Thread: Ls3 swapped Camaro tuned with wrong volume and injector data

Tuner in Training

Ls3 swapped Camaro tuned with wrong volume and injector data

The original tuner used 5.7 volume instead of 6.2, also left stock data in for injectors. My questions is if in theory the car was tuned perfect, how would these mistakes affect the car? It?s killing me that these are incorrect. but I?m still a novice with tuning and the car runs pretty well except for being a tad rich near idle, low rpm (-6% at most driving around). I know the car would need to be retuned entirely because to fix the bad injector data, but could I just tweak what I have to get it spot on? Or would I have to change the volume and other stuff before it could be perfect?

Thanks for any input.

Senior Tuner
    The cyl vol will certainly affect the SD calculations. But the injector data will affect the tune even more. Which injectors are you running now?

Tuner in Training
    Stock ls3, I’ve found the ls1 to ls3 conversion chart and I know it needs it. I tried it myself but it was way off, I figured that was because it was tuned on the bad data in the first place. I’ll post a log when I can, car doesn’t trim any fuel mid-top end.

Senior Tuner
    If you'll post the tune, I'll bet we can help point you in the right direction.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry, i got busy yesterday. Also, a friend purchased GRGs layout/graphs/channels and sent it to me and after using those to look at data it appears my last log was adding a little more fuel than i was thinking, but to be honest i dont know what exactly perfect looks like.

IN CAR NOWegr off dfco change to stock Stock Tune w iat changes and ltft turned off and 5.7 volu.hpt

FIXED.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Side question, in the meantime should I turn on LTFT?

Senior Tuner
    There's some odd stuff in that tune. It's operating on a MAF tune...ignoring the VE tables. The tuner pulled a significant amount of fuel out of the MAF curve in order to compensate for the larger injectors. The timing curve is odd at idle. It has a lot of timing at low rpm...around 38-40. You are correct about the displacement and the injector characterization data being incorrect.

Many tuners leave the LTFT disabled, so that it doesn't affect the WOT AF ratio. If the fuel trims are good, it won't make much difference.
    Last edited by kevin87turbot; 03-15-2021 at 11:03 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Well then the tune is dog sh*t like I suspected. Paid the guy 500 first round and another 150 a second time because I knew something wasn’t right. I guess I’ll input the injector data I’ve found from these forums and work from stock/ somewhat comparable tune and see what happens. I’ve also been thinking about a remote tune because I’m at wits end at the moment and I can’t stand knowing it’s not done right, can’t get my wideband to show any value in scanner either.

Thanks for the info man.

Senior Tuner
    I didn't review the tune..

If it means anything to you... we got to purposely lie to the ECM with large injectors on Gen 4 stuff (injector flow rate capped lower than the size of many injectors) It doesn't matter a WHOLE lot. Having proper offsets, short pulse adders, etc is pretty critical though.

I'm pretty certain too that on Gen 3 ECM's the displacement doesn't actually matter. HPtuners uses it on GEN 3 ECM's to turn GMVE to VE %. In fact there are several Gen 3/ very early gen 4 ecm's that GM screwed up on and had 5.7 entered instead of 6.0.

I'm not arguing the right stuff shouldn't have been entered. I'm just saying it's not the end of the world either.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

who did the tune, so we know who not to go to.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    Well then the tune is dog sh*t like I suspected. Paid the guy 500 first round and another 150 a second time because I knew something wasn’t right. I guess I’ll input the injector data I’ve found from these forums and work from stock/ somewhat comparable tune and see what happens. I’ve also been thinking about a remote tune because I’m at wits end at the moment and I can’t stand knowing it’s not done right, can’t get my wideband to show any value in scanner either.

Thanks for the info man.
    Let me know if you need help with a remote tune. I'll be glad to do it.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Tuner in Training
    Makes me feel a little better with what I’m stuck with right now I suppose, but the perfectionist inside me is still going crazy.

And I just might, thanks Kevin.

Car was tuned by Andy with Prime Tuning out of Fort Worth, Texas at Speedtek’s shop.
    Last edited by TheGreenBastard; 03-18-2021 at 04:33 PM.