Thread: TCM Replacement- Ok to Write Entire?

Tuner in Training

TCM Replacement- Ok to Write Entire?

I am replacing a suspected bad TCM in a 2015 6L80 A6 Camaro SS with a used, but known to be good TCM from another 6L80. I do not know the OS or really anything about software in the donor TCM.

Is it okay to do a write entire using the MPVI and my existing TCM file? Would the preferred method be to use my VCX Nano and do the SPS write process through acdelcotds?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by AC3 View Post
    I am replacing a suspected bad TCM in a 2015 6L80 A6 Camaro SS with a used, but known to be good TCM from another 6L80. I do not know the OS or really anything about software in the donor TCM.

Is it okay to do a write entire using the MPVI and my existing TCM file? Would the preferred method be to use my VCX Nano and do the SPS write process through acdelcotds?

Thanks in advance.
    Honestly don't know if you can write the entire module with HPtuners. If you have SPS or Techline Connect like I do that is the way to go. You will likely get updates to software that are not covered in the HP tuners. GM has a funny way of updating software and not telling you exactly why the software changes numbers. Lots of time they do but many times they don't. I think it is a way to keep people from swamping the dealer to fix a problem that may not even be for the car they are bringing in. Ran into that a lot.

Tuner in Training
    @TheMechanic, thanks for sharing the insight. I will go the SPS route. Any risk with flashing the 2015 calibration onto an "unknown" TCM? It is a T43, I can say that with confidence.

AC

Senior Tuner
    I've done it on T43s and it works. Done it both with Tunercat OBD2 and HP Tuners.

Quote Originally Posted by AC3 View Post
    @TheMechanic, thanks for sharing the insight. I will go the SPS route. Any risk with flashing the 2015 calibration onto an "unknown" TCM? It is a T43, I can say that with confidence.

AC
    As long as the part number is the same as what was removed or an updated part number (used to be to get rid of old stock GM would change the part numbers on parts) you should be good to go.

I will give you one piece of advice about "confidence". I have programmed HUNDREDS of modules over the last 25 or more years of electronic controls. That includes every possible module. ECM/PCM's, BCM, EBCM, SIR's, door modules, HVAC, OnStar, Amplifiers, absolutely everything. Nothing is 100%. I have fried maybe 10 or so new out of the box or just reprogramming/updating software for bulletins, campaigns, and driveablity issues.

My process has changed over the years. I now use a good charged optima with my own fab'ed jumper cables made from welding cable. I don't use chargers. Not even "programming safe" chargers. I ctrl+alt+del and shut down anything not related to programming on my laptop. I won't start unless my battery is at least 50%. I use my screwdriver on the door latch so the BCM thinks the doors are closed. I shut the hood because newer vehicles have hood open switches, and shut off all accessories and headlights. I KOEO for at least 3 minutes so all modules can do a state of health message. If it has an aftermarket radio I completely disable it (pull fuses). During programming I don't touch ANYTHING, not the mouse, not the vehicle nothing.

At the end of programming I power cycle the system. Key out door open and then close with screwdriver. I will then clear codes and do any after programming needed. CKP re-learn, actuator re-learn, fuel trim resets, adapts clear, garage adapt learn etc. Last but not least I always let the customer/service writer know that even if EVERYTHING is done correctly you can still have a module fail and leave it stranded until another arrives.

I ruined two modules in a row on a Corvette because I didn't let enough time for the modules to all report the state of health. Then GM came out with the Kent Moore J-42236-A that let me isolate communication and programming to a single module at a time. GREAT tool. Still use it.

Advanced Tuner
    Greetings. 2008 Chrysler 300c 5.7 had issues with the tcm needing to be flashed. Dealer had it for 2 weeks. Finally get a call with a report on the flashing. They said that they couldn?t flash the tcm and now my pcm isn?t working. The problem was, put the vehicle in gear it wouldn?t show on dash... o?s with x?s in the position of the position selected. Now that?s working but now I have codes for o2?s and EGR, MDS, and u0100, u0101 no communications. I read the both the PCM AND TCM but when I go to write, write calibration selected for [NGC4] but operating system ID?s are different! Does anyone knows what would be my fix? Thank you in advance. Sorry for putting it here, I created a new post and haven’t gotten any replies... need help and hopefully I can find it!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo2gnx View Post
    Greetings. 2008 Chrysler 300c 5.7 had issues with the tcm needing to be flashed. Dealer had it for 2 weeks. Finally get a call with a report on the flashing. They said that they couldn?t flash the tcm and now my pcm isn?t working. The problem was, put the vehicle in gear it wouldn?t show on dash... o?s with x?s in the position of the position selected. Now that?s working but now I have codes for o2?s and EGR, MDS, and u0100, u0101 no communications. I read the both the PCM AND TCM but when I go to write, write calibration selected for [NGC4] but operating system ID?s are different! Does anyone knows what would be my fix? Thank you in advance. Sorry for putting it here, I created a new post and haven’t gotten any replies... need help and hopefully I can find it!
    If you had all these problems AFTER the dealer attempted a replacement and flash they likely failed to program the module(s). That is either they had a programming failure or programmed with the incorrect info. Up to them to fix it. If they refuse your only choice is to take it to another dealer for the fix and they get the money from the original dealer. Either willing or small claims. Document document document.

Advanced Tuner
    I called the next dodge dealer that is I my area and they said they would not be willing to touch the vehicle and there’s nothing can do.is there a way to try to tune just the pcm by itself and not both the tcm and pcm at the same time? Maybe if I’m only tuning 1 module maybe the operating ID numbers won’t be taken in consideration? I don’t know what else to do at this moment. I got screwed by the fist dealer for 5hrs of diagnostic and the flashing!

I am always hesitant to recommend other mechanics or services because. Just because it worked out for me does not mean it will work out for someone else. Then all the sudden I get a strike because of it. Here is what "I" would do in your shoes. Take it or leave it. Get both modules. This place will ship you out a pre programmed ECM/PCM or TCM. I have heard that sometimes they are slow to ship. I have used them 3 times for Chrysler stuff and had good success without programming keys. Your luck may vary.
    https://www.fs1inc.com/programming?g...iAAEgJQP_D_BwE

Tuner in Training
    @TheMechanic WOW! LOVE it! I will immediately adopt your routine/standards as my own. This is the kind of advice and insight that makes me really miss the golden age of forums. This one (HPTuners) remains good, but it seems to me that the golden age of the forum was lost in the 2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    As long as the part number is the same as what was removed or an updated part number (used to be to get rid of old stock GM would change the part numbers on parts) you should be good to go.

I will give you one piece of advice about "confidence". I have programmed HUNDREDS of modules over the last 25 or more years of electronic controls. That includes every possible module. ECM/PCM's, BCM, EBCM, SIR's, door modules, HVAC, OnStar, Amplifiers, absolutely everything. Nothing is 100%. I have fried maybe 10 or so new out of the box or just reprogramming/updating software for bulletins, campaigns, and driveablity issues.

My process has changed over the years. I now use a good charged optima with my own fab'ed jumper cables made from welding cable. I don't use chargers. Not even "programming safe" chargers. I ctrl+alt+del and shut down anything not related to programming on my laptop. I won't start unless my battery is at least 50%. I use my screwdriver on the door latch so the BCM thinks the doors are closed. I shut the hood because newer vehicles have hood open switches, and shut off all accessories and headlights. I KOEO for at least 3 minutes so all modules can do a state of health message. If it has an aftermarket radio I completely disable it (pull fuses). During programming I don't touch ANYTHING, not the mouse, not the vehicle nothing.

At the end of programming I power cycle the system. Key out door open and then close with screwdriver. I will then clear codes and do any after programming needed. CKP re-learn, actuator re-learn, fuel trim resets, adapts clear, garage adapt learn etc. Last but not least I always let the customer/service writer know that even if EVERYTHING is done correctly you can still have a module fail and leave it stranded until another arrives.

I ruined two modules in a row on a Corvette because I didn't let enough time for the modules to all report the state of health. Then GM came out with the Kent Moore J-42236-A that let me isolate communication and programming to a single module at a time. GREAT tool. Still use it.

Advanced Tuner
    Question. When we tune with hp licenses, is the license married to the vin or the module’s operating system number? I just got back from the dealer that I asked to flash the TCM. Found out from the text and not the service writer nor the service manager, the service writer wrote the ticket for the PCM and not my TCM! The tech continued to say that the tunes would be married to the operating system number and not the vin and would have to buy new license for the PCM, is that true? Also, I attempted to tune just the PCM without the TCM but I canceled because I didn’t know what the 3 options would do in the drop down menu.. neither options were to not to write... so I canceled and went to work. Now hopefully I would be able to write to both in the end! Could the tech be correct about tuning licenses are married to the operating system number and not the vin...

Tuner in Training
    Was this on TCM with the same part number?

What about different part numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    I've done it on T43s and it works. Done it both with Tunercat OBD2 and HP Tuners.

Tuner in Training
    Transparency, I do not know for sure. I think it is married to the VIN, and possibly a serial number of the PCM module. I do not think the license is tied to the operating system number.

In your case, it should not matter. I think the license is tied to the VIN, and if the dealer reflashed it, there is a good chance it has the same OS number. Here is what I would do.

1) Get your MPVI and read out the tune in the car right now. 2) open the tune you read out, go to edit>calibration details>controllers. Note the operating system number. 3) open your old tune file (before the dealer flashed it) and look at operating system numbers. If they match, flash your old tune onto the PCM. Choose write calibration. Done. 4) If they are different numbers, you should copy over all of the settings from your old tune to the new tune (with different os) using the compare feature. Now flash the tune with the new OS back onto the PCM. Choose write calibration. Done.

If you replaced the PCM, you are probably going to need to relicense the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo2gnx View Post
    Question. When we tune with hp licenses, is the license married to the vin or the module?s operating system number? I just got back from the dealer that I asked to flash the TCM. Found out from the text and not the service writer nor the service manager, the service writer wrote the ticket for the PCM and not my TCM! The tech continued to say that the tunes would be married to the operating system number and not the vin and would have to buy new license for the PCM, is that true? Also, I attempted to tune just the PCM without the TCM but I canceled because I didn?t know what the 3 options would do in the drop down menu.. neither options were to not to write... so I canceled and went to work. Now hopefully I would be able to write to both in the end! Could the tech be correct about tuning licenses are married to the operating system number and not the vin...
    Last edited by AC3; 03-05-2021 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Typos

Advanced Tuner
    @AC3, I will try what you recommend. I didn’t replace any modules unless the dealer did. I brought the car in to flash the TCM because I tried to do a reset adaptives and relearn without the right scanner. I used a snapon modis, the tech explained that that can be done but with a scanner with the proper software, no soft in the modis. So they said they would flash it. A week and and a few days they call me to say they fixed the TCM issue but now I have issues with my PCM, EGR, MDS and o2’s all this was deleted with the first tune and now the car won’t start because of the mods. I will try what you recommend on checking those tunes And comparing.if I purchase new licenses, will it work correctly if the two operating systems have different operating system ID’s? Or will have two license, the original licenses for the TCM and the new lives for the flashed PCM? Also how to tune to just 1 module and not both? I clicked the drop down for the TCM and there were no option to not write to this particular module. Thanks again for all of you guys help!