Thread: After start enrichment

Tuner in Training

After start enrichment

I've done some searching but cant find what I'm looking for. I'm having an after start rich condition, 10 to 11.5, that I'm trying to lean out. I have decreased all of the Cold/Warm- After Start multipliers under the fuel tab but cant get this rich condition to correct. Once she goes into open loop she sits around stoich but pig rich until then. What am I missing?My 1999 TA MAF tuneing base Rev 9[1827].hpt

I see it is in MAF only but that VE tho

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousg7 View Post
    I see it is in MAF only but that VE tho
    You will have to elaborate on that. I'm new to this so I have no idea what is wrong with the VE. learning as I go.

I've started from what I was given so the rest is a continuing process.
    1999 TA
    Forged 6.0 with 243 heads and LS6 intake
    Long Tubes, full exhaust, no emissions equipment
    72 pound injectors, 255 pump on 93 octane
    TH350 RMVB with brake, 3800 stall
    9 inch with 4:10 gears
    Full compliment of suspension, chassis, cradle mods

*Future 250 NOS car* Maybe higher

Tuner in Training
    OK, I concede to the tuning gods. I need a tuner to remote into my computer and fix this thing. Where is Matt Sorian when I need him?
    1999 TA

You could totally do it, start with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAQhoETdsRg Doesn't take long and it'll be good to have an accurate VE

Make sure you don't have a ruptured fuel pressure regulator diaphragm. Pull the vac line while the pump is running (KOER or pull the fuel pump relay and short). I find it very easy to use a short jumper on the removed relay to pulse the pump every second or so on off on off on off etc. If you get ANY fuel even a small droplet you have a ruptured diaphragm. Very common.

It starts in open loop and when it warms to temp, then it goes to closed loop---fuel is controlled by the O2 sensors. You need to check your wideband to see how much you need to change your maf settings. Sounds like you need to pull some fuel out at startup. It is a good thing to also adjust the ve table as the computer references this even if you have it "disabled". If your maf fails, it is nice to be able to continue driving.
    Your Spark tables are really high in the higher rpm areas. Both low and high octane spark tables are the same. The low octane table should be at least 6 degrees less than the high. You have all the IAT,ECT,EGR spark modifiers zeroed out. Your underspeed spark table is zeroed also.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    It starts in open loop and when it warms to temp, then it goes to closed loop---fuel is controlled by the O2 sensors. You need to check your wideband to see how much you need to change your maf settings. Sounds like you need to pull some fuel out at startup. It is a good thing to also adjust the ve table as the computer references this even if you have it "disabled". If your maf fails, it is nice to be able to continue driving.
    Your Spark tables are really high in the higher rpm areas. Both low and high octane spark tables are the same. The low octane table should be at least 6 degrees less than the high. You have all the IAT,ECT,EGR spark modifiers zeroed out. Your underspeed spark table is zeroed also.
    I zeroed a lot of stuff out just to see what it did. I was almost done with the MAF tuning at one point then I found the PCV installed in the wrong position, after the can, which is incorrect for an open air can. Now I'm here pulling my hair out because its so rich, last reading I saw before I shut it down was 9.8. So aggravated at this point.
    1999 TA

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    Make sure you don't have a ruptured fuel pressure regulator diaphragm. Pull the vac line while the pump is running (KOER or pull the fuel pump relay and short). I find it very easy to use a short jumper on the removed relay to pulse the pump every second or so on off on off on off etc. If you get ANY fuel even a small droplet you have a ruptured diaphragm. Very common.
    I will check it out, thank you.
    1999 TA

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousg7 View Post
    You could totally do it, start with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAQhoETdsRg Doesn't take long and it'll be good to have an accurate VE
    Thank you. I was told to do MAF tuning first before VE. Is this not true?
    1999 TA

How did the VE get that way? I've seen some ugly stuff but I looked at that and, as the kidz say, I threw up in my mouth a little. It doesn't look even remotely like a functional VE table, except that it has a bunch of numbers in it.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    How did the VE get that way? I've seen some ugly stuff but I looked at that and, as the kidz say, I threw up in my mouth a little. It doesn't look even remotely like a functional VE table, except that it has a bunch of numbers in it.
    It was like that when I got it. Did a bunch of changes, put alot of stuff back to stock, including the VE table. It started great but still richer than I would like it. After it warmed up I did some REVS and she died on me during the RPM drop. Went to start it back up and she struggles and cuts off, hot start issues. Tune and log attached. Not sure where to go from here. My 1999 TA MAF tuneing base Rev 9[1827].hptMy 1999 TA MAF tuneing base #10.hpl
    1999 TA

Senior Tuner
    I'll be glad to help, but first, a couple questions.
    I noticed that you indicated that you're running 72 lb/hr injectors. However, the tune is calibrated for 95 lb/hr injectors. Which ones are you running? And, why so large of an injector on an NA combo?

Tuner in Training
    Good question. The injectors are 72s from FIC, the values I entered came directly from their downloadable table for those injectors. I went big because I plan on spraying the car in the future and didn't want to buy injectors again, expensive.
    1999 TA

Senior Tuner
    The injector flow isn't dictated by how much nitrous you'll be spraying. You just need enough injector to feed the engine naturally aspirated. Since you have a stock PCM, you'll need a wet nitrous kit. It supplies both the nitrous and the fuel when you are spraying. Feel free to email me if you need a tuner. [email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Email sent
    1999 TA