Thread: 13 VT hard hesitation at WOT aftr flywheel mod

Tuner in Training

13 VT hard hesitation at WOT aftr flywheel mod

Pulled my transmission to put a new slave cylinder in, figured I'd do the lightweight flywheel mod & lightweight crank pulley mod- dropped 20lbs off the crankshaft. Car has every bolt-on mod, no cats, 60mm throttle body. It had someone's tune in it when I bought it..

So, after I put the transmission all back in, now its doing this hard hesitation when it comes up on boost, like ya hit the brakes. Comes back on strong if you pedal it. Its not overboosting. I'm certain its in the tune/ECU limit. I cant figure out what its mad about though. Its worse in 1st than 2nd, & not always happening in 3rd, sometimes in 4th, hardly ever in 5th & 6th. Feels TQ related. No CEL. I've seen guys post about it being a fuel line issue in other forums, but its had the fuel line mod done as well (by a local shop). Anyone help? I've tried modifying random things in the tune to no avail. Reloaded the as-bought tune in it.

Tuner
    Pull the codes. No CEL does not mean no codes all the time. Most times this issue will be fuel line related especially if you have no CEL or codes but occasionally a code will come up. List all mods specifically. If I can see tune maps I will know if tune related or not. Post on VTorg forum as well. Posting a datalog will also help.
    Last edited by trdtoy; 03-10-2021 at 09:54 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks trdtoy. I know you know ur $h!t when it comes to this car, so I'm glad to get your help. I did just see another post on here that's basically the same thing going on. I am seeing a commanded a/f spike to 28 very briefly, like the O2 sensor. Saw on his thread that he changed his fuel pump (low pressure??) & O2 sensor, ..not sure which fixed it.

I have the following mods:
    Catless downpipe, 60mm Throttle body with coolant bypassed, FMIC, 160degree thermostat, CAI, HKS45MXL plugs (HR9) gapped at .030), lightweight flywheel, stage 2 clutch, Synapse BOV, Borla exhaust (no cats), resonator delete, 845motorsports hot pipe, and someone's tune in it.

Tuner in Training
    I can run a data log. Do you want me to upload my tune?

Tuner
    Tune and datalog may both help. Does it do this on any tune you put in it? What fuel line is in the car? Pull the codes and report back.

Tuner in Training
    I checked the codes using the Torque app- it doesnt show any. Im running the SXTH Element braided fuel line. Upgraded the low pressure fuel pump with a DW300 to see if it would fix the hestitation issue, as well as replaced the high pressure fuel pump- it didnt help.

Do you know where I could find a factory tune for it? I saw a 2013 w/Auto trans tune posted on here- not sure if it would work on my manual. I'm about to say eff it and take it to the delaer and let them do the ECU tune recall and just use the tune they put in it and see if it clears it up. You wouldnt happed to have a "trdtoy tune" I could use do ya? I'll try to get a datalog and my tune posted on here soon.

I'm also about to do a massive engine build and just built the heck out of it- Molnar rods, Traum 10:1 pistons, head studs, beehive valve springs...hard to find a shop here in Kansas City thats savvy on 4cyl turbo engine builds. I want it to be perfect. Like, if the heads need port work, do it. Gonna have the turbo sent off to CTI turbo and have a better impeller put in it. its like $750. I cant afford to do a stuffed turbo, or full aftermarket, so I'm gonna try to just bump the compression ratio in the cyl and not have to run as much boost. Like to see close to 375-400 hp out of it. Prob all the tires can hold traction wise. It already eats the 235/45-17's on it, super soft Nitto's.

Tuner in Training

VT hesitate update

These are my tune and datalog. trdtoy, would you mind looking at them for me? (or, anyone else that could give me a hand)

My2013Veloster-AsBoughtTune.hpt3RD FEAR.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BrainEJ View Post
    These are my tune and datalog. trdtoy, would you mind looking at them for me? (or, anyone else that could give me a hand)

My2013Veloster-AsBoughtTune.hpt3RD FEAR.hpl
    datalog was supposed to save as "3rd gear", lol