Thread: 65rfe torque converter settings?

Tuner in Training

65rfe torque converter settings?

I?m trying to figure out how to prevent my truck from unlocking the converter and down shifting so easily mainly in tow/haul. I don?t pull very heavy loads a couple of jet skis mainly but any kind of slight throttle input to accelerate unlocks the converter and it down shifts. My wife has a QX80 that is pretty close with hp and torque as my truck but will accelerate on the interstate pretty easy with the same jet skis and doesn?t downshift to do it. Truck is a 13 ram with 392 gears. Seems like it should have enough torque to handle that.

Banned
    The truck has enough torque to pull jet skis, it?s just the way the torque converter is setup, it can be changed.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah I?ve changed some of the transmission setting but haven?t messed with any of the tcc settings as I?m not sure what they actually do and don?t want to mess anything up. I?m thinking it?s the partial to full lock threshold but any help would be appreciated

Banned
    Post up your tune file

Tuner in Training
    It would just be nice to understand what the different tables do. I know changing the tune of the converter could make a big difference in the way it drives.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Banned
    I?m not certain what all you got available for parameters. I?m working on an Allison and Duramax tune right now but when I get a chance I will take a look and make some adjustments for a starting point and give what I can for an explanation of some of it.

Banned
    You have a stock file? Some of what I?m going to do in the file probably won?t play well with what you got going on. I can see you are attempting to reduce shift flare as much as you can and get more snappy shifts.

Update:
    I?m just about done with a bunch of changes that should make shifts quicker, less flare, allow lockup much earlier, etc. I?m not sure what the 65RFE is like for shifts and lockup and whatnot, all the changes I?ve made are based off what I do for its big brother, the 68RFE.
    Last edited by Jim P; 03-13-2021 at 01:02 PM.

Banned
    Try the attached. I didn't change the shift points but heavily changed a lot of other stuff. Try it out and let me know how it is.

Tuner in Training
    Finally got to drive my drive some last night and the transmission feels way better. It?s shifting way better, converter feels way better locking up it?s even slowing the truck down better lol.

Tuner in Training
    I really appreciate you taking the time to do that. It amazes me how much stuff you can change and how much time it would take to learn it. Lots of respect to you

Banned
    Awesome, glad to hear it feels much better. I wasn?t sure how it would behave with a gasser and 65RFE as what I did was based similarly what I do for the diesel and 68RFE combos. I?ll try to at some point give some explanation of some parameters in there. What you see on the surface of your tune file is just a scratch at what was fully done with your file.

The guide here on the forums isn?t the right way to try to get better shifting a lockup action, it?s a bit of hack with what?s visible to attempt doing what the right and hidden parameters take care of. You?ll notice some of the visible parameters I either put back to stock or reduced compared to what the guide on the forum says to do.
    Last edited by Jim P; 03-15-2021 at 04:51 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Hello Jim, hope you're doing well.
    Need to do some modifications on the trans tune.
    New to HPT.

2012 daily driver Ram, need to enable 2-3 or disable 2-4 shifts.
    In Tow mode TCC lock and shifts, the truck gets very lazy when towing and driving on a slight inclination.
    When slowing down and speeding again it stays in 3rd or 4th gear. Needs to give much throttle to accelerate normally.
    Can you help with the tune?
    Glad to get your help with it.

Banned
    PM sent