Thread: Video Editing

Potential Tuner

Video Editing

I am trying to find a video editing program that will show the Actual time of day when video started to record. I need this to do a manual synchronization with the LOG file data from Race Capture. The Motion Platform I plan to buy will only read the LOG file and not the MP4 file from my GoPro Max. I have to know and see the Actual Time of Day time stamp in order sync them up.
    Thanks for any suggestions,comments

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorDome View Post
    I am trying to find a video editing program that will show the Actual time of day when video started to record. I need this to do a manual synchronization with the LOG file data from Race Capture. The Motion Platform I plan to buy will only read the LOG file and not the MP4 file from my GoPro Max. I have to know and see the Actual Time of Day time stamp in order sync them up.
    Thanks for any suggestions,comments
    I'm not sure that I quite understand exactly what you're looking for, but I think you have a few options. On Windows, you can right click on the file and go to the Details tab, and scroll down to the "Media created" option under Origin. That will show the minute that the video was started (but doesn't include seconds or milliseconds). I think you can do something similar on a Mac (but I'm not certain what fields that will give you).

If you're just looking to synchronize the data within RaceRender itself, then RaceRender has a few options as well. The "Side by Side" button under Input Files towards the top right will allow you to choose a file on the right as a reference (e.g. a video set to the point where you first start moving), and then choose a file on the left to sync with it. Choosing a data file (as opposed to a video) will give you the Data Synchronization Wizard options in the bottom left which include:
    • Movement: Start moving after being stopped
    • Movement: First time coming to a stop after moving
    • Altitude: Aircraft takeoff

If you select one of those and then click Sync, RaceRender will fast-forward the data file to that point in the file so that it should hopefully line up closely with your video.

If that won't work for you, you can always move the slider for the file on the right to a spot that you can easily see in the data/video and then move the left slider to match it. For my videos, I preprocess my data with a script so that movement always starts 15 seconds into the data file; so, I can pretty easily do a quick basic sync of video and data, but I always need to fine-tune it by bumping the data forward or backward a few fractions of a second (using the arrow buttons or holding Shift to halve the distance each button moves: i.e. one frame in 30fps vs one frame in 60fps) to more perfectly match the gauges that I can see in the video itself. Picking a spot in the video that I can easily match to the data is the most important part.

Tuner in Training
    what about instead if I want to display just with the time of the day? Of course it should be in sync with everything else when I sync the data

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gian84 View Post
    what about instead if I want to display just with the time of the day? Of course it should be in sync with everything else when I sync the data
    There's a "Timer - Date and Time" Display Object under the Enhanced Display Object category. Adding that will show both date and time, but if you only want the time, you can:
    1. Open the Display Object Properties of the timer you just added by selecting it and clicking the Properties button
    2. Click the Open Script Editor button in the middle of the Display Object Properties
    3. Click the Background Script tab
    4. Find the line that has: ShowDate = true;
    5. Change that true to false
    6. Click OK

That will remove the date portion of the display object. You can also set "ShowTimeAmPm = true;" to false if you'd rather see a 24 hour clock instead of 12 hour + AM/PM. TimeZone and IsDST might also need to be set appropriately.

Note: this may require the Advanced or Ultimate Edition of RaceRender. I'm not sure if Basic or Deluxe allows using the Enhanced Object Script Editor.

Tuner in Training
    thanks a lot!

Potential Tuner
    Check this article on how to add watermark to video . This will help you to add the timestamp and yeah. The software suggestion is there as well. It is Movavi. Give it a try. Should be helpful.

Potential Tuner
    Hello everyone, editing is very interested in the topic, I take care of people who are editors, I wrote about those people who are engaged in editing with the help of this site.residency personal statement editing In general, editing is very exciting for me.

Potential Tuner
    I can totally relate to needing to manually synchronize video with data from a log file. I have found that Filmora Video Editor is a great tool for this. It has a great feature that allows you to sync the timecode of your video with the log file data, so you can accurately track the start time of your video. You can even fine-tune the sync if you need to.