Thread: Closing the throttle above 4600 RPM. 2007 H3 LLR (Vortec 3700) Log Review Please.

Tuner in Training

Closing the throttle above 4600 RPM. 2007 H3 LLR (Vortec 3700) Log Review Please.

No ego here. Thanks in advance for any assist. Log, tune, and layout attached.

Things are going well as I tune this truck, but totally open to suggestions. I am wondering why it is closing the throttle between 4600+ RPM.

See time stamps 10:21, 14:04, and 15:05 for examples of throttle closing.

Details:

2007 H3 LLR (Vortec 3700)
    Manual transmission
    K&N cold air intake
    Header link
    Magnaflow hi-flow cat and catback exhaust
    91 octane

Setup as MAF only tune by setting dynamic airflow high RPM disable at 200 rpm. So far so good. After installing the header and exhaust, it wanted to stall under 2000 RPM under the slightest load... an uphill grade would cause it to want to die, especially when cold. That seems to be remedied with this tune running in MAF only mode.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by AC3; 03-26-2021 at 02:47 PM. Reason: typo

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by AC3 View Post

Things are going well as I tune this truck, but totally open to suggestions. I am wondering why it is closing the throttle between 4600+ RPM.

Details:

Manual transmission
    K&N cold air intake
    Header link
    91 octane

Setup as MAF only tune by setting dynamic airflow high RPM disable at 200 rpm. So far so good. After installing the header and exhaust, it wanted to stall under 2000 RPM under the slightest load... an uphill grade would cause it to want to die, especially when cold. That seems to be remedied with this tune running in MAF only mode.
    So it's funny that you post this. I have a cruze in running in SD, and when I tried to get it running with the maf enabled to tune that, I had great idle, perfect afr, great throttle response, but undrivable because as soon as I would pull on to the street it would fall in it's face. Your issue is likely different. So, when you go wot, you want to make sure your driver demand exceeds your predicted or max torque. Basically set your dd at the 90 and 100 rows to something higher than what your max torque tables are set to. It will ask for more than that, and therefore hitting that limit. it will want to go as high as your driver demand is asking or commanding but because your limit is set lower than what you're asking for it'll keep the throttle wide open trying to hit your actual limit to meet what the driver is demanding. If that makes any sense. If you're still seeing issues with a throttle closing you need to check your knock retard and make sure you're not seeing any KR. Also check your spark air mass and knock air mass tables and if your boosted check any of the boost tables to make sure that you're not hitting any sort of limit they would make it close. Essentially what's happening is it seasons self-reaching an equilibrium between the commanded torque or predicted to work and the driver demand and so it's closing the throttle because it's reaching where it's supposed to get to so it doesn't need to keep the throttle wide open. The idea is to keep the throttle wide open by commanding like not a hell of a lot more but a lot more than your predicted and or maxed torque and it'll keep trying to hit that so it'll keep the throttle wide open.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by AC3 View Post

Details:

Manual transmission
    K&N cold air intake
    Header link
    91 octane

This is great! I am working on tuning my 3.7 Colorado with headers, K&N intake, port and polish, cams, and injectors. Ill let you know if I find anything out.

I also have a boosted 2.9 Colorado tune I can reference.

Tuner in Training
    Great! Hope it helps you out.