Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some help with electric fans....2002 S10 5.3L

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    So it's just a coincidence then? I suppose it's possible there was some common fault/failure that affected both the fan operation and killed the BCM* at the same time. That's more plausible than a real true actual coincidence where two totally unrelated things happen at the exact same time.

*BCM 'failures' can be tricky things, most of the time there's no way to know anything other than 'it doesn't work anymore'. I got into the habit of opening the case and inspecting the board & components for any modules where that was possible (snap-together case, non-potted).
    Yea. The first time it blew the giveaway was the smell. Traced it, opened the case and had burnt components on the board. This time it blew a bunch of fuses, but then the lights still wouldn't work. Faint version of the same smell. Swapped and everything other than the fans is working normally.

Other than checking the basic things, grounds etc., anywhere else to look?

Potential Tuner
    I messed around with it a little bit more:

When I built the truck, I had a local tuner set everything up so I wouldn't have any problems. He used HP, but didn't get the speedometer, tach, fuel gauge and some other stuff quite right. The big thing was he left the Fan #2 option as AC Recirc door, so the Fan 2 relay was clicking PWM rather than latched. I thought I'd get my own set of HP and make all my own corrections and if I ever wanted to change anything in the future.

I backed his file ("Initial") up and have been tweaking on it, making changes as I go. When I went to write the first round of changes in, HP made me buy another set of credits.
    The Feb 24th version was the latest where everything was finally working properly.

The HDD on my laptop has since died, and been replaced. Then came the BCM failure and replacement.

Writing the Feb 24th file back into the truck seems to make no change, but the Tach/Fuel gauge again seem inaccurate. I tried to write buddy's initial tune, but it now says i don't have the license to do that. But I can write in a Feb 19th version (where I corrected the Fuel gauge), or it seems to write in the Feb 24th file.

Am I having a licensing problem since the SDD change and the tunes aren't "sticking" in the computer? Why does it give me license errors for one and not the other?
    Last edited by 10S10S; 03-14-2021 at 08:00 PM.