Thread: Are credits specific to a VCM Suite serial number?

Tuner in Training

Question Are credits specific to a VCM Suite serial number?

I have a friend do the initial read of my Gen3 LS engine swap, removed VATS, did a few other things, then bought the credits and wrote back to the PCM.

Since then, I bought my own VCM Suite and read out the PCM and made a few more edits. But it wants an additional two credits to write it back.

Is the license you get specific to a VCM Suite serial number? If I want to work with it from another VCM Suite install & hardware, do I need to buy additional credits?

Thanks

Yep. He has the license and you don't.

If you want to make changes to your file with your own HP Tuners you need to license it.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Yep. He has the license and you don't.

If you want to make changes to your file with your own HP Tuners you need to license it.
    So the license is per HPTuners serial number/VIN number combination?

Ok - what if I start with his file? Will that work?
    Or does the the write have to be performed by the HPTuners install which bought the license?

(Just to be clear - I bought and licensed the the full MPVI2 package)
    Last edited by ergeorge; 03-27-2021 at 07:04 PM.

Yes.

You are more than welcome to start with the tune file that is already in the computer, that is pretty much your only option unless he flashed it back to stock for you and started with a stock tune file.

I would still ask him to email you the stock file so you can reference data from it if you for whatever reason needed to copy over stock tune data back into it.

Put it this way, I could buy like 5 different MPVI's and read/license my truck or your car if I really wanted too. I could have 5 different tunes on 5 different MPVI's. In short it doesn't matter who flashes the computer, it just needs to be licensed to do so. I see lots of people come on here with tunes done by friends or shops and now they want to do it themselves, rarely do any of them have problems.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.