Thread: 15 Silverado cam VVE/MAF calibrations issues/questions

Potential Tuner

15 Silverado cam VVE/MAF calibrations issues/questions

First off, This is the one and only vehicle I've ever "tuned" or used HP Tuners on, so please bare with me and my rookie-ness. Yes, I'm aware a Gen 5 is probably the worst platform to learn on, but hey why not jump in the deep end to learn how to swim...

2015 Silverado 5.3L
    Texas speed stg 2 (218/226, .635/.635, 113lsa), Factory fuel lobe, DOD delete
    Texas speed long tubes, cat less y-pipe through a 3" exhaust with magna flow muffler
    Stock intake box, tube and manifold with drop in K&N filter
    AEM WB, using OBD port

Sunday I attempted to continue dialing in VVE, but the changes seemed to make it worse and ended in frustration. Drivability sucked, Error % seemed to be way off from the log before, so i decided to do a little more reading on the forums before I pushed the truck off a cliff.

My "normal" process has always been to let the vehicle get to operating temp before logging data to make changes by multiplying error % by 1/2 %, however this isn't the first time I've noticed a lean area change to reading the opposite, rich or vice-versa randomly during a log or towards the end of a drive.
    With that being said, Hypothetically, my "average" error might be +/- 2%, however at the start of the log it was reading -10% error, and end +10% error. This cant be normal, so what variables am i missing??? SOI, IVT, injector temp?

Long story short, I read forums for the rest of the evening and found that VTT "can" be left stock with good drivability on "performance" applications.

Monday I decided to go back to MAF calibration (drivability has always seemed better while calibrating MAF and its "easier") so I started out by putting the Virtual torque tables back to stock 100% (only minor changes were made previously for idles areas) and to make some changes (slightly extreme) to Idle speed control reserve values to dial in idle and idle timing. To my surprise everything seemed happy in the drive way so lets take it for a little spin and see what happens.

Drivability was 10 fold better than anything I've experienced post cam install. See attached log, My timing advance was actually close to base advance which has never happens, throttle response was great, truck seemed to sound better as well, however there are still fueling issues... no big deal ill start making corrections. see log 3-22 maf 1 file

I then wanted to check drivability for calibrating MAP on the way back home, just to see if the it was the VTT giving me issues, BUT truck drive like crap again. Giant areas of the VVE that are off worse than previous logs, Timing is way to low, but as i keep driving the areas that were averaging mostly lean or rich are now reading to the opposite end of the spectrum by the time I'm getting home... mind you ECT was above 150* before logging so... see Log 3-22 Map initial

Again, i am aware that this is a Horrible "tune" and needs a lot of work but there has to be some variable I'm not seeing/paying attention to.

Do I really need to change SOI for this cam? if so, do i just use cam specs and math to find the exhaust valve closing point and then determine the "earliest" point of injection?

Are IVT and injector temps skewing my error %? what can i do to correct this if it is an issue? From what I've read so far, i understand the concept, but i have zero understanding of how the scanner needs to be set up or if it can be done in CL or OL?

Or am I just doing everything wrong? Most likely the main issue i am having, but I'm still to stubborn to bring it somewhere for tuning...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Colin
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    For drivability I figure tuning in CL with the stock O2's is better. Unless you think the headers mess up the readings. I see both logs are in OL, my truck never ran that great in OL and I didn't get great tuning results, but I am also pretty new to this.

You can tune MAF and VVE simultaneously. Essentially you put it in MAF only and then you can tune the MAF and calc an offset to tune the VVE.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ation-for-gen4

I have stock VTT on my turbo setup and it runs great. The only time I have seen it necessary to change VTT is for idle with a cam, and only small adjustments.

If you truck runs good in MAF only, you could just turn on CL and call it a day, lots of people would call that a win.

I also learned to tune on Gen 5 with my truck. Took me a year to feel like I had a good understanding (some on the forum might say I still don't ) Stick with it, it's an awesome adventure.
    My gut feel is that you will be able to get it running great with just the MAF and VVE, with a little lowering of VTT in the idle region. You could just try turning on Dynamic and CL and let the trims figure it out, and it might run great.
    2014 Silverado L83 | Knockoff S369 Turbo | LT1 Fuel Pump and Injectors | MAST L84 Port Intake | MS3Pro Secondary Fuel Computer

Advanced Tuner
    Same cam in my 6.2 and I couldn't get the VVE to line up until I did what MORLOK said. I used the O2's to tune the daily driveablity and idle. Then use the Wideband to do the WOT stuff. I just started the log right before I made the hit a arond 2,000 then stopped it as soon as I could safely hit the button. I chased my tail for weeks using the wideband for normal driving. I'm new to it too.

Potential Tuner
    MORLOK - Thanks for the info! have you used this method before? I read through it, started to set up my scanner then I realized I have way to many questions before I can start this lol.

Jonblarc7 - During SD calibration 2200+ rpm is normally within +/-5% within a few logs, and is so much easier to dial in than anything below 2200. I used the LTFT method on my MAF which was less than < 1% off on a 20ish mile highway cruise. I'm starting to think the "swings" I was seeing may have been some sort of transient garbage I couldn't filter correctly...? I was able to get a really good SD log as well which to my surprise only showed a couple spots over +/-5% error.

Thanks again guys, ill let you know how this works out for me!

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cschutt89 View Post
    MORLOK - Thanks for the info! have you used this method before? I read through it, started to set up my scanner then I realized I have way to many questions before I can start this lol.
    Assume you mean tuning MAF and VVE at the same time? Yea.. kinda.. I started messing with it after my VVE and MAF were already pretty good. Looking back through my math parameters, it looks like I tried a few different things, and I don't have any math parameters or charts I would feel good about sending to you.

I just upgraded my exhaust, so I might tackle some VVE and MAF tuning again soon and can follow-up if I figure anything more out then.
    2014 Silverado L83 | Knockoff S369 Turbo | LT1 Fuel Pump and Injectors | MAST L84 Port Intake | MS3Pro Secondary Fuel Computer

Tuner in Training
    hmmmmmm
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    ok so i am brandddd new to this and im pulling my hair out top say the least. i have a 2017 1500ltz 5.3 and i added long tube headers cat delete duals 3" out to xpipe and 3" to flow dual inlet/outlet. also added CAI and a catch can. my truck runs like dogshit and im getting a misfire code coming from cyl 4 now. it almost seems like its not firing at all. idk what im doing with the tune to be completelty honest and i dont even know where to start with this thing now. HELP

Quote Originally Posted by rhodestorelief View Post
    ok so i am brandddd new to this and im pulling my hair out top say the least. i have a 2017 1500ltz 5.3 and i added long tube headers cat delete duals 3" out to xpipe and 3" to flow dual inlet/outlet. also added CAI and a catch can. my truck runs like dogshit and im getting a misfire code coming from cyl 4 now. it almost seems like its not firing at all. idk what im doing with the tune to be completelty honest and i dont even know where to start with this thing now. HELP
    Check spark plug and wire on that cylinder. May have gotten damaged in the header install. Or just came loose. Check them all if need be.

Potential Tuner
    done and done, replaced with brand new ac delco pro plugs and wires

Tuner in Training