Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E38 idle tuning

Potential Tuner

E38 idle tuning

Alright guys I?ve looked all over and can?t find the answer so maybe some will know

Trying to fix my idle tune. When the car is cold commanded AFR is 9.56 or .81 lambda when the car warms up it idles at 9.56 still in open loop. I?ve adjusted the open loop table but makes no difference when I give it gas to about 1500 rpm goes to 10.56 AFR .95 lambda. I am on E85 but E content is 67%ish. I just need to know where to look for the commanded eq/AFR at idle any help is appreciated

Post the tune and logs.

Having .80 lambda when cold sounds normal for many vehicles, then once over 130 degree coolant temp it will be far closer to 1.00 and go into closed loop.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training

Same problem here

I am having the same problem here, see attached tune file. Insanely rich at start-up, commanding 9.6 and logging shows 20% lean. Cant stand to let it run indoors as its so rich.
    Not drivable.

2011 ss sd step one.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    Mods? Need to modify IVT Openloop multiplier chart?

Tuner in Training
    has a cam and 75/78 turbo. swapped back to factory injectors chasing this issue. the car runs pretty good on MAF only tune.

That tune wants the MAF disabled with the way you have the MAF fail settings and the dynamic airflow settings.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    That tune wants the MAF disabled with the way you have the MAF fail settings and the dynamic airflow settings.
    Yes sir, that is correct. I have MAF running fairly well but can't run SD at all because it is so rich.

Senior Tuner
    startup uses the same multipliers whether its maf or vve so sounds like u just have to adjust the VE table to get it closer to where it should be, i wouldnt run that vve when boosted without adjusting it even if ur just maf as it will use vve still if it has to, just adjust the OL gas/gear/PN tables to make OL fueling not as rich as its commanding 1.3 - 1.5 in some cold areas and that way rich, looks like its been adjusted richer not leaner as above 1 is richer in those tables same as how PE works, find a stock file if u dont have one and go back to that if its closer to 1.0

Advanced Tuner
    Larry, did you ever change your injector data when you changed injectors? If you are turbo, I doubt your stock injectors are going to keep up. What 07GTS said, that VVE is going to go dangerously lean into boost. Put it back in full MAF until you get the VVE dialed in. Also, your high and low octane charts are the same, this is bad.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    startup uses the same multipliers whether its maf or vve so sounds like u just have to adjust the VE table to get it closer to where it should be, i wouldnt run that vve when boosted without adjusting it even if ur just maf as it will use vve still if it has to, ju adjust the OL gas/gear/PN tables to make OL fueling not as rich as its commanding 1.3 - 1.5 in some cold areas and that way rich, looks like its been adjusted richer not leaner as above 1 is richer in those tables same as how PE works, find a stock file if u dont have one and go back to that if its closer to 1.0
    Thank you very much for the info, I see what you are talking about. Believe it or not, those tables are the same as the as found. But I'm going to take your advise and bring them much closer to one. I probably haven't turned this pig over 4k since I started this, been afraid to turn it much with tune being so terrible.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by NotSure View Post
    Larry, did you ever change your injector data when you changed injectors? If you are turbo, I doubt your stock injectors are going to keep up. What 07GTS said, that VVE is going to go dangerously lean into boost. Put it back in full MAF until you get the VVE dialed in. Also, your high and low octane charts are the same, this is bad.
    I did have the injector data in for the 1,000 cc injectors. I switched back to the stock injectors and data because of it being so rich. I had decided to take it back to as stock as possible and start over. No telling about the spark, I promise I'll fix it when I get fueling going my way. And I'll be damned careful in the meantime.
    I was thinking I'd run vve till around 2500 then MAF, what do ya'll think?

Senior Tuner
    u have to tune the vve anyway or at least make it closer to what it should be, if ur using the maf then u can log the right pids and get an idea of how the vve is populating and fill it out so its close, should run fine on the 1000cc with your ecu will just need the right adjustments, try this for the OL tables and i changed the ITT table to be closer for the 1000cc also, idle spark is a little odd stepped like that, if the OL tables are too lean when cold just raise it up little where it needs it
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Awesome! I'll download it tonight and let you know what it does.

Tuner in Training
    Nope
    Not much better. admittedly it did run long enough to warm up, but still 20-30 percent rich even with AFR commanded at 14.7

Senior Tuner
    have u adjusted the VVE to correct for the error then see what its like next startup ? are u getting the fail maf code ? might need to get a log of the issue for us to look at

Tuner in Training
    took some swings at the error and didnt seem to matter. I'll spend some more time with it tonight. Also I'll make sure it's setting the mAF error code. I had the lamp on 2nd error, I'll change it to 1st error and retest

Senior Tuner
    try this it should fail maf properly and couple other small changes, log maf sensor state it should show failed when running
    Attached Files Attached Files

I had a similar issue and what worked for me was reducing the OL P/N and Gas Gear table by 5% at a time until everything fell in line. Nothing else seemed to work.

Tuner in Training
    03032021 current.hpl log file from tonight.
    Just Crazy Rich! Doesn't seem to matter what I do.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Reed View Post
    03032021 current.hpl log file from tonight.
    Just Crazy Rich! Doesn't seem to matter what I do.
    It isn't entering closed loop at all. I'd start by re-enabling all of the upstream O2 diagnostics... There's a lot of things that need addressing in that file.