Thread: locked pcm and internet required vehicles MAYBE STICKY THIS !!!

Potential Tuner

Exclamation locked pcm and internet required vehicles MAYBE STICKY THIS !!!

Wanted to start this thread to get years and models of locked pcms , and vehicles that require internet to read or flash

i start with 2001 jeep wrangler 4.0 needs internet

think this should be stickied and continue the list

Potential Tuner
    ok this solves one question *Note: 2015-2017 vehicles need to have their PCMs unlocked via the PCM Modification Service before tuning.

but main question is what vehicles require internet to read and flash ?

GO ....

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by acid View Post
    ok this solves one question *Note: 2015-2017 vehicles need to have their PCMs unlocked via the PCM Modification Service before tuning.

but main question is what vehicles require internet to read and flash ?

GO ....
    I was aware 2018+ needed internet to flash, but have never had an issue flashing anything older than 2018 without internet

Tuner in Training
    You also need internet to data log, at least 19 hellcat re does so im assuming all newer will as well. My understanding is 18 newer to answer your
    question, but what may not be as obvious is your data log will drop pids the second it loses internet connection. May work fine at the shop and get to the track and you cannot data log, Internet required!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by joeapple View Post
    You also need internet to data log, at least 19 hellcat re does so im assuming all newer will as well. My understanding is 18 newer to answer your
    question, but what may not be as obvious is your data log will drop pids the second it loses internet connection. May work fine at the shop and get to the track and you cannot data log, Internet required!
    You need internet to read/write 2018+ but Ive never had an issue logging without internet. I have logged MANY 2018+ with no internet

Tuner in Training
    HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Bill@HPTuners's AvatarJoin Date
    Jun 2004
    Ok so I just spoke to our head engineer about this and this is the feedback I received " so on some 18+ Dodges, MPIDs required the SAC to bypass the gateway, which would require internet"

so tell me more please, I chased my tail for some time to get this answer. If you know a trick please let me know!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by joeapple View Post
    HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Bill@HPTuners's AvatarJoin Date
    Jun 2004
    Ok so I just spoke to our head engineer about this and this is the feedback I received " so on some 18+ Dodges, MPIDs required the SAC to bypass the gateway, which would require internet"

so tell me more please, I chased my tail for some time to get this answer. If you know a trick please let me know!
    I have no trick. I know I can successfully log my 2020 hellcat and have never had an issue requiring internet for dataloging

Tuner in Training
    nice, he did say some, so red eye and demons may SAC to bypass the gateway like bill said. My last pass at the track was lost because internet connection tether turned off on my phone, you would never have the problem on a dyno or of you have internet service in your 2020. If you don't then that is interesting why I have to have one it is an extra step before i make a pass and it be nice if i did not have to have one. But I do 2019 Red Eye.

Potential Tuner
    "MPIDs required the SAC to bypass the gateway" why cant this be built in to the program to not require internet ?? yes we are in 2021 but internet is not available every ware, also some people prefer to just stay offline , also idk if this is with only 2018 + see above 2001 jeep wrangler requires internet

Potential Tuner
    I know this is over a year old and I've been searching here, google and youtube for this. Asked my tuner as well but no response yet. Does anyone here know if internet connection is required to reset adaptives or do a throttle learn on a 2021 Dodge with the PCM already unlocked by HP Tuners? The Bypass Cable is already installed as well. Tried my buddy's Snap-On scanner and his said it was a security gateway issue and wouldn't allow a throttle calibration either.

Edit: I've also downloaded the latest beta and even tried the Stable, and resynced the MVPI2 and double checked for bent pins on the Security Gateway Bypass Cable
    Last edited by executiV; 05-24-2022 at 05:02 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I have never had an issue with any of the scanner functions on 2018+ without internet. I can log as well as reset adaptives (as far as I can remember) with no internet.

Potential Tuner
    Latest tune revision solved my issue, so it wasn't due to wifi.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by executiV View Post
    Latest tune revision solved my issue, so it wasn't due to wifi.
    Can you provide any incite? The factory calibration needs internet to log and to do any tune revision, it wont even attempt if there is no internet it will give me no internet error, yes this is all the latest revisions both beta and stable release 19 hellcat RE bypass installed. There is clearly more to this as my car has no issues just logging with wifi is a real pain when I lose cell signal most my pids drop as well.

It would be nice to log offline at the very min!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtune View Post
    Can you provide any incite? The factory calibration needs internet to log and to do any tune revision, it wont even attempt if there is no internet it will give me no internet error, yes this is all the latest revisions both beta and stable release 19 hellcat RE bypass installed. There is clearly more to this as my car has no issues just logging with wifi is a real pain when I lose cell signal most my pids drop as well.

It would be nice to log offline at the very min!
    I've never had issue with scanner off of internet. I imagine that is a pain, possibly try to start logging off of wifi and see if it works

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by white1 View Post
    I've never had issue with scanner off of internet. I imagine that is a pain, possibly try to start logging off of wifi and see if it works
    That is what drove me crazy, I had internet connection, setup to go log fuel trims, go out for testing and come back look at log and most pids were not logged, it took me some time to figure out it was when my computer lost internet. I can have my tether turn off at the track now and lose a pass of data. I am wondering is there is any pattern to these cars, this car is a California car, I do not live in California but best deal at the time and from past experience California cars may have some monitoring, etc in the past it was additional emissions. I know others with the same year etc as mine and do no require internet so i like to get to the bottom of this mystery.

If I Start logging without internet I know right away, I do not even get rpm, wish it was that simple.

Tuner in Training
    you can search for "SGW BYPASS."
    Or just make an obd2 connector by supplying power, gnd and CAN-hi + CAN-lo to it.
    Connect CAN to green star-connector (in glove box, trunk, etc.)

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ynblpb_ View Post
    you can search for "SGW BYPASS."
    Or just make an obd2 connector by supplying power, gnd and CAN-hi + CAN-lo to it.
    Connect CAN to green star-connector (in glove box, trunk, etc.)
    I have always had the hp tuners SGW bypass installed since 2019, I will search as suggested to see if there is any new information. I know a few cars that did not have to log that recently reported problems and they ignore my suggestion to try tethering before a pass to see if it is internet related, strange because these cars never needed internet to data log before.