Thread: Licencing VQ37 ECU - No VIN present

Tuner in Training

Licencing VQ37 ECU - No VIN present

Hey fella's

Trying to license a VQ37 ECM but when I do a read there is no valid vin present, HP tuners give the option to generate a valid vin but when I agree to create a valid vin it comes back controller int: failed. Has anyone had this issue and is there a way around it? The ECU is no longer in the factory vehicle but this shouldn't matter?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Jchau1 View Post
    Hey fella's

Trying to license a VQ37 ECM but when I do a read there is no valid vin present, HP tuners give the option to generate a valid vin but when I agree to create a valid vin it comes back controller int: failed. Has anyone had this issue and is there a way around it? The ECU is no longer in the factory vehicle but this shouldn't matter?

Thanks in advance
    Are you trying to write this one a bench set up?

Tuner in Training
    Nope, the ECU is in a vehicle but its a conversion. (Y34 Gloria) So all it has is a 370Z engine and AT gearbox. Shouldnt be an issue tho? Main reason to reflash is so I can disable NATS at this stage and then tune for FI
    Last edited by Jchau1; 03-22-2021 at 02:26 PM.

Nope, the ECU is in a vehicle but its a conversion. (Y34 Gloria) So all it has is a 370Z engine and AT gearbox. Shouldnt be an issue tho? Main reason to reflash is so I can disable NATS at this stage and then tune for FI
    I think it being a swap is probably the issue of why it's not properly reprogramming the VIN. Or it could be something else, have you tried submitting a support ticket with a debug.dat file after you attempt a VIN reprogram?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by evan.s@hptuners View Post
    I think it being a swap is probably the issue of why it's not properly reprogramming the VIN. Or it could be something else, have you tried submitting a support ticket with a debug.dat file after you attempt a VIN reprogram?
    I have submitted a ticket, they advised me to contact an Infiniti dealer. Ticket number is 4824, submitted my hpt read file, debug.dat and VCMsuiteinfo.txt . Doesn't make sense why HP Tuners gives you a function to write the VIN but doesn't work. You are right with the fact it could be linked to the engine / gearbox being swapped but I was under the impression that all the VIN data is stored in the engine ECU? I know Uprev works with engine swaps but it may have something to do with my ECU?

I have submitted a ticket, they advised me to contact an Infiniti dealer. Ticket number is 4824, submitted my hpt read file, debug.dat and VCMsuiteinfo.txt . Doesn't make sense why HP Tuners gives you a function to write the VIN but doesn't work. You are right with the fact it could be linked to the engine / gearbox being swapped but I was under the impression that all the VIN data is stored in the engine ECU? I know Uprev works with engine swaps but it may have something to do with my ECU?
    It does work if it's in the original vehicle the ECU came from (bench is untested, it may work if you have a bench set up). Uprev doesn't license the same way we do, they don't reprogram the VIN either. The VIN reprogram is a request sent to ALL modules.