Thread: Question about fuel trims

Question about fuel trims

So I just changed from 1000 bosch?s to id1050 due to a 10% spread from bank to bank. I did math to pull5% since that is the genetic difference between the 2. Question is, my eq ratio is obviously erratic but hovers around 1.0 +\- 10% swings but short terms are constantly pulling 20+ %. To correct this I would pull from injector data to correct fuel trims and then Go back and rescale maf. Is this correct ?

Advanced Tuner
    No, if your injector data is correct you make all corrections in the maf.

Only time you dial in injectors is if your getting different fuel errors at the same maf point.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sportinawoody View Post
    So I just changed from 1000 bosch?s to id1050 due to a 10% spread from bank to bank. I did math to pull5% since that is the genetic difference between the 2. Question is, my eq ratio is obviously erratic but hovers around 1.0 +\- 10% swings but short terms are constantly pulling 20+ %. To correct this I would pull from injector data to correct fuel trims and then Go back and rescale maf. Is this correct ?
    Injector data SHOULD be static, IMHO. Not something that should be tuned on the Coyote platform. Use the spreadsheet provided my ID, it's pretty easy to navigate.
    Attached Files Attached Files

i am getting different errors at the same maf point also. before swapping injectors i wasnt getting these errors. i just calculated the difference in data ( which was 5%) and applied that to my injector data since my stuff is scaled down due to pcm ceiling. makes me think injectors need to be dialed in with 20%+ trim across the board coupled with as you stated, constantly different fueling errors at all maf points. so should i just take a big swing and pull 20% from my injector data and see where it lands or smaller say 10% and creep up?

I upgraded to ID1000 and was getting exactly the problem you describe and when I tried to apply LTFT+STFT error to my MAF it actually became worse... I used ID1000 cheat sheet data... What finally got it for me was using my new technique for MAF calibration. Check out my post I just made

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sportinawoody View Post
    So I just changed from 1000 bosch?s to id1050 due to a 10% spread from bank to bank. I did math to pull5% since that is the genetic difference between the 2.
    You should be using the actual sheets for the injectors from ID, and changing all of the values rather than just changing flow.

Tuner
    This must be a boosted engine. I’ll share my experiences with fuel trims and a 2015 coyote. For my tune, getting the fuel trims correct was a matter of adjusting MAF period and the air flow multiplier in the speed density tables. My issue was that I could not hit the targeted lambda, and my trims didn’t even look like they were trying to get there then I noticed that the air flow multiplier in the speed density tables gets smaller as rpm goes up. So I made the airflow multiplier constant as rpm increased for all the mapped points where it was decreasing with rpm, and all of a sudden my fuel trims and targeted lambda were spot on.

it shouldnt matter for the most part but this is on a sleeved and blown 3v not a coyote

Advanced Tuner
    On a 3V and older the high slope should always be set to 30 lbs/hr in all tunes regardless of how large your injectors are even if you have smaller than 30lb injectors it should still be set to 30. That will give you the absolute maximum resolution and remove all limiters (injector, airmass, fuel flow, torque etc...)

divide your actual injector high slope from 30 and thats your scaling percentage. (30/xx== 0.xxx)

multiply your actual maf transfer, low slope, injector breakpoint, manifold volume and engine size (SARCHG) by your scaling percentage.

On some cals theres a minimum airmass limiter that you may run in to which is the MINAM scalar which clips the bottom of the maf. Always set that to 0. You will know if you clip it because you will run rich at idle no matter how much you reduce the maf.

ID data is usually pretty solid. No reason to not use the actual data scaled correctly.

Advanced Tuner
    Just when I think I have my 3v optimized Decipha drops a new tidbit of info. Will be trying this as soon as the snow clears, thank you!

And by "optimized" what I really mean is "as good as I can get it"