Thread: Godzilla 7.3 First Tune: Woke up the Beast!

Tuner

Godzilla 7.3 First Tune: Woke up the Beast!

Against my wives better judgement I wrote a tune to my brand new F-250 and the results were great! Looking at the stock tune file I didnt see alot of areas to change. Seems like almost every table value was maxed out. I wanted to focus on solving the dead pedal feel and dial back some of the torque management. I did the following which made a noticeable difference:

1. Increase pedal characteristics by 10%
    2. Increase driver demand TQ table by 25%
    3. Increased max brake torque before combustion stability from 250ft-lbs to 500ft-lbs
    4. Adjusted power enrichment to kick in at 65 instead of 90 (forgot to add this)

I am sure there are more settings to change but these worked great for me. I didnt see much point in upping timing or messing with shift schedules since i wasnt trying to turn the truck into a street racer. There might be some advantages to swapping the "Sport" shift tables for "Base" but havent messed with those yet.

Just wanted to share since I hadnt seen anyone else besides 5Star talking about their GodZilla tunes.
    Last edited by dubbsix; 03-24-2021 at 07:39 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Sweet

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for sharing. Anytime you make the vehicle more enjoyable to drive thats always a win.

Unfortunately though just adjusting the throttle response doesnt increase power any.

Best bet is to play around with timing and fuel and see what the engine likes.

I tried copying the sport mode straight to base and it was just too much for driving all the time... I then tried pasting sport to base using "Average" and that was quite good. But what ended up working the best for me was to multiply the whole table(both sides) by 1.08 and that ended up lining up with my new redline perfect and feels really good.

When you get it just right, it's so fun. Thanks for sharing your results!

*EDIT* I also multiplied my base converter lockup by 1.08

Advanced Tuner
    Post tune

And a log, I wouldn't mind checking it out

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Anytime you make the vehicle more enjoyable to drive thats always a win.

Unfortunately though just adjusting the throttle response doesnt increase power any.

Best bet is to play around with timing and fuel and see what the engine likes.
    Ah good point. Increasing throttle response doesn't, but adding an additional 25% to the driver demand table and adjusting maximum torque certainly does on these torque based PCM's. There is certainly more to be gained, but Im pretty happy with the small changes.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Coyote View Post
    I tried copying the sport mode straight to base and it was just too much for driving all the time... I then tried pasting sport to base using "Average" and that was quite good. But what ended up working the best for me was to multiply the whole table(both sides) by 1.08 and that ended up lining up with my new redline perfect and feels really good.

When you get it just right, it's so fun. Thanks for sharing your results!

*EDIT* I also multiplied my base converter lockup by 1.08
    Oh that is a good strategy. when I am feeling more adventurous I may give that approach a try. Thanks for sharing.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dubbsix View Post
    Against my wives better judgement I wrote a tune to my brand new F-250 and the results were great! Looking at the stock tune file I didnt see alot of areas to change. Seems like almost every table value was maxed out. I wanted to focus on solving the dead pedal feel and dial back some of the torque management. I did the following which made a noticeable difference:

1. Increase pedal characteristics by 10%
    2. Increase driver demand TQ table by 25%
    3. Increased max brake torque before combustion stability from 250ft-lbs to 500ft-lbs
    4. Adjusted power enrichment to kick in at 65 instead of 90 (forgot to add this)

I am sure there are more settings to change but these worked great for me. I didnt see much point in upping timing or messing with shift schedules since i wasnt trying to turn the truck into a street racer. There might be some advantages to swapping the "Sport" shift tables for "Base" but havent messed with those yet.

Just wanted to share since I hadnt seen anyone else besides 5Star talking about their GodZilla tunes.
    Well, ive closed 116 tabs, reisntalled windows, bought a new laptop, opened and closed the forum 69 times while driving 88mph and it still DOESNT SHOW YOUR FREAKIN TUNE FILE OR ANY LOGS!

gonna call B.S. on this post based on lack of evidence....FFS man at least post the stock file......

"Yeah i did some things and got great results, yep, yessir, i did."

Advanced Tuner
    Ah good point. Increasing throttle response doesn't, but adding an additional 25% to the driver demand table and adjusting maximum torque certainly does on these torque based PCM's. There is certainly more to be gained, but Im pretty happy with the small changes.
    Tuning isn't always about making the fastest, most optimal vehicle in existence. The fact that you can buy a couple credits, taylor the vehicle to your needs, and increase the joy from it is pretty awesome. No need for something ragged edge, especially on a driver! And who cares if someone else drives it and doesn't like pedal feel, or whatever else. Its a chance to make it yours, safely and inexpensively.

These trucks make pretty good power from the factory, if it's enough for you with some torque limit changes then why mess with it. On the other hand optimizing timing might improve fuel economy, only one way to know.
    Last edited by B E N; 03-24-2021 at 09:32 AM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by thegeneralLee View Post
    Well, ive closed 116 tabs, reisntalled windows, bought a new laptop, opened and closed the forum 69 times while driving 88mph and it still DOESNT SHOW YOUR FREAKIN TUNE FILE OR ANY LOGS!

gonna call B.S. on this post based on lack of evidence....FFS man at least post the stock file......

"Yeah i did some things and got great results, yep, yessir, i did."
    Bro why are you so hostile? Im not a shop, I dont sell tunes so I have no reason to falsely claim any success on the boards.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by B E N View Post
    Tuning isn't always about making the fastest, most optimal vehicle in existence. The fact that you can buy a couple credits, taylor the vehicle to your needs, and increase the joy from it is pretty awesome. No need for something ragged edge, especially on a driver! And who cares if someone else drives it and doesn't like pedal feel, or whatever else. Its a chance to make it yours, safely and inexpensively.

These trucks make pretty good power from the factory, if it's enough for you with some torque limit changes then why mess with it. On the other hand optimizing timing might improve fuel economy, only one way to know.
    Yea good point Ben. I was explaining that to my daughter is loves tuning. I explained it was more about fine tuning the car to the way that I want the truck to feel and how I intend to use it. In the most humble sense, I think the PCM does a better job at managing timing and other small details. I would much rather tell it i want this much torque and allow the PCM to do the work.

I can't tune mine right now, I sent my MPVI in for an interface upgrade.... In the meantime I've been trolling the HP forums hard... Helping other people with issues... What am I gonna do when I don't have a laptop in the passenger seat everyday?
    Last edited by Ranger Coyote; 03-24-2021 at 02:18 PM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Coyote View Post
    I can't tune mine right now, I sent my MPVI in for an interface upgrade.... In the meantime I've been trolling the HP forums hard... Helping other people with issues... What am I gonna do when I don't have a laptop in the passenger seat everyday?
    Ah too bad man. Hopefully the turn around is quick.

Tuner in Training
    Bro why are you so hostile? Im not a shop, I dont sell tunes so I have no reason to falsely claim any success on the boards.
    Thats weird, its still not showing any tunes or log files.