Thread: EQ good but EQ cmd varies more than expected

Tuner in Training

EQ good but EQ cmd varies more than expected

First time posting but have been studying for several months and tuning for a few weeks. Have been logging EQ error to tune the lo and high maf tables on an E40 setup. I started out at around 30% rich across the board. My long drive to work makes for great logging opportunities. Recently I got the EQ error to within 1% except on the very fringes where I planned to narrow those in by hand via my error graphs. Since the weather has warmed up a bit, my error is now showing an average of 2.5% lean. The AFR is pretty spot on, it's EQ commanded that has changed. Is this due to the change in ambient temps? If so does that mean my IAT cal's are wrong? Or do the logs look normal for MAF only?

Truck info below:
    2005 Canyon Crew Cab
    L33 5.3, 799 heads, BTR stage 2 truck cam, LS2 valve springs
    TBSS intake, LC9 36lb injectors, L92 Throttle body, LS7 style maf (2011 Canyon V8 to be exact GM#15865791)
    Tri-y headers, 5 speed
    E40 ECM, programmed as an SSR for BCM communications, 2bar OS upgrade, Current Performance custom harness, ATS-V pwm rad fan

Retains heat and AC. Swap used as many OEM components as possible for the 355 platform. I also have a 2011 Canyon with a factory V8 so that is where my IAT settings come from. I used LC9 map sensor settings. For the injectors, I used the GenIII to GenIV spreadsheet found here in the forums. I'd appreciate a second check on my tables. Latest tune and log is attached. Tune hasn't been altered in a couple of days even though I'm still logging. It is still running MAF only to make sure I've got things dialed in before I tackle the VE table this weekend. I attached a txt change log as well, that's how I keep up with the tuning process.

Thanks
    Kane

05 Canyon V8 swap E40 - 2Bar - 004n.hpt
    05 Canyon v8 swap e40-2bar - 004n-a.hpl
    05 Canyon V8 swap E40 - 2Bar - 004n.txt

Advanced Tuner
    Looks like you've been taking some tips from goat rope.. Your issue is running in open loop which causes the EQ ratio command to dance around on the OL IVT gain table. Unless you plan to remain in open loop, re-enable closed loop now and calibrate with the narrowbands. Don't use the wideband to do a narrowband's job.

Tuner in Training
    I plan to put it back in closed loop for a couple of test drives and then start working on the VE table. I'm sure VE will be just as far off as the MAF was on the base tune. Before I started tuning it would not go into closed loop with LTFT and STFT always at zero. It was running super rich at that time, 9.9 to 10.05 AFR. Not sure what was keeping out of CL at that time so I'll report back with results. Thanks for the advice.

Attached is a log from this morning with the ambient temp near freezing. ECM referencing IVT makes sense with lower outside temps.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    O2 readiness ECT is set to 400, so that's what's currently keeping it in OL. In OL, the IVT gain table will always be referenced as a multiplier, regardless of ambient or intake temperatures. The table is meant to compensate for the difficulty in vaporizing fuel as it varies with intake valve temp and manifold pressure.

Tuner in Training
    I put everything back the way it should be but it still won't go into closed loop nor will it give me any trim readings. Not sure what is going on or what I have missed. It was doing this before and is one reason I did the open loop maf tuning.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Min Rich/Lean and Max Rich/Lean are both set to 450mv. Go back through your changelog to see when/where changes were made.

LTFT Boundaries are changed all around, same with Mode vs Airflow (???). Setting the LTFT Enable ECT really low may sound like a good idea but all it means is that you'll lose any cold start enrichment before the engine is ready and force it to try to run at stoich, and the trims will be going crazy until it's got sufficient heat in it to do that. I'd put just about everything on the Oxygen Sensors tab back to stock unless you fully understand what those changes do and why you need them.

Tuner in Training
    This is mostly the way the tune came, aside from the MAF tuning I have done. I bought a custom harness from a well known manufacturer that is of late having quality control issues. They also reprogrammed the E40 ECM with the OS from an 06 Chevy SSR since it is the only manual trans option that communicates well with the rest of the electronics in my 2005 Canyon. I was told this tune would be "enough to get it running so it can be tuned on a dyno". With rev005, I changed the ECT vs Startup ECT, Min ECT, min rich/lean, and max rich lean to the same as my 2011 Canyon to see if those settings were the issue. I'm trying to learn what everything does but info seems to be a bit scattered and details harder to search for. The trims don't go crazy, they don't show up in the scanner at all.

What is the Service Number (not the part number) on the ECM label?

Tuner in Training

I'm considering ditching the E40 setup completely and going with E67. That would require me to go to a 58x reluctor wheel but I do have a CTS-V LS2 in the garage.

OK, instead of asking a thousand questions about 'why is X changed? why is Y changed?' I just edited your 005 file. Some changes are things that were just personal preference, some were things that were flat out wrong.
    05 Canyon V8 swap E40 - 2Bar - 005 revised.hpt

Although, I do have to ask 'why?' about one thing, why are a whole bunch of upstream O2 codes set to No Error Reported? Downstream I can certainly understand, if they are, you know, not there anymore. But upstream? Don't disable upstream sensor stuff if you still have upstream sensors.

And you need to do the CKP variation learn. Some people say it's dumb and stupid and not needed and it's only for misfire detection - it's not. Whatever you have to do, temporarily wire pins to ground for park brake signal or whatever it takes. The HPT scanner does not give any feedback or instructions or pass/fail status, it's not the best choice for doing the CKP learn function especially when you are dealing with a bunch of unknowns. Tech2 is much better. When you get ready to do it I'd put the rev limiter/cutoff settings back to stock. Temporarily, just for doing the relearn procedure. Change them back afterwards.

Oops, forgot. Please add these channels to your logs, at the very minimum:
    cylinder airmass
    delivered torque
    power enrichment
    injector tip temp
    intake valve temp
    fuel system #1 status (SAE)

Tuner in Training
    Blindsquirrel, I really appreciate your help. I've been able to get my fan working thanks to some of your other posts, CT6-V PWM brushless. While still not 100% correct, it is working enough to keep the truck cool while fixing all the other tune issues. I will revisit the fan settings once I get the VE table dialed in and my AC charged. Have the stuff to do it, just haven't yet. If you have time, I would like to learn what all you changed and the why behind them.

I would love to give you answer but unfortunately I can not. The tune came that way. I'm just starting out so don't really know what to look for as far as DTC settings.

I now have a VCX Nano with the TechII emulator on my tuning laptop. The truck was running so bad to start out, I couldn't get it to do the relearn in HPtuners. I'll get that done soon. The pinion seal is pouring out gear oil since my last drive, I have to get that fixed first. I'll report back here with another log with the added channels.

Thanks
    Kane

Ah, fan stuff. How did I end up where I am? Not sure, I just tried every combination until something worked and then started fine-tuning. I haven't changed any fan settings in so long I don't even remember why I was still thinking of it as unfinished. What's that saying about it's only temporary if it doesn't work? lol.

Something strange I have never figured out, the LT/ST trims are always way off in any log made during the first engine run cycle and it does not matter if you only start the log after it's up to temp, or stop and restart the log. The engine has to be shut off and restarted and from then on the trims look much better. I only use data collected from the 2nd run cycle because of that. No idea if I have something wrong, or it's an E40 thing, or a Gen4 thing, no idea.

Trims from the 1st run cycle:
    screenshot.11-03-2021 21.53.00.png

The log from the 2nd cycle looks like this:
    screenshot.11-03-2021 21.39.18.png

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Ah, fan stuff. How did I end up where I am? Not sure, I just tried every combination until something worked and then started fine-tuning. I haven't changed any fan settings in so long I don't even remember why I was still thinking of it as unfinished. What's that saying about it's only temporary if it doesn't work? lol.

Something strange I have never figured out, the LT/ST trims are always way off in any log made during the first engine run cycle and it does not matter if you only start the log after it's up to temp, or stop and restart the log. The engine has to be shut off and restarted and from then on the trims look much better. I only use data collected from the 2nd run cycle because of that. No idea if I have something wrong, or it's an E40 thing, or a Gen4 thing, no idea.

Trims from the 1st run cycle:
    screenshot.11-03-2021 21.53.00.png

The log from the 2nd cycle looks like this:
    screenshot.11-03-2021 21.39.18.png
    Just by look at those screenshots it seems like you aren't driving very long. You need to drive for at least 1/2 hour, gather steady state data, and try to fill in as many cells as possible

Quote Originally Posted by sgod1100 View Post
    Just by look at those screenshots it seems like you aren't driving very long. You need to drive for at least 1/2 hour, gather steady state data, and try to fill in as many cells as possible
    That was an 11 minute drive to the store and a 11 minute drive back home, not a 'let's hit as many cells as possible to get this thing nailed down' tuning session.