Thread: Can someone help me figure out this idle surge during VE tuning?

Potential Tuner

Can someone help me figure out this idle surge during VE tuning?

So i have been messing with my tuning over the last couple days after putting in my new transmission, ls9 injectors, ls3 manifold. I can get MAF dialed in and then disable and start tuning VE, the closer I get to having the fuel dialed in with the VE and I get this really annoying idle surge. I have tried everything I can think of and cant figure out why I have sure while tuning VE but not MAF.

The vehicle is a 08 escalade with 230/236 .612/.617 112 LSA, 1-7/8 headers, 3x3.5 ypipe, catless borla muffler, S&B cold air intake, ls9 injectors, ls3 manifold, circle d 3800 triple disc...probably a few other mods I'm forgetting. I found a stock ls9 injector tune from the repository, scaled them out to match the ecm im using, changed the manifold volume again from a stock tune. I can tune MAF to +/- 2% and it runs great on MAF only, other than weird transmission stuff that works its way out when I start getting the VVE table dialed in. The problem is once I start getting the VVE close on fueling, I start getting a idle surge that get worse as i get closer in the fueling department. I have tried adjusting base airflow, timing, idle adaptive everything I can think of.

Maybe someone can point out what I'm missing, I have been running in MAF only for a while because I just cant get the surge to go away in VE....but the thing runs so much smoother as a whole when it references both...I just hate the surge. I have attached my tune both in MAF and VE...only difference is MAF is failed in one, as well as a log at idle in both MAF and VE...the fueling is off a little in MAF because I have been trying to adjust the idle air.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    I had a similar issue dialing in VE. Try adding some air to the idle cells in your ve table. Not sure what you have your timing at idle, but if you look at spark in your chart, adaptives are at play, bouncing your timing between 10 and 20 degrees which is causing your seasaw.

Also seems your idle is set to around 900. With that cam, it might need more.
    Last edited by Leva; 03-05-2021 at 10:31 AM.