Thread: Very limited data for duramax

Potential Tuner

Very limited data for duramax

I got hp tuners for tuning gas stuff, mostly a couple ls swap projects I have. But a decent part of why I pulled the trigger when I did it because both the wife?s Yukon and my duramax are having issues and I needed a good scanner to track them down. Obviously I can see everything I could need on the Yukon. But I can?t scan much of anything on the truck (05 2500hd lly). From what I?ve read it looks like hp tuners used to be able to see a lot more data on duramax but lost it in a update years back. I see it?s been brought up a couple times but doesn?t seem to have been resolved. Has anything been figured out in the last few years I can do to get some more capability? Or am I going to have to go drop 500+ on a scanner when I just dropped 500 on the tuner and 550 on a laptop? I should probably mention that the truck is tuned with efi live, but why does that make a difference when every other scanner out there doesn?t care?

Tuner in Training
    Had a similar experience with my HP. '05 LLY was previously tuned, via unknown platform, and I was only able to view a portion of the tune parameters with VCM editor. I also could not view certain pids with the VCM scanner. Had it re-flashed with the factory tune then flashed my HP tune in and boom. I could see ALOT more parameters and pids.
    Same thing happened recently on another vehicle. Custom tune was uploaded to vehicle, tune was "ghosted" as I like to say. Even my Snap-On Solus wouldn't show certain pids that I KNOW should've been in data list. My guess is that it's the company/tuners way of trying to keep their tune from being tampered with?? However, imo HPT is by far the best tuning platform that I have ever used.