Thread: Knock on deceleration and at cruise

Tuner in Training

Knock on deceleration and at cruise

Hi. 2004 Chevy suburban 2500 6.0l running 95 octane fuel, cat back exhaust, k&n panel filter in factory air box, just installed wideband. Have been getting some KR around 1600 to 2400 randomly once warm, was bad when cold so modified the coolant table.
    Tied tonight while logging that I got an amount of KR on deceleration, or letting off the gas at cruise.
    Question is, should I be increasing the spark advance to allow this to burn cleaner in area of knock?

Log and tune attached for assistance please.

Anything under 2 degrees for random knock at cruising speeds or on decel I don't even worry about, it harms nothing and people only notice it because it's in the data logs. I'm sure you could mess with the timing to see if it clears up but it's really a non factor for me.

I saw a little knock under heavy load in a few spots in that log too. These old engines usually like 12.5-12.6 AFR and not 12.9-13.0 AFR at full throttle and maybe back the timing down to 25 degrees.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks 5FDP, have amended pe afr, and dropped wot timing as suggested.
    cold ping was initially audible at light throttle on first run of the day. Managed to progressively get rid of it by delaying open loop until 65 degree c coolant temp, along with tweaking the afr on open loop table vrs coolant temp.