Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3 L83 Tuning

Cool 2015 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3 L83 Tuning

Hey all , i'm new to the forums and new to HPtuners. I havent had the chance to start using the MPVI2 but I was wondering if anyone has tuned this truck yet. I,ve installed a catback exhaust, Volant intake, and I currently have the BullyDog tuner on it (I know that can't stay). Soon I'll be adding the 6.2 L86 intake manifold /throttle body, MSD coils, possibly a Pedal Commander, and hopefully a set of long tube headers. Any help or input would be appreciated.

Lots of people have tuned that type of truck, they've been out for 6-7 years now.

Don't even bother with MSD coils, they offer nothing. The stock coils are the best thing on the market for these things, you'd just be flushing money away buying MSD's.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Don’t waste your money on a pedal commander or any other throttle enhancement device either.
    Last edited by crankz1; 03-18-2021 at 02:23 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Don't waste your money on a L86 manifold and throttle body either till after you do a cam.

Get LT1 injectors and a flex fuel sensor instead.
    2023 Ford Maverick 2.0T AWD

Ok thank you. Any input on what mods/upgrades I should shoot for? I also want to know if I can disable the AFM garbage without problems and if there's a way to disable the ABS/TCS or whichever systems prevent me from being able to do a standing burnout and or sliding. The TCS button only does so much. I already have the L86 manifold/throttle body, just haven't had time for anything yet. And what's the deal with the pedal commander? What are the cons to it? And does anyone have a tune file for just the mods that have been done so far? I want to start messing with it but I don't want to lose the gains that I had from the BullyDog after removing it.
    Last edited by Ian_AL83; 03-17-2021 at 02:43 PM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_AL83 View Post
    Ok thank you. Any input on what mods/upgrades I should shoot for? I also want to know if I can disable the AFM garbage without problems and if there's a way to disable the ABS/TCS or whichever systems prevent me from being able to do a standing burnout and or sliding. The TCS button only does so much. I already have the L86 manifold/throttle body, just haven't had time for anything yet. And what's the deal with the pedal commander? What are the cons to it? And does anyone have a tune file for just the mods that have been done so far? I want to start messing with it but I don't want to lose the gains that I had from the BullyDog after removing it.
    ABS/TCS is controlled by the BCM which HPtuners does not modify. Wire in a switch to cut power to the steering wheel position sensor under the dash to kill stabilitrack, then just turn off traction control with the dash switch.

AFM is easy to turn off with HPtuner, just a simple toggle in under the fuel tab.

Headers, flex fuel, LT1 injectors is a good start. Then a cam if you want to stay NA.

I am guessing the Pedal Commander just modifies the pedal signal. So you press the pedal 30% and it tells the computer 50%, so the truck "feels" quicker. You can do the same thing by modifying the Driver Demand table in HP if you really want it.

I don't know for sure, but doesn't the Bully Dog flash the stock computer? When you do the first read with HPtuner is should include those modifications in the file.

No tuning is necessary for the mods you have now. The stock tune will make the necessary adjustments.
    2014 Silverado L83 | Knockoff S369 Turbo | LT1 Fuel Pump and Injectors | MAST L84 Port Intake | MS3Pro Secondary Fuel Computer

Quote Originally Posted by MORLOK View Post
    ABS/TCS is controlled by the BCM which HPtuners does not modify. Wire in a switch to cut power to the steering wheel position sensor under the dash to kill stabilitrack, then just turn off traction control with the dash switch.

AFM is easy to turn off with HPtuner, just a simple toggle in under the fuel tab.

Headers, flex fuel, LT1 injectors is a good start. Then a cam if you want to stay NA.

I am guessing the Pedal Commander just modifies the pedal signal. So you press the pedal 30% and it tells the computer 50%, so the truck "feels" quicker. You can do the same thing by modifying the Driver Demand table in HP if you really want it.

I don't know for sure, but doesn't the Bully Dog flash the stock computer? When you do the first read with HPtuner is should include those modifications in the file.

No tuning is necessary for the mods you have now. The stock tune will make the necessary adjustments.
    BullyDog does flash the stock computer, what I don't know is if it can be read with HPtuner, if it can be read then I would assume I can save the tune file, remove the BullyDog tune, and then reflash it back to the computer with HPtuner "I assume", I know for sure that the BullyDog tune file is locked, at least that's what BullyDog said, so it can't be modified.

Will disabling AFM cause any unwanted issues? So stabilitrak is the culprit behind all that annoying power cut? That makes sense. And by wiring in the switch for the steering wheel position sensor cause any codes when the power is cut?

As for staying N/A I was looking at a ProCharger kit, I miss having the boost.
    Last edited by Ian_AL83; 03-17-2021 at 09:06 PM.

No, turning off AFM won't do any more harm.

You can turn off stabilitrak by holding the TCS button for 5-10 seconds but it will come back on above 25 or 35mph. I've never had a problem doing burnouts from a standstill. A can do donuts in the snow just fine if I keep my wheel speed down. But if you want it off off you need to wire in a switch to disable is for good.

If the bully dog tune is locked, you likely won't be able to read it or save it. Which is fine because you can tune it the same if not better with HP Tuners.

I have a tune for a 2015 Silverado on my other computer that I just did recently. His truck was leveled with heavy ass tires though, so some minor things like tire size and such won't match for everyone but that is fine. He also did long tube headers but that hardly changed much of anything with how the tune functions. You are welcome to view that tune file and compare it to the stock file you pull from your truck. Shouldn't have any issue copying information from it as well. It's an engine and transmission tune, truck was a 5.3/6L80e. I'll post it when I get back to it in a day or so.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    No, turning off AFM won't do any more harm.

You can turn off stabilitrak by holding the TCS button for 5-10 seconds but it will come back on above 25 or 35mph. I've never had a problem doing burnouts from a standstill. A can do donuts in the snow just fine if I keep my wheel speed down. But if you want it off off you need to wire in a switch to disable is for good.

If the bully dog tune is locked, you likely won't be able to read it or save it. Which is fine because you can tune it the same if not better with HP Tuners.

I have a tune for a 2015 Silverado on my other computer that I just did recently. His truck was leveled with heavy ass tires though, so some minor things like tire size and such won't match for everyone but that is fine. He also did long tube headers but that hardly changed much of anything with how the tune functions. You are welcome to view that tune file and compare it to the stock file you pull from your truck. Shouldn't have any issue copying information from it as well. It's an engine and transmission tune, truck was a 5.3/6L80e. I'll post it when I get back to it in a day or so.
    Ok cool, definitely interested in seeing the tune file, I just want to keep it the way the BullyDog tune had it at least, but shooting for better with a few changes. I presume I can modify the tune file you're referring to and correct the tire size? What other things were changed that wont match for the normal functions of the truck? And lastly any input on which wire I'd be going for to disable the stabilitrak with a switch? I have alldata, identifix, and several manuals to pull up the diagrams, just hoping someone's done it already and can go "yea cut the red one "

Use it to strictly compare and copy data from. You can not take the tune I will post and just put it in your computer, that will cost you money and could brick your computer. There is a compare feature built into the VCM editor that allows you to compare two files at once to see differences.

Tire size and gear ratio would probably be the only major things different. His was 3.42's and like LT 33's instead of stock 31.5in tires. Otherwise the engine side of the tune would be the same for 5.3's and the other transmission changes for shift times/pressures and torque converter settings.

Read up on some things and play around with the software. Certain changes to the transmission require resetting the transmission adapts too so that they relearn the new settings.

Here is a nice harnessed up switch and connectors to splice into a front ABS sensor.
    http://www.tuningbyshanehinds.com/20...itrak-disabler
    Easy enough to make your own or you can buy the above ready made. I made my own.
    Basically it just opens and closes the circuit to the speed sensor creating an ABS fault.
    Stabilitrak is disabled if there’s an ABS fault. No ill effects from its use other than tire life...
    Adjusting brake torque management in the tune will let you hold the brakes and roast the tires.
    The mount for the accelerator pedal flexes a good bit on these trucks. Cram something under it to stop that.
    Improved response for free.
    https://youtu.be/mAtCv32cIgI

Use it to strictly compare and copy data from. You can not take the tune I will post and just put it in your computer, that will cost you money and could brick your computer. There is a compare feature built into the VCM editor that allows you to compare two files at once to see differences.

Tire size and gear ratio would probably be the only major things different. His was 3.42's and like LT 33's instead of stock 31.5in tires. Otherwise the engine side of the tune would be the same for 5.3's and the other transmission changes for shift times/pressures and torque converter settings.

Read up on some things and play around with the software. Certain changes to the transmission require resetting the transmission adapts too so that they relearn the new settings.
    Ok cool, so can all the resets be done through VCM editor, or the scanner?

Quote Originally Posted by crankz1 View Post
    Here is a nice harnessed up switch and connectors to splice into a front ABS sensor.
    http://www.tuningbyshanehinds.com/20...itrak-disabler
    Easy enough to make your own or you can buy the above ready made. I made my own.
    Basically it just opens and closes the circuit to the speed sensor creating an ABS fault.
    Stabilitrak is disabled if there’s an ABS fault. No ill effects from its use other than tire life...
    Adjusting brake torque management in the tune will let you hold the brakes and roast the tires.
    The mount for the accelerator pedal flexes a good bit on these trucks. Cram something under it to stop that.
    Improved response for free.
    https://youtu.be/mAtCv32cIgI
    Good stuff, I ordered the male and female plugs at my shop, I'll just make the harness. And I will definitely take a look at my pedal and see if it's doin that already. If so I'll make a plate to brace everything up.

That file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

That file.
    So I presume the AFM is labeled as DOD under the Lean/Fuel Saving tab, is that correct? Also will the tune you posted work for my 2018 GMC Yukon as well? It has the same engine and trans configuration as my Silverado, just a Volant Cold Air added to it

Active fuel management is the same thing as displacement on demand.

Tables will be similar in a 2018 5.3/6L80e file, you should be able to compare and copy. Once you understand stuff more you can make your own changes as well, it's a game at the end of the day.

Active fuel management is the same thing as displacement on demand.

Tables will be similar in a 2018 5.3/6L80e file, you should be able to compare and copy. Once you understand stuff more you can make your own changes as well, it's a game at the end of the day.
    Perfect, and yea I'm gathering the game portion, shouldn't be much worse than programming a normal house computer, I was planning on saving the files from my truck and the Yukon and comparing both to the one you uploaded either tonight or tomorrow night, but for sure disabling the AFM on my Yukon shortly, thanks for all the help so far. Is there any way to change the throttle snap (the delayed drop) on my pickup? I was looking at the pressure control under airflow for the blade, the little foot note at the bottom said to set between 20-40k for better response, but I noticed the tables were all zeros across the board.
    Last edited by Ian_AL83; 04-05-2021 at 10:51 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Hoping someone can shed some light on the subject. I recently Read my 2016 Silverado's ECM and TCM. For some reason the third column below the TCM came back as "HARDWARE C304CCM 2014-2016 Corvette LT1/LT4". Does anyone know why?? Thanks

It's because that part is also used on the Corvettes, they just don't see the need to label it any different.

You don't want to read that anyway, it will ask you to buy a credit and license it when you don't need too. You should be able to either go re-read the truck, click gather vehicle information and choose not to read that module or you may be able to click the calibration details page, then over to controllers and click to remove the CCM from there. Now it will only be the PCM/TCM, which are the only two things you want anyway.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks. I already only Read the ECM and TCM due to the research I did. I was just surprised to see Corvette LT1/LT4.