Thread: 4.8 to 6.0 swap

Tuner in Training

4.8 to 6.0 swap

So I'm pretty new to hp tuners and I have a few questions. I'm getting ready to drop a 6.0lq9 in my 1500 with a 4.8. The motor has long tubes, cold air, and a trick flow track max cam. My question is first, should I drop in a stock 6.0 tune and go from there? And where should I start to begin dailing in. Cam specs are 283/286, Lift .585/.585, Lobe Sep. 112
    Thanks for any help.

Yes, start with a 6.0 file. You can copy 6.0 data over into yours pretty easy.

Get bigger injectors too if you only have 25lb/hr size injectors.

Do you have a stall converter? You are going to want one, it won't do that well with a stock stall.

Get a wideband oxygen sensor and read up on MAF and VE tuning. Getting the fueling under control is key. That makes idle tuning, timing changes and power enrichment stuff go way faster.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    You can change the cyl vol in your tune from 36.6 to 45.5, then copy/paste a 6.0L VE table and timing tables, and minimum airflow tables, then start tuning.
    You'll find that the stock 6.0L table will be around 30% too rich at idle, simply because of the cam. I typically take away at least that much fuel at idle, before I start to tune.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the help and info. What stall are you recommending and how many pound injectors

Probably a 2,500-2,800rpm stall. You can contact an aftermarket stall company and go over all the engine details with them and they will help you decide.

I would suggest 31lb/hr or 33lb/hr injectors for sure. Stock 8.1's run the 31's and the flex fuel silverado/surbubans/GMC's from the mid 2000's run the 33's. You could also run later model injectors from the GEN 4 trucks that are 38-50lb/hr, just takes a little different approach to putting the injector data in.

The GEN 3 injectors are plug and play when you copy the data from a file with them.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    You can change the cyl vol in your tune from 36.6 to 45.5, then copy/paste a 6.0L VE table and timing tables, and minimum airflow tables, then start tuning.
    You'll find that the stock 6.0L table will be around 30% too rich at idle, simply because of the cam. I typically take away at least that much fuel at idle, before I start to tune.
    when you are taking fuel 30% at idle, which table am I removing it from. Sorry if this seems easy but Im trying to learn. Im assuming you mean the VE table 400 and 800 rpms
    Last edited by fmtfireman; 03-01-2021 at 08:11 PM.

Senior Tuner
    You're right. I'm referring to the VE table.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    You're right. I'm referring to the VE table.
    I'm sure this has been answered but typing wideband in the searchbox gives me a bunch of results, so which wideband should I use and do I need anything to connect it. I'm using MPVI2 standard

That's usually personal preference on widebands. I like AEM widebands, easy to use and they look better in my opinion over many others.

Using the standard interface means you need to wire the wideband in through a serial adapter or doing it through a 5v reference circuit on the computer like the EGR circuit. Doing it through something like the EGR requires that you create a custom channel to log it. Many threads and youtube video's on how to set it all up.

Tuner in Training
    The 6.0 is in, has not been started yet. Is it going to be ok to run on a stock tune until I get injectors and a wideband. Wife said I had to wait for more funds. Lol

You can start it and move but not drive it daily. It will run like garbage on the open road with a stock 4.8 tune with that cammed 6.0.

Tuner in Training
    I'm going to put a stock 6.0 tune in before starting. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. Wasnt thinking lol