Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 21B10 recall PCM Phaser update 2017-2019 3.5L F150

Today a client came by with his F150. The phasers have started to rattle on start-up. Since we are waiting for the calibration to be uh calibrated I tried unplugging the connector on the front of the oil pump. It had a "low oil pressure" warning come up on the dash immediately. So I don't know if the solenoid actually lowered pressure or if the system defaulted to give that warning since it could feel that the oil pressure control solenoid was disconnected...

For those who have unplugged theirs, did you also get the low oil pressure warning?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by IARLLC View Post
    Today a client came by with his F150. The phasers have started to rattle on start-up. Since we are waiting for the calibration to be uh calibrated I tried unplugging the connector on the front of the oil pump. It had a "low oil pressure" warning come up on the dash immediately. So I don't know if the solenoid actually lowered pressure or if the system defaulted to give that warning since it could feel that the oil pressure control solenoid was disconnected...

For those who have unplugged theirs, did you also get the low oil pressure warning?
    I haven't tried it yet. I would have logged the oil pressure to see the behavior.

Advanced Tuner
    I believe this is the connector.

Edit: I can't seem to attach a pic....
    Last edited by SVT_Z06; 04-16-2021 at 10:26 AM.

There is only 1 connector on the oil pump and it goes through the front cover (passenger side of the ballancer) to a type of pressure control solenoid on the actual pump. Only 2 wires so it is all command, no sensor. Even if unplugging it did lower the pressure, in my mind, there is no chance that it could drop the oil pressure enough for a "low oil pressure" warning at idle. It must have just been a programmed reaction from the PCM when it loses contact with the solenoid to turn on the low oil pressure warning.

It would have been a good idea to scan oil pressure during the first start-up with it unplugged....but I was in the middle of 3 other jobs when he stopped by with the news that he now has the start-up rattle...and nobody on here mentioned the chance of this negative side-affect. It was stated that there were no codes and it helped the issue at least temporarily until the update can be done. I would have just plugged him into my IDS for an update but it sounds like we are supposed to hold off of that for now.

He'll be back by in a few days. I can unplug it again and scan the oil pressure next time. HPTuners does have a setting for oil pressure warning or something like that under General. I may dig into that next time if Ford still has not figured out what to do with this.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by IARLLC View Post
    There is only 1 connector on the oil pump and it goes through the front cover (passenger side of the ballancer) to a type of pressure control solenoid on the actual pump. Only 2 wires so it is all command, no sensor. Even if unplugging it did lower the pressure, in my mind, there is no chance that it could drop the oil pressure enough for a "low oil pressure" warning at idle. It must have just been a programmed reaction from the PCM when it loses contact with the solenoid to turn on the low oil pressure warning.

It would have been a good idea to scan oil pressure during the first start-up with it unplugged....but I was in the middle of 3 other jobs when he stopped by with the news that he now has the start-up rattle...and nobody on here mentioned the chance of this negative side-affect. It was stated that there were no codes and it helped the issue at least temporarily until the update can be done. I would have just plugged him into my IDS for an update but it sounds like we are supposed to hold off of that for now.

He'll be back by in a few days. I can unplug it again and scan the oil pressure next time. HPTuners does have a setting for oil pressure warning or something like that under General. I may dig into that next time if Ford still has not figured out what to do with this.
    Are you saying that he now has the start up rattle as a result of unplugging the solenoid? EDIT: Never mind. Re-read your post.

There is a setting where you can force it to stay at whatever pressure you want. It's called Manual Control. You can basically force it to be 72 PSI full time. I will try this.

Advanced Tuner
    Once the phasers are making noise, the damage is already done. Increasing the oil pressure by unplugging the connector, or by making adjustment in HP tuners was only a preventative measure. It wont fix the noise if they are already noisy.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by danmw2003 View Post
    Once the phasers are making noise, the damage is already done. Increasing the oil pressure by unplugging the connector, or by making adjustment in HP tuners was only a preventative measure. It wont fix the noise if they are already noisy.
    Right. It also may help from making it worse and prevent any further damage to the point where it starts throwing codes. Just my thought on this.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SVT_Z06 View Post
    Are you saying that he now has the start up rattle as a result of unplugging the solenoid? EDIT: Never mind. Re-read your post.

There is a setting where you can force it to stay at whatever pressure you want. It's called Manual Control. You can basically force it to be 72 PSI full time. I will try this.
    Where is this setting at?

Potential Tuner
    if you guys have more insight on this that would be great. Thank you