Thread: idle issues when shifting into gear

Potential Tuner

idle issues when shifting into gear

new to fuel injection tuning, I have a mdi pro with a wideband. Vehicle is a 2001 Camaro ls1 with a gm hot cam, slp air lid, headers, flowmaster 3" exhaust and a circle d 3200 stall converter.
    Issues I'm having is before the headers and torque converter I did a maf tune and it was ok, intermittently wouldn't idle when shifting in and out of gear and would accelerate to 40 and cruise with no throttle input. I got most of the hanging throttle with maf tuning but car still wanted to lurch when in gear. Figured installing a converter would help it and had to cut out the factory exhaust so I replaced it while I was there.
    Vehicle wouldn't idle after the headers. maf used to be 15:1 at idle and now is 12:1 with the headers, is this normal for such a big jump? tried to tune with speed density this time and I am not making any progress, car barely wants to idle in neutral and dies if I try to shift it into gear. I'm noticing that it is jumping 10 degrees higher in timing when shifting into gear from 18-20 to around 28, why is this such a big jump? I see that's how the factory tune has it. I'm mainly looking for a way to get it to idle so I can actually drive it to log and tune it, is there a way to get rid of the big timing jump so that it doesn't stall or try to take off?
    sorry if this is already covered somewhere else, seeming to think tuning my tunnel ram and distributor on my cuda is easier to tune than this car.
    2001 Camaro ls1 gm hot cam

Potential Tuner
    maf tuning complete high octane only speed density tunng 3.hpt
    2002 camaro stock tune file black pearl.hpt
    here is my current tune and the original tune if the links work correctly

Your open loop eq ratio must be set to 1.00 for temps above like 130 degrees. You can't tune the VE for stoich during idle and normal driving if the table is not commanding stoich like you need it to be.

The In Drive and In Park have two different values, that's why it jumps from 18 degrees to 28 degrees and if you don't want that to happen just lower the In drive to have less timing. Then make the same area of the high/low octane timing table have the very similar timing so it doesn't bounce around so much.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    maf tuning complete high octane only speed density tunng 4.hpt
    does this look better I changed the open loop eq ratio and lowered the in gear to 25 to start and tried to blend the high octane table, my low and high octane are the same. hopefully the timing change will fix my idle in gear issue, if I can get it to stay running when I put it in gear it acts like I'm foot braking the car and doesn't idle like it does in neutral/park

Potential Tuner
    ok I have finished my exhaust on the car and have been driving it all day on and off tuning the ve table, the issues I'm having is down at idle the car is surging heavily and making it hard to tune, the car has a rpm spike/drop when shifting into gear. I have a file of shifting it into gear with the car in air and my foot off the brake to show the major surging, as well as the current tune. Just want to be able to have this car not stall when shifting in and out of gear. I have not tuned much the higher rpm range of the ve table yet as I don't have a good place to do it. any ideas to fix the stalling/fluctuation would help.
    idle surging.hpl
    high octane only speed density tunng 11.hpt