it's the post-cat sensor that's removed. You still need to disable those sensor codes and other stuff like catalyst monitoring and overtemp protection and etc., even if it's just temporary. The catalyst monitoring stuff affects fueling.
    The truck feeling sluggish prior to the crank sensor code I believe was the "Knock" issue I just didn't have my laptop to log the truck prior to it dying. I have not flashed the truck yet but I will address all that tomorrow and see if I make any progress

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    It's removing a lot of timing for sure...Even under light loads.

It certainly appears to be false knock. Possibly a faulty knock sensor or clogged cats.
    it is, its barely drive-able. I replaced both knock sensors, and "Temporarily" removed the cats prior to the posted log. Neither of which made any difference. May switch out the cam sensor, if that doesnt do anything i think i need to start chasing wiring. Mechanically the truck has been solid and it fires up and idles perfectly

Cam sensor is only used to distinguish #1 from #6, it's not used at all for ignition timing.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Cam sensor is only used to distinguish #1 from #6, it's not used at all for ignition timing.

ok, Thank you