Thread: 6.0 Powerstroke not writing tune

Tuner in Training

6.0 Powerstroke not writing tune

Guys I?m having issues writing a tuned file to my 05 Excursion. It stops part of the way thru with error ?writer transfer x7f negative?. This caused a no-start/turn over it I was able to get the truck back by flashing the factory file, which it did without issue. The TCM was another problem. Same error code and it took MULTIPLE tries with the factory file for it to flash the factory file back.
    I?ve tried small changes and it does the same thing.
    Tech support said it is a battery voltage/wiring related issue but I?m not sure what all could be going on. Batteries a fairly new and always have a good charge. Why would it not take the tuned file but flash the factory ECM file no problem?
    I?m wondering if the glow plug controller is pulling too much being that the key is on that long? I know it cycles on and off. FICM? Could any of those be causing voltage fluctuation problems?
    What gives?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Haulinbass02 View Post
    Guys I?m having issues writing a tuned file to my 05 Excursion. It stops part of the way thru with error ?writer transfer x7f negative?. This caused a no-start/turn over it I was able to get the truck back by flashing the factory file, which it did without issue. The TCM was another problem. Same error code and it took MULTIPLE tries with the factory file for it to flash the factory file back.
    I?ve tried small changes and it does the same thing.
    Tech support said it is a battery voltage/wiring related issue but I?m not sure what all could be going on. Batteries a fairly new and always have a good charge. Why would it not take the tuned file but flash the factory ECM file no problem?
    I?m wondering if the glow plug controller is pulling too much being that the key is on that long? I know it cycles on and off. FICM? Could any of those be causing voltage fluctuation problems?
    What gives?
    Have you tried it with a battery charger connected? Your theory on the GP could be valid. Easy enough to unplug the gp controller.

Tuner in Training
    I haven’t had a free minute to try it but I am going to Monday. I’ll throw a charger on it and pull the fuel pump and glow plug controller relays and see how that works. I just know the GP controller pulls a lot of power.

Tuner in Training
    So I’ve taken every fuse and relay related the fuel pump, FICM, glow plug. Unplugged the glow plug controller and EGR. Battery on charger and the ECM finally took it the second time I attempted to write it. I only wrote the ECM and skipped the TCM just so the key wasn’t on for a super long period of time. Did the same thing with the TCM and it wrote on the second try as well.
    It seems to get faster with each write....I did multiple files with small changes so not sure it that helped or not. Wish these Ford ECM/TCM worked like the LS ones.....

Tuner in Training
    Disregard all that. I ended up with a no start and am having to go back to square one.....

Haulinbass02 - are you able to flash the stock file back to the vehicle and it start?

Tuner in Training
    Yes it has always been able to do that. I’m taking the stock ECM file and tuning that one in stages. I had previously taken the stock file, made a change, saved that revision and then made more changes to each progressive revision and saved it as a new revision until the entire file was tuned. I’m not sure if the progressive changing and saving is doing something weird or not. I’m going to see if making progressive changes to only the stock file will help.
    I did get it to take a tuned file with a few small changes on it but it won’t take any other files with additional changes.
    I was able to get the full tuned TCM file to take and work. So not sure what all is going on but I have a running truck on a slight tune.

Tuner in Training
    When I pulled fuses and relays and initially got the entire tuned file to write to the ECM, I got a PATs error code and no-start. I have FORSCAN but I could not get it to reset PATS and it wouldn’t let me program it either. I tried disabling PATS in the HP tune and that didn’t work either. I put all the fuses and relays back in and flashed the slight upgrade file and got it running. Not sure if having the fuses out did something weird because stuff wasn’t communicating or what. But I never could get it to take any other file other than stock or the slightly revised file.

Tuner in Training
    FINAL UPDATE. Put a charger on BOTH batteries. Made sure they were FULLLLLLLLLYYYYYYY charged and left them on the batteries at 10 amp charge. The tunes then wrote without issue. These Black Oak ECM/TCM apparently pull a lot of power when they are being written to etc.