Thread: Flex fuel conversion lq4

Tuner in Training

Flex fuel conversion lq4

I?m looking into converting to flex fuel on my 99 LQ4 build. I?m not sure if the PCM will need to be swapped yet or not. My biggest concern at this point is injectors. I?m running stock injectors and already may be in the boat of needing bigger injectors on regular gas so I don?t lose top end.
    I know I need bigger injectors for flex fuel but how big? I?m honestly eyeballing some 8.1L Marine injectors that spec at 42lb at 43.5 psi rail pressure. I?m not sure these are enough because the newer flex fuel trucks use 50 lb injectors.
    There is so much info I?m not certain WHICH injectors physically fit the truck intake and fuel rail with only the wiring harness needing to be adapted. Any help on this?

I use 12613412 injectors and they fit the truck and TBSS intakes. Caveat is they are EV6 connecters.

Tuner in Training
    I don’t mind rewiring or using harness adapters. I just wanted to make sure they physicallly fit the rails and I take without spacers or anything else. I’ll look into these.

Don't get the marine injectors. Factory flex fuel injectors for a tahoe/suburban from 2002+ are 33lb/hr, if the 6.0 was stock those might work or just get the newer injectors for a GM truck. The later models had 38's and 50's for injector size, those would be plently.

The 1999 computer can be used but that file can't. You'd have to flash the computer to a file that supported flex fuel. The most common choice is a 2002 Tahoe flex fuel operating system.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, on a slightly different note, is Unl 88/E15 considered a flex fuel? I’m wondering if that is enough ethanol blend to require the same conversion or not.