Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 21B10 recall PCM Phaser update 2017-2019 3.5L F150

Advanced Tuner

21B10 recall PCM Phaser update 2017-2019 3.5L F150

Hi,

Does anyone have a flash of the new PCM changes that Ford put out about a week ago relating to the FSA 21B10 recall? This flash is supposed to help prevent cam phaser issues.

Thanks!

Advanced Tuner
    I work for ford so I can prolly bring my lap top and do a read on the next one we do .

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill88stang View Post
    I work for ford so I can prolly bring my lap top and do a read on the next one we do .
    Awesome. Thank you!

I came here just for this. I havent had it done but wondering if i could do it in hptuners if i knew what they are doing.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by gump2388 View Post
    I came here just for this. I havent had it done but wondering if i could do it in hptuners if i knew what they are doing.
    If I had to guess they are doing something with the variable displacement oil pump to get it to prime the phasers better.
    2014 F150 EcoBoost

Advanced Tuner
    Any luck?

Advanced Tuner
    Of course we haven’t had any come in yet since I mentioned lol

Advanced Tuner
    Of course we haven’t had any come in yet since I mentioned lol
    Figures. I wonder if the 2021's have those adjustments.

Advanced Tuner
    A temporary fix is to unplug the connector on the oil pump, on the bottom left of the front cover. It will prevent the phasers from beating themselves up, until the recall or warranty work can be completed.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by danmw2003 View Post
    A temporary fix is to unplug the connector on the oil pump, on the bottom left of the front cover. It will prevent the phasers from beating themselves up, until the recall or warranty work can be completed.
    Interesting. Aren't the phasers oil starved on start up, especially on cold starts? What does unplugging the harness do?

If you unplug that harness, I imagen you'll get a code.

Advanced Tuner
    Doesn't throw a code that I'm aware of. All it does is force the variable pump to stay at full pressure. You will lose 1 or 2 mpg doing so, but you wont be damaging your phasers. The updated calibration changes how the variable pump and the OCV's behaves to prevent this. Warranty repair is required if the phasers are noisy. Ford has since added a bolt to the middle of the mega cap on later models, but I've been told that didn't really fix anything, and that it was a supplier issue with weak return spring in the phasers themselves. If the phasers are already noisy, unplugging the oil pump wont really change anything. It only prevents the issue from occurring, before that damage is done.

Advanced Tuner
    Doesn't throw a code that I'm aware of. All it does is force the variable pump to stay at full pressure. You will lose 1 or 2 mpg doing so, but you wont be damaging your phasers. The updated calibration changes how the variable pump and the OCV's behaves to prevent this. Warranty repair is required if the phasers are noisy. Ford has since added a bolt to the middle of the mega cap on later models, but I've been told that didn't really fix anything, and that it was a supplier issue with weak return spring in the phasers themselves. If the phasers are already noisy, unplugging the oil pump wont really change anything. It only prevents the issue from occurring, before that damage is done.
    So are you saying at a resting state, the oil pressure will be sustained in the phasers, keeping the lock pin in a disengaged state?

Advanced Tuner
    No... From what I understand, the phasers aren't locking when they're supposed to, I think it happens when the engine is shut off. When they do lock, they kind of slam into place, which elongates the hole they lock into. Over time, they will lock in when they're supposed to, but the hole the pin locks into is now oval and has slop in it, and will make noise. It happens over time. The increase in oil pressure helps them lock when they should and prevents that from happening. I'm not exactly sure on the specifics though, I know someone who works at ford powertrain engineering. I'll try and get some more specific information about it. But I was told unplugging the oil pump prevents it from happening, until recall work can be performed.

Advanced Tuner
    No... From what I understand, the phasers aren't locking when they're supposed to, I think it happens when the engine is shut off. When they do lock, they kind of slam into place, which elongates the hole they lock into. Over time, they will lock in when they're supposed to, but the hole the pin locks into is now oval and has slop in it, and will make noise. It happens over time. The increase in oil pressure helps them lock when they should and prevents that from happening. I'm not exactly sure on the specifics though, I know someone who works at ford powertrain engineering. I'll try and get some more specific information about it. But I was told unplugging the oil pump prevents it from happening, until recall work can be performed.
    Yes, if you can, please share the specifics.

As I understand it, the phasers are "locked" with that locking pin, at a resting state (or at idle?). When oil pressure is introduced, during start up, they "unlock", so they can "phase" or move to adjust timing. This is my general understanding of phasers. Maybe I am wrong here. During a cold start up, damaged phasers make a rattling noise for a couple seconds. I thought that rattling noise was because they didn't lock into place on engine shut down, because of a damaged lock pin spring, and that they were loose/moving around until oil pressure increased.

I'm curious how unplugging that harness will help prevent this, however. On a stock tune, during start up, I wonder if the variable pump is not at full pressure, and you are thinking that with it unplugged, it WILL be at full pressure all the time. Therefore, getting the oil pressure up sooner to keep things nice and lubricated.

Quote Originally Posted by SVT_Z06 View Post
    Yes, if you can, please share the specifics.

As I understand it, the phasers are "locked" with that locking pin, at a resting state (or at idle?). When oil pressure is introduced, during start up, they "unlock", so they can "phase" or move to adjust timing. This is my general understanding of phasers. Maybe I am wrong here. During a cold start up, damaged phasers make a rattling noise for a couple seconds. I thought that rattling noise was because they didn't lock into place on engine shut down, because of a damaged lock pin spring, and that they were loose/moving around until oil pressure increased.

I'm curious how unplugging that harness will help prevent this, however. On a stock tune, during start up, I wonder if the variable pump is not at full pressure, and you are thinking that with it unplugged, it WILL be at full pressure all the time. Therefore, getting the oil pressure up sooner to keep things nice and lubricated.
    I am really curious to get the real truth on this deal too. The way you explained it is exactly the issue that sooooo many Toyotas have. Whether sludge or a weak lock-pin spring or a weak phaser return spring....whatever the cause, when Toyotas don't get locked at shut-down they rattle at start-up.

Maybe the new Ford cal is cutting oil pressure or parking the cam a millisecond before cutting fuel/ignition at shut-down to help insure that the lock-pin has a chance to come to rest in its bed. Increasing the oil pressure more quickly on start-up is only going to shorten the amount of time that it rattles if the lock-pin was not in place when it shut down. We'll see.

Advanced Tuner
    just a heads up as of 5pm friday we were instructed to not perform this recall anymore until further notice as there have been complaints of transmission shudder after, which i verified on two vehicles i road tested to do the adaptive learning drive cycle on after the tcm was updated during the recall.

Advanced Tuner
    I did ask for some more information about the phaser and oil pressure problem. What I was told, again.... Is that there is not enough oil pressure reaching the upper end so the phasers cannot be controlled properly. Which causes wear on the locking pins as the ECM is losing control over them. Disconnecting the variable oil pump puts it in high mode provides more oil pressure to control them properly. I also asked someone who had an F150 with the 3.5 that had disconnected his variable pump, told me he noticed no change in mileage and no MIL light. I will keep asking for specific info and report back if I can get it.

Advanced Tuner
    just a heads up as of 5pm friday we were instructed to not perform this recall anymore until further notice as there have been complaints of transmission shudder after, which i verified on two vehicles i road tested to do the adaptive learning drive cycle on after the tcm was updated during the recall.
    Yep, I'm seeing this complaint everywhere. There's a TCM update included in that flash which wrecks havoc on transmission shifting.

Advanced Tuner
    I did ask for some more information about the phaser and oil pressure problem. What I was told, again.... Is that there is not enough oil pressure reaching the upper end so the phasers cannot be controlled properly. Which causes wear on the locking pins as the ECM is losing control over them. Disconnecting the variable oil pump puts it in high mode provides more oil pressure to control them properly. I also asked someone who had an F150 with the 3.5 that had disconnected his variable pump, told me he noticed no change in mileage and no MIL light. I will keep asking for specific info and report back if I can get it.
    Thanks for checking. There is also a variable oil pump section where I think you can turn it off there as well. I'm investigating.

Advanced Tuner
    Yea it’s a pretty wicked shudder for sure. We will see how long they take to update it and fix it