Thread: Help please. Interface Issues.

Tuner in Training

Help please. Interface Issues.

My MPVI2 is 3 years old and banged up. I ordered a ribbon extension that was 3 way off Amazon. Didnt realize HP sold them, but trying to preserve and protect my interface. It only has 231 Credits, but many many times that plugged in and retunes and run over once. Worked Perfectly.

Plugged it into extension, tried to read my shop truck, next thing I have no power and blank. Eventually I found out I could hold BT button and plug it into another laptop and it would read and sync the interface. Never would work on the laptop I was using day of.

Programmed 1. Rewrote several, went to write and said I OWNED 231 credits then and it went nuts and cant read.

HP is asking for dat. files and log before sending in and though I have a Return number, wont acknowledge my emails that I cant recover the file from vehicle that caused it to brick.

Question is: Is this something I can resolve from any of your experiences? I realize they think I am from China and must have tried to clone it or something is the only thing I can figure. I wished I had time to do that but with tunes sitting in the door, do you guys have 2 interfaces in case 1 was out of service?????? I just assumed it fried my laptop.

Thanks in advance

Tuner in Training
    I will say this. With all due respect to HP Tuners, I have never seen a Company succeed who it appears takes advantage of the Ole Saying; "Son you need us worse than we need you" when it comes to service. Ive seen some awesome responses from Bill and others to some customers, but after 3 years of writing tunes, Ive asked for help 2 times including today. The first request for a RA took 7 working days for a response. I did get a response this time on the 2nd day that asked for attachment of files that can not be attached because of a dead interface. I guess you keep emailing for now 5 days to Pete that states; "to add additional comments reply to this email".

Pete if your listening there are no files to attach because the interface is dead..............I wish there were.

Did you uninstall VCM suite, then reinstall it?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    sounds like he was likely asking for your license.dat file which does not require the device to be functional, it is where the licenses are stored on your pc so that if/when your device arrives even if it is not functional at least we still have a copy of all of your licenses so we can quickly transfer them to a new MPVI2 device for you.

We do several replacements a week so this is not an uncommon situation and it sounds like Peter is asking for the correct information in this case.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Bill. I understand the nature of the beast. I sent the file and have a number. Sent the Info on the 19th. I requested another ticket and Donna responded. She stated she saw where Pete requested a return label. It only happens to me. Everytime I go to Wal Mart there is a price check right in front of me. I do know how and did send an attached file. I rechecked my sent emails. Guess Ill wait on Pete.

Tuner in Training
    Bill I have not found an answer to having a 2nd interface. Its a small price to pay to have a backup. I know the license purchase belongs to the one you program with. Can I give the other permission to edit, if one got lost? I tune, then they upgrade later so of time is spent on the retune. Ive got a procharger car ready here at the shop that is licensed with the one I am sending back. I was ready to overnite a new one, and I guess still could and buy the 2 credits to use it.

Curious question; If you lose the one that you have years of licensing on are we just in trouble?

On another note. I was a State Legislator in another life. I am working vigoursly to push the SEMA "act". My 2 US Senators actually served in the State House when I was there. They are both Republicans. I got assurances of help. Its not a joke. Please contact everybody you can from your State in Washington or our mods will be adding electric motors instead of Turbos and Superchargers. Yes it can happen. I live in a State that fortunately does not inspect nor enforce the Clean Air Act Provisions. My fear is like the feds did with Alcohol. They were cutting our Transportation Federal dollars out if we did not raise the drinking age to 21. I do not know if the pressure came from the Legislative or Executive Branch, but forcing States to enforce the Clean Air Act alone is gonna be a killer.

Tuner in Training
    Yes Wade I got really deep into it. Reinstalled Windows, deleted and added Drivers. Its a FTDI device. Never heard of that till I was Windows digging. I think its a serial device that converts to USB. I will be blue toothing from now on if it works good. Its so easy to yank out with my foot on Vettes. The damn interface is smarter than most of us. I took it apart to look for a fuse. It has a mini SD card in it for I guess to store tunes. I didnt dare remove it and try to read it. No doubt there is protection built in. Cant blame them. The cable I tried to use was one that created 2 spots to plug OBD. I am scared to use it on my Snap On and OTC scan tools after this.