Thread: Converter question and converter tuning for 4l60e gen 4 5.3

Potential Tuner

Converter question and converter tuning for 4l60e gen 4 5.3

Hello

I recently had my transmission rebuilt into a 4l65e for my 08 silverado LC9 5.3, 33in tires with 4.56 gears in the front and read differentials couple months back. (FYI drove the 4.56 gears for a while before the rebuilt trans, love the gears!). I ordered a 2600 Circle D stall converter with plans on camming my engine in the future. I put the converter in with the rebuilt trans and the shift from 3rd to 4th gear was hardly noticeable with no apparent lock up from the converter, roughly 3000+ rpm at only 60 mph. Sent the converter back to circle d and they said it had a cracked stator race. No issues with install and trans was spotless, absolutely nothing wrong with the trans just a defective converter.

My tranny guy thinks that 2600 stall with the 4.56 gears is too much especially for highway driving. He claims the engine is just going to be in a higher RPM range all the time and will wear out the engine soon.

Circle d says that when the converter locks up the 1:1 ratio between engine and trans will provide the same rpm as a stock stall converter at highway rpms but this is definitely not what I saw with the cracked stator race converter the first time. My trans guy says even when the accelerator pedal gets pushed a little bit at highway speeds the converter will unlock and rpms will go up and the drivability just wont be great which makes sense.

I plan to put in the summit stage 2 high lift truck cam shortly.

Knowing I have 4.56 gears and definitely drive highway speeds at 80-90 mph (where with a stock stall was definitely not too high of rpm even with the 4.56 gears and 33 in tires) and will be installing a mild to fairly aggressive cam in soon.

What converter do I put in? Circle d 2600 stall or stock stall?

Both converters are new btw.

I loved the torque and acceleration when the 2600 rpm stall was in but the 3000+ rpm at 60 mph was just ridiculous and I hope that was only due to a defective converter. I feel the 2600 rpm would be good for that cam but want to make sure highway rpm were the same as the stock converter.

Anything I can do with hptuners to ensure the converter stays locked at those speed and/or when towing? Also is there any other tuning I should do with a higher stall converter? Only thing I have done so far is use the gear and tire wizard to adjust for the gears and new tire size.

Thanks for the input

You should have taken it to see a tuner right after the stall was put in.

You can tune it for the converter... but that's more than a short reply.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    You should have taken it to see a tuner right after the stall was put in.

You can tune it for the converter... but that's more than a short reply.

Most of the transmission shops I called said it would drive fine without the tune but I did purchase HP tuners to start out tuning and hopefully learn rather than take to another tuner. Do you have any tips as to places to start with a high stall converter tune?

Senior Tuner
    The 2600 stall converters I've seen and driven are barely noticeable when unlocked. I don't really consider converters 'high' stall until a minimum 3200 stall speed. But I've been driving vehicles with 3500 converters in them for 20 years now and getting ready to switch one of them to a 4000. Albeit not in trucks, but I tune for a shop that has been putting Brian Tooley Racing 2600s in trucks lately and they are barely noticeable and not noticeable at all when locked. Not sure how Circle D 2600s are but if it is still the stock diameter size converter which I bet it is I think it will be fine. IMO converters need to be in the 9.5" size range to feel loose. And with tuning you can keep a converter locked with light throttle increases.